Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chewier jerky needed

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love the taste of the jerkys I've been making on the egg. No matter what the meat or the marinade, it's good. But it still comes out...meaty. Like thin slices of london broil almost. I can get it meaty or burnt. How do they get those dry chewy strips you get in a commercial package that you really have to tear off with your teeth and REALLY chew? Is it the type of meat? The thickness? The temp? I've been doing sirloin tip roast sliced about 1/8-1/4" (there's so little fat that the butcher can slice it in a jiffy and very little trim). Been doing about 2-3 hrs at right under 200 degrees (may I add my egg is sitting around 110 most of the time without turning it ON these days...sigh). I'm afraid when I still have that meat texture that it really isn't safe to leave at room temperature for any period of time. Besides, I'd like to take out my aggressions on a piece of jerky.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Maybe you need to let it go longer. I've been doing jerky at 180 for 8 to 9 hours; when done the pieces have almost a lacquered look. The texture is very chewy - great aggression outlet, for anyone with a full set of teeth.[p]Cathy[p]
  • Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Nature Boy gave me some he did from brisket - it was right jerky. Maybe a different cut of meat would help.[p]Tim

• Stuart
    Stuart Posts: 110
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I made my first batch last Saturday night with brisket. I froze it some and sliced it 1/8" with the grain and marinated 24 hours under vacume. The meat cooked low and slow at 200 for 10-14 hours, (some of the smaller peices were done sooner). The texture is about right although 14 hours might have been a little long... I over slept.[p]I know what you mean about the heat, Sunday saw 111 in Dallas. Much hotter and I wont need lump in the egg. ugh!...cooler today though and only 97 tomorrow!
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Stuart,
    You're in Grapevine? I'm in FW. I want to grab some of your jerky to see if it's what I'm looking for. Maybe I need a lower and slower...but jeez, it is almost impossible to keep the temp down right now![p]Send me an e!

• DS
    DS Posts: 15
    Options
    Stuart,
    was a 107º here on monday and a 109º here today in south Texas.....Man this is getting old quick. Thermometer in the kamado shows 140...hahah

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    08_06_0015_22_02.jpg
    <p />MollyShark, the jerky in the picture was from a brisket cut with the grain - marinated for about 18 hours and cooked for about 11 hours - done it many times and it always turns out good.[p]
    [ul][li]Gfw's Beef Jerky[/ul]
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I agree that I think your problem may be the time that you are cooking it. I generally use about an eighth inch cut of brisket and cook it for about 8 hours or so depending on how much is in the egg. Shorter cooking times will give you that "meaty" texture no matter what cut of meat you're using. Try cooking it a bit longer and I think you'll be very happy.[p]Troy
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I was using sirloin tip in the past, and found it meaty and unchewy like you describe. That was cooked about 8 hours over a drip pan at 200. [p]The jerky I did for my camping trip was much more like jerky. Like Gfw brought to light, brisket works VERY well. I sliced a bit less than 1/4 inch slices, and cooked about 10 hours at 200. The coarse grain of the brisket is perfect...it soaks up the flavors nicely, and ends up more like jerky. [p]Like the others have said, go for a minimum of 8 hours, and you will be able to see it transform into jerky. The smaller pieces, and pieces toward the outside will finish earlier.[p]Using a bit of Tender-Quick definitely will give you longer shelf life....I used some in the backpacking batch I did. I also considered finishing it up in the dehydrator....but didn't want to experiment on my camping food![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