Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SuperBrisketBowl this weekend - Who is in?

We are getting fired up to smoke brisket on the egg... starting Saturday afternoon in time for the game on Sunday. Looking for any suggestions out there - I have only ever done one before and it was not on a BGE!
Globetrotter  ~It's all smoke and mirrors on my large Big Green Egg~
A few miles upwind of Ann Arbor, Michigan

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Unless you have a ginormous brisket, you start on Sat afternoon, you're gonna be done way early. Depending on size, I'd start late sat night early sun morning.
  • Going to have to see what size I can get at the butcher... Isn't a good guess 1.5 hrs per pound plus a couple hours wrapped in the cooler resting before serving?

• theyolksonyou
    I'm usually between 1-1.5, closer to 1, but I run 275 dome because I don't have a controller and it's easier for me. Also, if I think I'm running long I'll bump the temp as high as 325.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Trust the yolk on this. You wanna serve that thing hot not reheated.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• theyolksonyou
    grege345 said:
    Trust the yolk on this. You wanna serve that thing hot not reheated.

Coming from the man who talked me into the higher temp!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited January 2015

Here's some eggcellent links on brisket and a few observations as well. 

Brisket info:  probably more than you will ever need- http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html; http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html  and http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php  Once you are confused by all you read-just default to the above posts.  Several run at around 260-280*F on the calibrated dome thermo and figure about 1.5 hours /lb.  But aim to finish early as you don't want to be stressing trying to push the cook across the finish-line.  Each will cook at its own pace.  You can easily hold for around 6 hours in a cooler.

Key finish indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance.  Start checking at around 190*F but it could run into the low 200's.  Also don't worry that the point runs hotter than the flat.  The higher fat content protects it just fine. I cook with the point toward the BGE hinge as that is the hottest cooking area (due to air flow characteristics). It will likely be 5-10 *F (or more) hotter than the flat when you arrive at the promised land but don't worry about it.  And I'm in the slice and eat the point-not the burnt ends crowd. That's more than enough for now.

Edit:  Give the Aaron Franklin brisket youtube series a look if you want to skip the reading.

Enjoy the eats.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Thanks for the great tips. Looking forward to a trip to the butcher on Friday. Secured a new bag of BGE lump this afternoon!

• Weekend is starting to shape up nicely:

Standing by: 

1. Plow installed on tractor and fuel tank full. 

2. 14 lbs Brisket Certified Angus Beef cryo sealed brisket standing by for smoke.

3. New bag BGE lump charcoal plus hickory, oak and apple chips ready for BGE.

Parallel Forecast: 

1. 6:30PM start to 24 hours of snowfall totaling 8 - 10 inches.

2. 6:30PM brisket to be introduced to the EGG. 
    -------------------

6:30PM kickoff Sunday evening? We'll be ready.

• lousubcap
    If you are looking at 14 lbs pre-trimmed then you will likely end up somewhere in the 12.5-13 lb range.  An observation, depending on your cook temp (and it will have to be low to run on for 24 hours-controller?) starting at 6:30 PM Sat for eats 24 hours later is too early.  Now if you plan to serve early afternoon then you can get there with a healthy FTC.  But it's your cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Probably won't get it going till later... I don't have a controller but I'm planning to start the fire a little earlier and try to stabilize the egg at 225 or so... so far that has meant bottom vent open a sliver and daisywheel closed with holes open. I do have a Maverick with remote programmable temp alarms so I can be alerted if it goes goofy during the night... Planning to use the adjustable rack with the stone in it for indirect smoke/heat. 

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Can I make 2 suggestions? @globetrotter

Bump the egg to 250, 225 without a controller is hard to maintain and it will make the cook dramatically longer with little to no difference in final product.

Save your money and buy better quality lump - I use KJ lump, but it is really preference and what is available in your neck of the woods. BGE lump is expensive for mediocre lump, no matter what your dealer days.

• I just got a 15LBer yesterday and I am going to put it on around 10PM-11PM tonight to be served at around 4:30PM on Sunday.  I do mine low, around 225 and I still worry about it getting done too fast.....FTC is a great thing!

Good luck with yours, hope it comes out awesome!!

