Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Soup on the Egg as opposed to the Stove

Options
Kinger
Kinger Posts: 147
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have never done soup on the egg. What sort of differences should I expect to see if were to try it? We make a "hearty tuscan soup" that has carrots, turkey sausage, kidney beans, pasta shells, onion garlic tomatoe sauce and tomatoes. We also do chili from time to time.[p]JNK

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    JNK,
    do it exactly you would on the stove, then stick it in the egg to simmer for any number of hours. .. i've done minnestrone (sp?) on the egg with great success. .. . pot on top of grid over inverted plate setter with dome temps in the 325 - 350 range. .. .no lid on the pot. ..if you need to add a little extra liquid to cover evaporation you can, but usually not needed due to moisture retention properties of the egg. . .careful of adding wood to your fire. ..depending on the type of soup, it can add too much smoke flavor (particularly tomato or cream based soups). .. [p]also, simmer chili in the egg. ..i always do mine in the egg. ...

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    JNK,[p]Max's comments are right-on. Beans, chili and the like are good starter cooks. Balancing a very gentle smoke on any Italian (or other tomato based sauce) will reward you with a treat that is fantastic! I like to put a homemade spaghetti sauce on the egg for about an hour (for the brick oven flavor) then dump in some mussels for about 20 minutes. Break out the French bread and WOW![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery