Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezing or leaving Brisket in cryo?

Options
Hi fellow eggers -

I am looking at purchasing a few briskets for a cook in a 3 weeks   With work travel limiting me to be able to make a purchase closer to the cook, I have a question on how long briskets could be left in the cryo?  Should I move forward with freezing and thawing or would keeping the brisket in the cryo be ok for 3 weeks?  

Appreciate in advance!
LBGE - Nov/'14
A Texan residing in Denver, CO.

Comments

• Eggerty
    Eggerty Posts: 220
    Options
    No rec's? Should I just cook now and FTC for 3 weeks.......?
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think you could go either way, three weeks isn't that long.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Cook at 140 for three weeks. Or maybe two weeks and FTC for last week. I've seen some people wet age them for three weeks but I have no experience with that. Give a shout out to @cazzy or cen tex. I always buy then cook within a few days so I'm no help. Sorry
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Eggerty
    Options
    @grege345 I would probably have to do some injections along the way. ;)

and I would agree a late purchase to cook date would be best and what I have experience with. Thx.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • grege345
    Options
    Just keep spritzin every other day or so ;)

• Eggerty
    Options
    Thanks @Legume.
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I don't quite understand "wet aging," don't know enough about it to recommend, I would probably freeze it, then thaw before cooking. But that's me. To each his own, or hopefully one of the pros will chime in and clear this up, good luck regardless.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • grege345
    Options
    Well @anton I just googled egghead forum wet aging. I read a lot of posts and learned a lot. Still it's not for me but maybe someday. Interesting reads tho. This night work is for the birds.

• anton
    Options
    @grege345, the few things I read have kinda swayed me away also. I feel your pain, just got back on days a month ago, now they're talking about another night project. Just kill me now.
  • grege345
    Options
    @anton I hear ya. I bounce back and forth watching over projects. Some 200 mil some 20 mil. Either way it's cold and stressful with the weather lately. I have a wegmans (kick ass grocer) about 50 yards away from me and I just wanna raid the meat counter and bring a mini to work

• anton
    Options
    @grege345, hell, I'm lucky if I'm running a 20 K project! hahaha, typically we do small stuff, we don't build from the ground up at this co, we are a repair& maintenance, and re-model contractor. Try to stay warm out there,make sure to pick up some meat to cook at 3-4 in the morning like I do.
      :-bd
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    I would store in cryo in a fridge for 21 days.  I like beef with 40-45 days of wet aging.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    I had one in cryo for 3 weeks and it came out very good. Light rinse and rub.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm with smitty. I've gone way longer with brisket in cryo. It holds for a long time in the fridge. Most of the good ones have at least 21 days on them before you get them. 3 weeks is nothing. 3 months?...might think about freezing.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggerty
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @smittythesmoker @bettysnephew @anton
    Really appreciate the thoughts and guidance.  

I'm with smitty. I've gone way longer with brisket in cryo. It holds for a long time in the fridge. Most of the good ones have at least 21 days on them before you get them. 3 weeks is nothing. 3 months?...might think about freezing.

3 weeks cryo - 3 months Freeze! Gotcha!
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • MelSharples
    MelSharples Posts: 260
    edited January 2015
    Options

We regularly (my company ships US beef overseas) give a 90 day shelf life on all primal cuts of chilled beef (in cryo), especially boneless cuts like brisket.  Peak flavor is normally achieved at 30-45 days on a wet age. Steak cuts should be frozen within 4-5 days of cutting. Your problem will be knowing when the product was packaged. 

LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Hey Eggerty, I am in Denver too (centennial) but cant find a good full packer brisket to save my life.  Where do you buy yours?  My local king supers used to have them but no more.  Walmart has them but they tend to just be average.  If I am going to pay $10/pound (Tonys meats...overrated), I might as well just buy a waygu.
  • MelSharples
    Options
    busmania said:

Hey Eggerty, I am in Denver too (centennial) but cant find a good full packer brisket to save my life.  Where do you buy yours?  My local king supers used to have them but no more.  Walmart has them but they tend to just be average.  If I am going to pay $10/pound (Tonys meats...overrated), I might as well just buy a waygu.

Do either of you have a business license or know someone who has one?  You have a Restaurant Depot in Denver: 1740 W 13th Ave DenverCO  80204. You haven't lived until you've been to one...
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • busmania
    Options
    Interesting.  There is one by my house as well in centennial.  I have an LLC but no business license.  I "work" for a company as an independent contractor, thus no license but needing an llc.  could that work?  I have a credit card in the name of my llc.  Do they do a one day trial membership or anything like that?
  • MelSharples
    Options
    I believe you can get a one day pass, but not sure. Their website indicates you have to have a business license or tax exempt cert (non-profit) to get a membership. I think I have seen some posts about a club (KCBS?) you can join that has access, others may know more about this.
    LBGE 2015 - Atlanta
  • busmania
    Options
    I called, they want a sales tax  license.  dang!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    KCBS membership gets you a day pass everyday. I haven't done it because its over an hour drive to the nearest store, but I'm subject to change my mind...
  • Eggerty
    Options
    @busmania - Great to hear you are in Centennial.  I am in NW Denver.  I buy my full packers at Restaurant Depot like @melsharples said.  Have a KCBS membership and get a one day pass.  RD has full choice packers, I have not seen Prime though.  I continually look for packers at Costco but have not had luck.  

Butchers shop are another place to find just about everything.  Prime packers etc.  
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • Eggerty
    Options
    @busmania - here is the link if interested...

LBGE - Nov/'14
  • busmania
    Options
    Thanks Eggerty.  I actually own a rental in NW Denver in Berkely.  My favorite part of the city.  Thanks for the tip on the one day pass!
  • Eggerty
    Options
    @busmania - to clarify, with the KCBS membership you can go as many times as you want throughout the year, but only a single time each day...
    LBGE - Nov/'14
  • anton
    Options
    Go to KCBS.com, fill out the online form to become a member, membership costs $35.00 a yr. A few days later you get a certificate, and a card. Take that card to RD, go to front desk,show card, get day pass, buy meat, jump for joy at the prices and selection, then gloat post your purchases for all to drool over. It's Home Depot for food, without the annoying solar salesman.
    :)>- :-bd
  • busmania
    Options
    @busmania - to clarify, with the KCBS membership you can go as many times as you want throughout the year, but only a single time each day...
    Well then!  Thanks!  I guess ill be a KCBS member, proudly!  Thanks for the tip!
  • anton
    Options
    The meat dept, and a view walking the aisles at Restaurant Depot, Oakland Ca.
    imageimage
  • Eggerty
    Options
    ^^^^^ what @anton said...
    LBGE - Nov/'14