Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2nd egg

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
i have a large already. it's just myself and my wife here. any opinions on whether to get a small or medium for a second egg purchase. right now i'm leaning toward the small.

Comments

• Kinger
    Kinger Posts: 147
    Options
    lockjaw,[p]I have a large and a small and love that balance. I cook on my small 2-4 nights a week and 1-2 nights a week on the large. The small is great for quicker cooks. I do the bulk of my low and slow cooks on the large and if I have to cook for a bigger group or perhaps do pizza. I like the fact that I don't use as much charcaol on the nights that I use the small. I normally am cooking for four. I have only recently tried cooking on both eggs at the same time and love having all that flexibility.[p]JNK
  • OctoberGlory
    Options
    Lockjaw,

Like you it's just me and the wife. We started out with a large and years later added a small - great combination for the two of us.

OctoberGlory
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Morning lockjaw,
    For my second egg I chose another large.
    I mostly use it for large gatherings, holidays & dinners with multiple sides.
    A second egg is always a good decision no matter the size.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• JNK,
    my thinking exactly. it would be great to be able to fire up the small quickly after work, and also be able to use it for appetizers to pair with my low and slows.

• DobieDad
    DobieDad Posts: 502
    Options
    JNK,[p]I'm about at the same stage. I cooked on a Large for about a year, then picked up a Small and use it more than the Large, but couldn't do with out the Large.[p]Now I too am experimenting with both going at the same time. Talk about heaven on earth![p]Good luck![p]DD
  • SmokingInMO
    Options
    badbruce,
    I would have to agree with you, I just purchased my second large this last week. I was leaning towards the medium but after I punched the numbers it was actually cheaper to go with the large since I already had the accessories.

• badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi SmokingInMO,
    I have never regretted my decision, however I questioned my sanity on spending that much on a second egg especially after my wife gave my the hairy eyeball when I told her what I was planning.
    Different strokes as they say.
    Cheers,
    bruce

• Bama Hosta Man
    Options
    lockjaw,
    I started with a large and then added the X-Large. With 3 of us at home, I normally use the large. My wife was a totally on board with the purchase of the 2nd BGE. She just wanted me to make sure that I could produce enough ribs on demand. I've never regretted going with XL.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    lockjaw,
    just the two of us here too, but our order was large, then small, then medium and then mini. Of the four the small gets 55 to 60% of the use year around!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.