Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to put on the Egg....

Options
My parents are on their way to visit for the weekend to meet their new Grandson. I've been talking up the Egg and been planning on trying Pizza's and wings this weekend with the possibility of steaks as well. My dad threw a bit of a curve ball yesterday by asking if there's anything I wanted to try on the egg that has been cost prohibitive to date. He said it's not an unlimited budget but if there was something that I haven't cooked yet due to cost, he would fund the cook, even if it was a couple hundred $$. I don't want to cook something just for the sake of cooking it and haven't been able to think of anything that I haven't cooked yet just because of money. If I haven't cooked it yet, it's because I haven't gotten around to it. If you were in my position, what would you cook? Brisket? Beef Tenderloin? Prime rib? I'm good at spending my own money but not great at spending others... ha! 

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My opinion: cook something you know your good at, and don't take his money.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Go with the prime rib. Google nibblemethis for recipe. That's just one option. Or you could go srf brisket but I've never had one so I don't know. Make some abt's too. Good times. Good luck and keep us updated. If your dad wants to spend his money on you I'd say go ahead. Don't feel bad. It will make him feel good. Ceramic grill stroe.com :)
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Buckdodger
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

"Ditto"

Opelika, Alabama
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    II'm with @Jeremiah on this one. Something you're good with already. Spatch.... :D
  • zapped82
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

I can't claim to be good at much on the egg yet since I've only had it for a month, however, I'm not one to take his money. I guess I should have also mentioned that it's my birthday Saturday which I'm sure is another reason why he's offering to buy.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Compromise...split the cost on one of these

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    No judgement here. I just give opinions! How about a big ol' boston butt? And happy birthday!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    No shame. Money from friends. Whole other story. When my son gets older and moves out and starts a family I'd be happy to help him out with a hobby or whatever. It wasn't long ago that I was going dusk till dawn with absolutely zero time for myself. It would have been nice to be reminded that it's not work 100%of the time. Besides, It's incentive for him not to put me in a nursing home.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I'm In the same boat. I've been at this a month as well and talking up how great everything has tasted. I have someone coming over that I'm hoping to bring over to the Green side. I think I'll make some pizzas because that's what louered me into wanting a BGE. I want to try some bacon wrapped scallops as an app, I've never attempted them. I may try a dessert too. Any dessert recommendations?
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Consider two items instead of one ... same total cost range, but spread the pressure out.  Stretch your skills a little two times instead of stretching it big time once.  Not saying it well, but the idea is to enjoy the cooking and not have the pressure of maybe screwing up an expensive cook.

For the first month we had the egg and I was cooking, I'd tell my wife we'll eat sometime tonight ... maybe!  For me, that made the cooking fun.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• zapped82
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions... We'll talk about it once he gets here, maybe I'll let him buy the beer... ;-) You can be sure I'll post the weekend cooks here, can't wait to get it fired up!
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    Options
    Go to a specialty butcher shop and order some prime aged beef in your favorite cut...  That way you can cook something you are used to, starting with a premium product.  Just don't get hooked on it though...
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Cast iron pan seared scallops and filet mignon (reverse seared)?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    @grege345 said Don't feel bad. It will make him feel good.  Agree 100%.  I stopped arguing about picking up the check with the FIL years ago because I finally realized it makes him happy.  Let him buy!
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Congratulations to you and your wife on the new little guy! 

If your Dad has as favorite meat (my Dad loves pork chops), maybe you could knock a cook out of the park with his favorite. Otherwise a prime rib, rack of pork, or planked salmon are all easy cooks that really turn out great if you haven't tried it yet.

When my little guy was born a year ago, I went on a cooking binge as I was home a bit more and up lots more than normal. We had a lot of friends and family coming over to visit and my meat bill was through the roof! I hope you have a great time this weekend and I look forward to seeing the cooks. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    If it were me I would cook a boston butt. It is cheap but also a long cook you can enjoy with your dad. Then you can foodsaver up and send it home with him.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    If it were me, I would go with no fail cooks I'm confident in.  Everybody would be eating spare ribs and spatchcock chicken.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    This sounds like a pig pickin' to me. Congrats