Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7th Grade BBQ Research Paper

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
My daughter had to do a "Post Information Assessment Paper", as far as I can tell, it is what we called a research paper. She could choose any topic, and she selected BBQ. The only thing I did for the paper was loan her my "Smoke & Spice" book.

I had mentioned this on an earlier thread and someone said, post it. 
She just finished proofreading it, and here it is.

Enjoy:

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Wow! She did a wonderful job with the paper. I forsee a nice A for her efforts!
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Very informative and well written.  Now all you need to do is get her to cook on the grill if she isn't all ready.  Tell her nice job. =D>
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Brilliant. Love the barbecue umbrella pic. Sounds like she might be partial to Carolina style sauce?

Even learned a few things too. A+. What grade is she in?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    Options
    grege345 said:

Brilliant. Love the barbecue umbrella pic. Sounds like she might be partial to Carolina style sauce?

Even learned a few things too. A+. What grade is she in?

She is in 7th grade. I just asked her and her favorite kind of sauce is KC style.

Thanks everyone, I'm a proud papa. She has been involved with the egg in some way since I've started. Once it gets warmer I'm going to have her run it start to finish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

Nothing like Dads and their Daughters! 

Love it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Very cool.=D>
    I would have never thought to do a paper on BBQ at her age!

XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options

If she becomes an lady egger in 7th grade she will be the most popular girl in school and have a secret weapon when the time comes to land a good man! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @DMW-You are one lucky parent-to have a serious hobby of yours turn into a 7th grade paper has got to be one of your's/her's classroom/school high-lights.  Shoulda read that before I found this forum :)   Most impressive, now to keep the level of interest.  Congrats to you both-most eggcellent!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A fine paper. When I was that age, there wasn't any way to add images. Guess some of the kids are taking steps forward using the new tools.

I suppose she may at some time start cooking, and do a really good job. May seems strange, but cooking is a rare talent now.

Thanks for the share. It makes me happy.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That is just freakin awesome!!! I can just imagine how proud you truly are.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Froman
    Froman Posts: 201
    Options
  • EggBaker81
    Options
    This is a better paper than I saw from several of my classmates in Culinary school!! Fantastic work and I personally appreciate that she is aware that BBQ and grilling are two separate animals  :)
    Thanks for sharing and tell her she did great!!
  • Zuma
    Zuma Posts: 50
    Options
    Way cool.    I couldn't write a paper that well EVER.   Well done Emily!!!
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Great job. Now if dad will just send samples along when she turns it in she will get an A++ for sure. =D>

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    kids got a bright future!
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just had her read the comments and I'm pretty sure she was blushing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I see a mini in her near future.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great job on the paper.  Next time science fair time rolls around, BBQ techniques could be a winner.
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited February 2015
    Options
    That should be made a sticky on the forum. I'm impressed that she understood the difference between BBQ and grilling, as well as regional and international differences. A+ for sure. Kudos!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options

You have a lot to be proud of. Now go buy her a new mini max.

• mitch2264
    Options
    Now that just makes me smile!  Yep, a MM in her future!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :D I give that an A+! 7th grade. Impressive.
    An A Plus for Ralphie: http://youtu.be/EEedFHxSVSI
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    Options
    stemc33 said:

@stemc33 Tonight she made a comment about me getting her a mini. I told her she needs to run the small first. I think she may have a mini in her future though...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• tisoypops
    Options
    Sweet! Nice job Emily
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    DMW said:

stemc33 said:

@stemc33 Tonight she made a comment about me getting her a mini. I told her she needs to run the small first. I think she may have a mini in her future though...

That's good stuff.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Neat paper.  You might mention that she can really make it stand out on the teachers desk by smoking it a little on the egg ... without sauce that is.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• FlashkaBob
    Options
    Give that kid an A+ and then go get her an egg already. Can't you see she is trying to tell you something?

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• FlashkaBob
    Options

Neat paper.  You might mention that she can really make it stand out on the teachers desk by smoking it a little on the egg ... without sauce that is.

=)) =)) =))

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.