• brimee
    brimee Posts: 127

Mines going on tomorrow morning at about 5am, family got tired of brisket for breakfast. 8-}

I usually run around 300 for the dome temperature and if to much adult beverage is involved it might get a little higher or lower...

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • lousubcap
    @brimee-Too bad I can't "like/agree" with your post.  Most eggcellent!  Enjoy the cook and eats!
  • Went on at 9:30 PM... hoping that 1.5 hrs. per lb. will be about right... puts it done late afternoon. 

• Do you have any way to monitor temp? As fun as cooking in the snow is the last time I did an overnight brisket with that much snow coming down the snow clogged the daisy wheel and my fire went out.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Thanks for the note on the snow! I do have the Maverick remote set with alarms for too hot or too cold. So far cruising at 225 rack temp. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Ribs and sausage, sleeping well tonight I-)
    Seattle, WA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I've ftc'd a brisket for over 5 hours and it was still to hot to touch when I sliced it, but I would start tonight too.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • ended up with about a 10:20 start time, first time using Jack Daniels chips...they smelled awesome, but we will see what kind of flavor they give off??

Jacked up the start of my cook....lit my lump and tossed my extra wood chips on before I got the coals lit......smoke everywhere, no meat!  so I put the brisket on in the pan it was in, had to bend it to fit...then go back and take the meat out of the pan and get it back on the rack.   Man!  2 basketball games and a baseball practice, I was out of my mind and ready for bed!  Stable at 225.....time for bed!

• brimee

started mine at about 4:30 am, shooting to be ready for supper, sometime after kickoff but before half time.

JD chips are good but I prefer JD chunks.

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • AG6
    AG6 Posts: 14
    Just checked my grill temp and it's been at 225 all night. back to bed for me!
  • When I started last night, I filled to the bottom of the fire ring with BGE Lump. It was dialed in at 225. Alarm went off at 1:30 saying the rack temp had dropped under 215. I opened the bottom vent another 1/8" and went back to sleep. 

Got up at 7:30 and I guess I slept through the alarm... rack temp was 180 and internal meat temp was 149...WTF?  (Where's The Fire?) 

The BGE lump was down to about 1/2 cup of embers so I reloaded the egg and it smoldered back on up to 225 and has been there for hours. Brisket internal is now at 178 after 14.5 hours. Glad I didn't start any later.

Oh yeah, and I went on Amazon and ordered a 35 lb bag of FOGO. 

• brimee

That seems fast but I usually put my to the top of the fire ring right below the plate setter. I have never run out, one time I smoked a brisket and then cooked sides afterwards never putting in any additional lump. I also light a small fire at the bottom and cover it up never letting it light a bunch of lump at the beginning.

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • I had a great night, woke up at 4:30AM and the dome temp had not moved (230ish), checked again at 7:30AM..no change!

stalled at about 9:30, poked the grate a few times from-undo and got er back up.  Flat got to 190 at 11AM and I foiled...going to let her go for then next 2 hours or so, then FTC around 1:30 for a 4PM pre-game feast!

• brimee
    edited February 2015

wrapped and in the cooler, 13 hours...

see, it did happen....

Brian
    Fairview, Texas
  • When I started last night, I filled to the bottom of the fire ring with BGE Lump. It was dialed in at 225. Alarm went off at 1:30 saying the rack temp had dropped under 215. I opened the bottom vent another 1/8" and went back to sleep. 

Got up at 7:30 and I guess I slept through the alarm... rack temp was 180 and internal meat temp was 149...WTF?  (Where's The Fire?) 

The BGE lump was down to about 1/2 cup of embers so I reloaded the egg and it smoldered back on up to 225 and has been there for hours. Brisket internal is now at 178 after 14.5 hours. Glad I didn't start any later.

Oh yeah, and I went on Amazon and ordered a 35 lb bag of FOGO. 

For long cooks, fill'er up! Don't be shy, go waaaaay up in the fire ring. If I'm sleeping thru a cook I fill it up almost to the PS.
  • It finally got done at 5pm. Not even a scrap remains; fed all the snow shovelers in the blizzard. Thanks all for the help. Next one will be even better!