Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just noticed my firebox is cracked in three spots almost in perfect alignment in third's of the box?

Options
Large BGE five years old, doesn't have the pre cut section in the firebox to help prevent cracking while cooking. I moved six months ago, but just noticed yesterday. The cracks don't go all the way to the bottom of the firebox. Does anyone think I have a warranty claim or do you think I broke it during the move and didn't notice.... Just asking, my dealer and I are mutual customers of each other and I don't want him to have to foot the bill if it doesn't qualify for warranty replacement. 
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Did you drop it? Did you buy it used? If the answer is NO to both questions, then it's a warranty claim. All you should have to do is take a picture of cracks and show receipt. New firebox.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • VANcouverEGG
    Options
    Personaly, Seeing cracks in ceramic shouldn't surprise us much. The fact we get it un-cracked is surprising to me. From posts on this forum it seems like there is a larger problem on hand. The larger eggs are cracking. How carefull do we need to be? Thank goodness for warranty.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Definitely warranty if you bought it new.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree- definitely get a warranty claim.  It sounds like you are in no hurry and you can continue cooking on it.  Your dealer shouldn't be on the hook for anything- as I understand it he just send some pics in to BGE and they will send him a replacement.  It sounds like you are in no hurry and you can cook on the cracked one- so they could just include it with the next shipment and there should not be any freight cost.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That's what I was thinking, thanks for the in put gentleman, I'm assuming I probably need actual pictures for my dealer to send to BGE as opposed to just showing him on my cell phone.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Scott you should be able to send the pics to your dealer via email. From there they should be able to process the claim. With any luck they'll have the replacement part on hand. If not you should be okay to egg until it arrives on their next incoming shipment.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    my egg cracked on the lower end. Called BGE and they sent me a replacement to ACE hardware. All I had to do was send BGE a pic of the crack via email. Great customer service 
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    I had the same issue last summer with my LBGE in Maryland.  Took photos, went to my local dealer (Clement's Hardware in Severna Park), texted the photos to him while in the store and then left with a boxed replacement.  Couldn't have been a better experience!

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Think these are good enough quality without having to attempt to get the firebox out?
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Yup, those should work.
  • MediumRarely
    Options
    Call your dealer.  Send photos.  Call them again.  Probably will not need to do anything else except pick up the new one then go home and change it out.

If for some reason he wants the old one first, I would sing a song of "egg"diction and babying the cracked one along until the replacement is in hand.

Note: You will likely damage the firebox more during removal.  Mine only came out in pieces.

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks @BYS1981 , and @MediumRarely I'm really hoping to keep the old one in tact for a few more cooks anyway. I doubt it'll be a problem haven't had one yet.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    My mini box has cracks similar but they don't go all the way through. I can still lift as a piece. I decided against the hassle of a replacement until its truly broken and affecting the overall cooking.
    Seattle, WA
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah, I'm more just setting the wheels in motion so hopefully I can still cook on this while having the replacement ready to go.  With the larger space we moved into I don't want to be getting ready to throw a big cook on and have the thing completely fail and have to improvise in the oven...
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Not to pee on anyone's parade but it's my understanding is the warranty is only good if the firebox or firering become unusable.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Steven, I picked up my egg from the mothership. While there there was a guy with optics of a cracked firebox. They replaced on the spot. Dude was like, I just want to know why they crack. BGE guy was like they just do, that's why we have the warranty.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Steven, I picked up my egg from the mothership. While there there was a guy with optics of a cracked firebox. They replaced on the spot. Dude was like, I just want to know why enthey crack. BGE guy was like they just do, that's why we have the warranty.

TYOY,

I have no doubt that they do that at the mothership. That is just the line I have gotten from my dealer and the distributor. I am pretty sure the warranty states it that way.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options

Not to pee on anyone's parade but it's my understanding is the warranty is only good if the firebox or firering become unusable.

Mine was replaced with emailed pics. The new ones still in the box in the garage waiting for the cracked one to fall apart.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

My mini box has cracks similar but they don't go all the way through. I can still lift as a piece. I decided against the hassle of a replacement until its truly broken and affecting the overall cooking.

My mini fire box and fire ring have a few cracks as well.
    imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @sgh my fire ring is your fire ring's big brother. Almost identical.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Steven, apparently, I'm drunker than I thought, because auto correct mangled my post. Kudos to you for your drunk redneck to Canadian translation. Also, took me a minute to get the acronym. I like it!
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Maybe it's just the Canadian distributor but it has been discussed on these forums before. I was wrong once before.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm not saying you're wrong, just what i saw
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Maybe it's just the Canadian distributor but it has been discussed on these forums before. I was wrong once before.
    I've been accused of being wrong, but it hasn't been confirmed...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Mine is split through in a few places in my large. The dealer I bought it from went out of business years ago. What to do here? @Scottborasjr‌ sorry to hijack. You should be good on your claim
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    If they won't replace it, I guess I will wait til it completely fails and not throw any big money cooks on it.... Lots of 4 dollar pizza dough going to on that egg for the next little bit.... >:)
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    @Chubbs you are always welcome old friend, nice to see you! I'd be curious for that answer as well. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Chubbs‌ I'd take my receipt to another dealer and if that didn't work, contact the mothership.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    @chubbs  Do the warranty process through the dealer nearest you.   They will be able to help you out and will do so willingly if they want your future business.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

@Chubbs‌ I'd take my receipt to another dealer and if that didn't work, contact the mothership.

Ha. I can't keep a receipt 5 hours. Much less 5 years....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013