Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tuna

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The wife and picked up some yellowfin steaks tonight for dinner tomorrow. I've got a honey soy that I'll mix with some ginger and other things to marinate and baste. The only question left is how do you cook the tuna on the Egg? We like ours seared with some pink in the middle but this is a first for us on the egg. Any suggestions?[p]

Comments

• JoNuggs,
    sounds like a great marinade. ..sear em direct on a hot egg (500 - 600 degrees) for just a couple of minutes per side for that rare center (depending on how thick they are). . .should be simple and delicious. ..

• Thanks mad max. One last question though, what are the rules for marinating fish? How long can it go for etc...
  • JoNuggs,
    tuna's a pretty firm fish .. . i don't think there is any problem marinading overnight if you want to . ..but i'm no expert on this one. ..

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    JoNuggs,[p]Be careful of acid components in the marinades. They can actually cause a reaction that causes your fish to "cook" and you'll end up with ceviche instead. Personally, I don't marinate fish much more than an hour or so.[p]Also, be REALLY watchful of the sear on that tuna. It cooks really fast and you'll end up with it overcooked way sooner than you think if you're not careful. I'd go a minute per side and see where you are. You can always throw it back on for another 30 seconds to a minute on each side again, depending on how it's going.[p]Also, be watchful of the sugar component. It can burn.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    QBabe,[p]I couldn't have said it any better myself.[p]Perfect advice.[p]Mick