Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overboard Friday Steaks

Options
Got too enthusiastic.  Neither of us ate half of our steaks, but that left a good chunk for a friend who eats tiny meals, a Monday lunch for The Spouse, and some for steak and eggs tomorrow.

I just can't get a grip on my portions since the kids moved out.  One of these would have done the trick.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    We really need the like button back. Outstanding sir.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options
    Great looking steaks. What size egg is that? I'm thinking of getting a smaller one for the times when I'm cooking only one or 2 items
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:

Great looking steaks. What size egg is that? I'm thinking of getting a smaller one for the times when I'm cooking only one or 2 items

That is a Medium, which I sort of inherited.  You don't need to go smaller for smaller cooks, I could have done the same thing on the XL by just lighting the back, or just cooking and shutting down.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Lvnthedrm
    Lvnthedrm Posts: 153
    Options

Lvnthedrm said:

That is a Medium, which I sort of inherited.  You don't need to go smaller for smaller cooks, I could have done the same thing on the XL by just lighting the back, or just cooking and shutting down.
    Good point. Thanks. Of course following this sound advice, as I understand it, I relinquish the badge of honor by not having more than one egg.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Lvnthedrm said:

Lvnthedrm said:

Good point. Thanks. Of course following this sound advice, as I understand it, I relinquish the badge of honor by not having more than one egg.
    OK, I bought a LBGE and figured out in a week I wanted an XL.  I planned on selling the L and never did.  Then I stumbled into the M.  An XL will do everything you want, small cooks and big.  Having more than one is really nice for cooks at different temps or doing lunch while doing a long low and slow, but my advice for one is buy the biggest you can afford.

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    With the kind of meals you crank out, I'm surprised the kids ever moved away. Maybe across the street but not beyond the smell of the smoke!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited January 2015
    Options
    jhl192 said:

With the kind of meals you crank out, I'm surprised the kids ever moved away. Maybe across the street but not beyond the smell of the smoke!

They visit plenty for leftovers
    :))

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nicely done!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

We really need the like button back. Outstanding sir.

Haven't been on for a few weeks.  What happened to the like button?
    Milton, GA.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Agreed on the xl...cook twofers and it's a breeze

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    From the look of two different rubs on the rib eyes, I'd guess you have two very different palates in your house too. Nice looking steaks!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:

From the look of two different rubs on the rib eyes, I'd guess you have two very different palates in your house too. Nice looking steaks!

The Spouse just wants Natures Seasoning.  I normally do Montreal, but tonight did a Webber chicken rub that has a lot of hot peppers.  Pretty good.