Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

John Henry's rub samples

Options
The BGE dealer my wife bought my Egg from dropped off some samples. I'm thinking chicken, salmon, steaks and I have some beef ribs in the fridge. Super Bowl weekend just got a little better. What are your favorites for those that have tried them? image
Mckinney, TX
LBGE--AR with Rig extender 
Mini Max

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I have only tried their pecan rub, and I didn't care for it. 

Let us know how these turn out. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    The only one I have tried from your selection is the garlic pepper which is a great all around beef seasoning. I love sugar maple for all things pork. I also have a hawaiian rib rub from them that i really enjoy. I have tried their Texas Chicken Tickler but its not my family's favorite. Overall I really like JH's stuff.
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back.
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    I used the honey rib rub on some STL ribs last week and it was amazing! It's a little sweet, but it's not overpowering at all. It was right up my alley, and I will definitely use it all up!
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I really like the Mojave garlic pepper rub. Tried some kind of JH peach rub and it was awful - very sweet with a very artificial sweetener type of taste to it. Its one of the few rubs I have ever thrown away.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Paul_in_Canton
    Options
    The John Henry Pecan Rub is one of my favorites. Throw in some pecan and apple wood and you can't go wrong. I've used it on ribs and Boston butt.
    Large BGE, Cookshack Smokette, Weber Genesis Gold, and Weber Smokey Joe
    Canton, Ohio
    Home of the Pro Football Hall of Fame
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options

The John Henry Pecan Rub is one of my favorites. Throw in some pecan and apple wood and you can't go wrong. I've used it on ribs and Boston butt.

+1

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• Jonnysouth
    Options
    Paul_in_Canton, you just answered what I wanted to know. I have always used Bad Byron's with pecan wood and have really enjoyed it...I just bought my first John Henry rubs yesterday (Pecan and Honey rib rub) and getting ready to put 3 racks of ribs on with 1 of each rub but I was curious if adding pecan wood would be too much...I'll just go ahead as usual. Thanks!
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I tried the pecan rub on chicken and didn't care for it. 

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I love John Henry's. I have about 20 of them. My favorite is Hot Sugar Maple.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    Options
    I like the Jalapeno Rub...  use it on ribs or pork chops..
    Rowlett, Texas
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

I tried the pecan rub on chicken and didn't care for it. 

Its better on pork, but I mix it with plowboys yardbird. That might at least give you a way to use it up.

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    Options
    I will try that Shane. I have a huge container of it. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Sorry man. Should have warned you, but it does tend to be better mixed with other rubs and used on low and slow pork.

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    Options
    Not your fault Shane. I will mix and try it on a loin. 

• oakdaleegger
    Options
    I stick with the all purpose rub. Always great. Figured I couldn't go wrong with all purpose. My ACE sells for $9.99 so I haven't ventured out to try anything new. I'll keep watching this thread for suggestions. Thanks!!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The ones I tried were salty.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options

I have only tried their pecan rub, and I didn't care for it. 

Let us know how these turn out. 

Pecan is great on veggies. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    I used the maple bacon rub on one rack and the honey rib rub on the other for last night's cook.. Overall they were pretty good. Would use them both again. image
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Years back I got a sampler pack of big bottles from them, 5 I do believe. Texas Chicken Tickler was the only one that got used up, the rest got thrown away. 1 out of 5? Not such a great ration.  I do like the Mojave garlic pepper rub sprinkled on veggies (I got that at an Eggfest). With how bad that sampler pack was, I've never been tempted to buy any others.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Black_Badger
    Options
    Wow, I know I shouldn't be, but I'm genuinely surprised at the range of opinions on these guys. For me the JH rubs have all been quite good, and they're a staple of my collection. The Mojave Garlic Pepper is outstanding on veggies, potatoes, steaks, chicken, and I think the Chicken Tickler is my favorite poultry rub. I also think the Maple Bacon is great for ribs and butts, although it can burn a bit of you go above true low and slow temps. I've also got a little sampler pack like you have of their Blackening Spice and it was fantastic on a tri-tip. I've certainly used a fair bit of the Pecan rub, and while it's not my favorite I certainly wouldn't say it's bad.

No hate from to to anyone for having their own opinions, but like I said, I'm just surprised.

Cheers all -
    B_B

Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Eggingaround
    Options
    Put some Lil Shag's on my burgers last night. Tasty stuff.
    Mckinney, TX
    Mini Max
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    For some reason I typically can't stand the taste of "smoke flavor" in a rub.  I haven't tried JH specifically but I wonder if that is why some people don't like the rubs such as Pecan.  I love smoke flavor I get from actually burning chunks/chips, but for some reason I have never cared for a rub that has smoke flavor added.   

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I agree with @SmokeyPitt No smoke flavored rubs for me. They don't taste right and I can get the smoke flavor from...wait for it...actual smoke!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings