Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. Will out of date sauce kill me?

Options
I have a bottle of KC Masterpiece Private Reserve BBQ sauce. Date is May 2014. Got it at Costco who know how long ago, never opened, stored in kitchen.

I just opened it  and put it on pork chop before I noticed the sell date.

Will this poison me? :-)

Are these sell dates accurate?

(I don't much like the sauce... prefer Rufus Tiegue but ran out and found this.)

Thanks.

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    You're gonna be a'ight.
  • LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Looks like you are still with us, so things are looking good!

Seriously, the amount of preservatives in that stuff would probably make it last for 10 years or more. Like the McDonald's hamburger on the shelf for 1 year with no visible change!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Options
    Also recommend a good glass of scotch neat to help knock down any bacteria that you may have ingested!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Get a grip, that would be good for 10 years as long as there is no bulging, bad smell or mold.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    Expiration dates are really gimmicks. Your your nose and taste buds. Most of those dates are recommended "best buy" not "eat this by xxx or die. "
    Dunedin, FL
  • acegg77
    acegg77 Posts: 120
    Options
    I am just about ready to cook. 

The stuff smells good so I think I'll be OK. 

Wife told me to update the will before I cook (she is not having any.)

Scotch? Sorry, I'm on my second double Beefeater Martini. Don't cook without it.

I'll report back if I'm not dead.

You guys are great.

Thanks.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    If you wake up dead, post it!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Worst case you'd have the mud butts.. Go for it.
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    It's never the sauce that kills you.
  • Legume
    Options
    ...it's the bacteria
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    acegg77 said:

I have a bottle of KC Masterpiece Private Reserve BBQ sauce. Date is May 2014. 

Will this poison me? 

No. If it would I would have passed away in the late 60's. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Dead man cookin'!

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Legume said:

...it's the bacteria

Or the wife...
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited January 2015
    Options
    LKNEgg said:

Looks like you are still with us, so things are looking good!

Seriously, the amount of preservatives in that stuff would probably make it last for 10 years or more. Like the McDonald's hamburger on the shelf for 1 year with no visible change!

The McD burger doesn't not rot because of preservatives. Make your own patty with nothing but fresh ground beef (same % meat to fat) and make it the same size and shape. Freeze it, then thaw it at room temp and let it sit unwrapped. It will dry faster than it can rot. Dry stuff doesn't rot well.

Actually now I can't remember if this is on a fully cooked burger, or raw. Either way, the McD's does what it does because of it's thinness and shape, not chemicals.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Legume said:

...it's the bacteria

Or the wife...
    Hey at least your wife doesn't remind you repeatedly that she can kill you in your sleep! :-\" @johnkitchens
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    LKNEgg said:

Also recommend a good glass of scotch neat to help knock down any bacteria that you may have ingested!

Where the **** is the "like" button when you **** need it?!?!?!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Options
    @DMW so...dry the sauce?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    You'll just **** all night. No big deal
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @caliking - the like buttons are gone - another improvement I guess. 

The dates are usually best before, not truly expiration dates. If you grab a bottle of sauce today and it has a best by date of January 2016, you can bet it is good 'till at least January 2017. It is at its peak January 2016. 

Had a bottle of ginger peanut marinade with a date of March 2011 - used it last week with some chicken Kabobs - it looked and smelled just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Legume said:

...it's the bacteria

Or the wife...
    Hey at least your wife doesn't remind you repeatedly that she can kill you in your sleep! :-\" @johnkitchens

like dammit! LIKE!!!!!!!
  • acegg77
    Options
    I did the pork chops (bone in) at 500 degrees after dousing them with sauce. Threw a handful of dry applewood chips on the fire just before throwing them on the hot grill. Then I ate them with gobs of same sauce as a dip. It was great  So far I'm still alive. My first, current, and very expensive wife (that's one wife, not three!) of 33 years can't believe it! (She does not eat pork because of religious reasons.)

No she can't kill me in my sleep because I never taught her how to light and cook on the Egg! She will keep me around for that... unless she finds this chat group... then I'm dead man walking!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Don't know if the outdated sauce will kill you ... but, if it does, can I have your egg?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    damn, i miss those buttons...
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Vaya con Dios

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • acegg77
    Options

Don't know if the outdated sauce will kill you ... but, if it does, can I have your egg?

I asked my wife. She said no. She is hoping that upon my demise from tainted sauce that one of you out there who knows how to cook on the Egg become her second husband.

"Take my wife. Please."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'd take another egg...another wife? No thanks, one is plenty...
  • acegg77
    Options

I'd take another egg...another wife? No thanks, one is plenty...

After 33 years of marriage, I'd say one is too many!
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    This was funny, most sauces especially commercial last a lifetime.  If it says refirgerate after opening it'll keep a long damn time in the frig
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    acegg77 said:

I asked my wife. She said no. She is hoping that upon my demise from tainted sauce that one of you out there who knows how to cook on the Egg become her second husband.

"Take my wife. Please."

Nope ... nope ... if the wife comes with the egg ... nope.  Much cheaper to simply buy an egg.

What's that old saying; "It's not the price of the marriage license that will kill you, it's the cost of upkeep afterwards."

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• greenenvy
    Options

Grabbed the wrong bottle of dressing out of the fridge last week and didn't notice until I went to put it away that it had expired in '08. To add insult to injury, it was some organic brand.

No ill effects, and finally remembered to toss the bottle. (shows how often I eat salad)

Likely the contents play a role as well - high vinegar/acidity/etc. probably have longer shelf lives.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX