Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime NY Strips from NY Butcher Shoppe- First Reverse Sear

Options
Ive been wanting to try reverse sear for awhile after seeing how great the interior of the steak turns out. My previous method had worked pretty well with prime ribeyes. We had been cooking 4 minutes per side at 700 degrees. Quick and hot. Having tried the reverse sear, I don't think I will go back though. I want to try it with thicker steaks next time, I think that the outcome will be more pronounced. 

Started the BGE with my chimney and Cowboy lump (not the best, but better than the Publix junk I had used in the past). This actually was the first time cooking low and slow on the BGE so I was hesitant to leave the cooking station for fear the temperature would spike. I am hoping to get a little bit more confidence in regulating the temperature so I don't have to stand there during long cooks. (or just get a wireless thermometer!)

Put the steaks on when the BGE got to about 205 degrees. Temperature fluctuated between 215 and 260 for most of the cook. Checked the temperature about every 15 minutes and pulled the steaks after 34 minutes. The internal temperature was close to 110. I figured with these steaks being a bit thinner, the sear would probably elevate the temperature more quickly.

I pulled the platesetter and opened all of the vents. I was really surprised at how quickly the temperature shot up upon throwing open all of the vents. BGE hit 700 within 4-5 minutes. Put the steaks on 45 seconds per side. In hindsight, maybe could have done 30 seconds instead. Pulled the steaks off and let rest for a few minutes before serving. Still had a nice wide pink center. Looking forward to trying it with thicker steaks next time. 

One thing I did notice was the amount of juice the steaks retained compared to past steak cooking methods was unbelievable. The steak was extremely juicy and yet there was still a nice crust on the outside. 

Paradigm shift in steak cooking!

( Seasoning was NY Butcher shoppe brand seasoning) Great local place, but multiple locations in the southeast. Its the only place we buy meat. 

Suggestions for improving my method welcome!

Comments

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Bravo. Looks great!
    You can also let the steak rest a bit longer as you get to searing temp, then sear, and go directly to the plate. No need for another rest.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Beeeeffff. Nothin wrong with that. Looks great.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Steak looks great. Nice fork pics too. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks fantastic. Nice job. :-bd
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Sistm
    Sistm Posts: 53
    Options
    Man, those pictures are making me hungry! Looks delicious.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    looking at that second picture, the only recommendation I have is that you give me a little notice before your next cook so I can come over!  thin steaks (<1")  i'll still do direct.  imho the thicker the steak the more they benefit from reverse sear.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Really nice looking chunk of beef you've got there.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • chinnman
    Options
    My suggestion for beef is only a good salt and pepper rub. Reverse seer is great especially for the bge. Other suggestion is to add a chunk of oak during the low cook. Then pull that chunk out before kicking up the temp