Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Going to get a Stoker with my tax return, what are the must have additions?

Options
Scottborasjr
Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Going to splurge on a Stoker finally, what do you guys and gals that have it recommend? Longer cords, more pit sensors, etc....
I would need to function with my Large and medium, possibly the Small but not likely. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    This bug has bitten me as well, but I'm still in the contemplating stage. I figured I wanted longer probes and a second blower. The system I'm considering prices out at about $435. I still need more convincing.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @caliking You and me both, but I'm being swayed by the winter weather finally hitting my place of living. I still don't think it's necessary by any means, but will be good to track low cooks and not have to go outside when it's under 25 degrees. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Dang that's a lot of coin
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    I purchased an extra 6 ft food probe and the stand for mine.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options

Going to splurge on a Stoker finally, what do you guys and gals that have it recommend? Longer cords, more pit sensors, etc....

I would need to function with my Large and medium, possibly the Small but not likely. 

Big butts. And I like them. :D I'm sure you will get a butt load of info. And it's not a splurge if you want it. Treat yourself often. I never saw a brinks truck at a funeral
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I recommend figuring out placement of the controller and then visualize length of runs.
    I bought one extra food probe 8' and I'm considering getting it set-up for the MM too since it'll control multiple pits. Definitely build a watertight container for it. I showed mine in several threads (and it sufficiently protects during the worst rain storms etc). Depending on where it will be placed you may or may not want the mounting arm and bracket. The Stoker is a purchase I have no regrets with.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Hey, what about a weatherproof box?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hey nobody mentioned a watertight weatherproof box. @-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I have 2 fire probes, one for use at the grill grate. The second one, I remove the thermometer and put it in the dome.

With the Stoker Log software it allows me to graph both temps.

I also use two food probes.

The stand is a must BTW.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I was planning on making a box Probably following/stealing Blake's design :D I'm more looking at probes and such so I don't get the unit and have to order again from Rock's.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Extra food probes are always a plus. Go longer. If too long you can spool up. OTOH if too short you're up creek w/out a paddle.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    Options
    Is the length of the cord for the blower a limiting factor?what's the longest blower cord available?

• TheShaytoon
    Options
    @calking  I am going to try to convince you into getting it...

Last night I started making a pork butt.  When we woke up this morning, the wife asked if I was going out in the cold to check the egg, I answered, "Already Have!"  while still under the warm covers.  

Just now, reading the thread...hmm how is the butt coming along?  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    caliking said:

Is the length of the cord for the blower a limiting factor?what's the longest blower cord available?

Standard or you can upgrade to 8' or 10'
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    You can add extension cables to the blower/probes. From what I have read you might need to build your own since most 1/4" TRS audio cables don't use heavy enough gauge wire.

I have a feeling I'll be doing this in the not so distant future. Not because I need to, but because I want to. I like the idea of having the stoker inside and 50' cables running out for some odd reason.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    What is the highest temperature the probes can take? I'm known to go turbo on butts when time is of the essence which renders my maverick useless if the temp creeps over 350*
  • DMW
    Options
    Found a link to a good thread on extension cable setups for the Stoker.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    According to the peeps at Rocks they'll handle up to 400℉ " indirect of course". Me personally usually only use for L&S cooks/overnight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • caliking
    Options
    S crew you, Scott... i'm hijacking your thread! :)

I was looking into the Stoker for a few days then this thread came along!! Damn you all for helping me spend my money. 

I'll use the Stoker for overnight lo n slo cooks, or unattended weekend cooks so I can run about and take care of other stuff. Life is getting hectic with a 1yo! Eventually ,  I want to be able to run both the small and large off the stoker. 

Here's what I'm planning on buying. Will likely get the second blower and adapter at a later date, so SWMBO has something to buy me for my birthday :) :

WiFi Stoker II Kit - 5cfm 5105 WiFi Stoker II Kit - 5cfm
    $297.00 ea $297
    BGE Large Adapter - 5cfm 7032 BGE Large Adapter - 5cfm
    $15.00 ea $15
    8ft Probe Upgrade 9004 8ft Probe Upgrade
    Probe Type: Food Probe
    $8.00 ea $8
    8ft Probe Upgrade 9004 8ft Probe Upgrade
    Probe Type: Pit Probe
    $8.00 ea $8
    8ft Blower Extension 9007 8ft Blower Extension
    $8.00 ea $8
    Bracket Combo - WiFi 8013 Bracket Combo - WiFi
    $20.00 ea $20
    subtotal: $356.00

Questions-
    - Do I need the high current AC power supply if I want to run two 5cfm blowers in the future? Would both blowers run off of this one power supply? Or does each 5cfm blower need its own standard power supply? Two standard power supplies are cheaper than one high current power supply.

- It looks like the blower needs to be connected to the Stoker and to its own power supply (separate from the Stoker's power supply). Or does the blower get power and data through the same cord hooked up to the Stoker?

• DMW
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As far as your power questions, power is delivered to the blower via the base unit, not a dedicated PSU. I'm not sure if standard is enough to drive 2 5cfm fans or not, probably worth a phone call to Rock's to find out.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    Options

@DMW - thanks for the clarification. The power supply must be for the Stoker unit then. I'll give Rock's a call some time for further clarification. I don't want to buy the standard power supply now just to find out that I bought the wrong one later on.

And I did start with the kit, then added on the longer probes and blower cord as upgrades. Is there another recommended way to go about this?

• DMW
    Options
    caliking said:

@DMW - thanks for the clarification. The power supply must be for the Stoker unit then. I'll give Rock's a call some time for further clarification. I don't want to buy the standard power supply now just to find out that I bought the wrong one later on.

And I did start with the kit, then added on the longer probes and blower cord as upgrades. Is there another recommended way to go about this?

No, you got it right. I wasn't reading closely enough, hence my edit. You must have read it before I edited it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    Options
    No worries. Just wanted to confirm that I wasn't ordering extra stuff.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looking at almost the same setup @caliking, and like I told @Chubbs last night you guys can hijack my threads any time. I'm going to add one more food probe in my initial order so if I'm cooking two things on the large at once. Think I will wait to see if I need another blower or not. I can't dream of a situation that I would need to monitor two cookers at once but I'm sure with two kids it will eventually happen. 
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Options
    Another possible option is some software. Stoker log is great but an app like BBQ monitor works well with your iOS devices.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bbq-monitor/id499735535?mt=8
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Hotch, that's an interesting graph, thanks for sharing it...

I am guessing that the green line is the dome probe and the red line is the grate probe.  What is interesting is at the beginning the dome is a little hotter throughout.  And then when you get things really dialed in and the cook is well stabilized and underway, the roles swap and the grate is 40 degrees HOTTER than the dome!

Am I reading that correct?  Is that something you normally see?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I'm done going without a guru on low and slows. In did a chuck yesterday tried to go original no help. It was locked in 250 for a few hours, I come back its 215. I adjust vents it goes to 300.

I'm done trying to go without it, I have it and when used its flawless.
    Seattle, WA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Serious question here: Do you guys have a hard time holding temp over night? I don't get it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do, I'd say my guru @300$ has already paid for itself. Its just to easy and convenient. I've also been able to lock 140 for salmon smoking several times.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @travisstrick I have had difficulty holding temps for a while, but my gaskets were fried. Installed rutlands with the assistance of @RRP and tonight's cook, granted a grill not a low and slow, was the most consistent temp I've had in a few years. Going to experiment with a brisket or butt tomorrow into Sunday before I order.