Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dinner and a Movie

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Man...your dad dropped some coin on them speakers. Drool!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Yea, the speakers are the selling point of his system.  They are beautiful aesthetically and the sound they create.  Nothing like the B&Ws you can buy at Best Buy or the Apple store.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @UncleFred - I think @Solson005 did something like that last summer. If he is around, he can tell you first-hand how his setup worked.

@cazzy - please tell me all that is in your new crib. I'm seeing brisket and movies in my future...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    Uh oh....

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Uh oh.... image
    Happy Birthday to you.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    @caliking‌ is right I've got a fairly simple setup. I'll chime in more after work.image
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

@UncleFred - I think @Solson005 did something like that last summer. If he is around, he can tell you first-hand how his setup worked.

@cazzy - please tell me all that is in your new crib. I'm seeing brisket and movies in my future...
    Yes sir...just ordered my projector and screen! I'll be up and running in about 3 weeks.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

cazzy said:
    Uh oh.... image
    Don't forget to put it in the trunk before you drive off.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Solson005‌ That simple set up is in a rockin back yard. Way jelly yo
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If you don't want 3D, I highly recommend this projector. $799 shipped no tax http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981958-REG/epson_v11h416120_powerlite_home_cinema_8345.html If you need 3D, or if you don't, you can't go wrong with this BenQ. $689 shipped no tax http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=913362&Q=&is=REG&A=details I'm currently in the process of building my home theater room, so I have actually been researching a lot. Both of these projectors are what I'm lesning towards to hold me over until my 4K projector comes out in america. Here is where I'm at so far: imageimage

@cazzy‌, I have been looking at the BenQ W1070 as well and the Epson's 2030, 3020 and 5030. I would love the 5030, but that is out of my price range. Everything I have read and seen on reviews on YouTube, it looks like the BenQ W1070 is the way to go. I also want to be able to use it for gaming. I have an area in basement where I want to build my Home Theater, I just now am able to move around and do things again. I like your set up. I hope to start building walls soon. Amazon sells both of those at the same price and I think you will go with them to save on shipping. Did you put in Soundproofing? That's a must at my house, by what the boss says. Are you doing 5.1, 7.1, 7.2 or 9.2 surround?
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If you don't want 3D, I highly recommend this projector. $799 shipped no tax http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/981958-REG/epson_v11h416120_powerlite_home_cinema_8345.html If you need 3D, or if you don't, you can't go wrong with this BenQ. $689 shipped no tax http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=913362&Q=&is=REG&A=details I'm currently in the process of building my home theater room, so I have actually been researching a lot. Both of these projectors are what I'm lesning towards to hold me over until my 4K projector comes out in america. Here is where I'm at so far: imageimage

@cazzy‌, I have been looking at the BenQ W1070 as well and the Epson's 2030, 3020 and 5030. I would love the 5030, but that is out of my price range. Everything I have read and seen on reviews on YouTube, it looks like the BenQ W1070 is the way to go. I also want to be able to use it for gaming. I have an area in basement where I want to build my Home Theater, I just now am able to move around and do things again. I like your set up. I hope to start building walls soon. Amazon sells both of those at the same price and I think you will go with them to save on shipping. Did you put in Soundproofing? That's a must at my house, by what the boss says. Are you doing 5.1, 7.1, 7.2 or 9.2 surround?

No...buy from BH...no tax and free expedited shipping. No brainer IMO. If I didn't want 3S....I'd be all over the Epson. My projector dropped, so I just bought this today. :smiley: www.sony.co.uk/pro/product/projectors-homecinema/vpl-vw300es/overview I will be running 7.1.2. FR,C FL, SR, SL, SBR, SLR, SW and two speakers above the seating area. It's a Dolby Atmos configuration.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Y'all are depressing me with these toys. I have a toy called a green egg and that's about it. Hell I got crazy one time and bought a second egg too. Sheesh.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    UncleFred said:
    Been kicking around the idea of "Dinner & a Movie" nights this year to give the kids a sense of what it was like to go to a drive-in.

...Fire up the egg, cook something awesome., have an ice chest or two of sodas and adult beverages and show a classic movie on a screen (or bed sheet) in the yard (or the cul-de-sac for the neighbors).

I need some experienced recommendations for a portable DVD/Blue Ray projector that's bright enough to use outside, easy to set up quickly with good sound output capabilities.  I don't need 4K or ultra Hi-Def (come on, think bed sheet), and although price isn't necessarily a deal breaker, I'd like to stay under $1,000.

Are any of you doing anything like this?

You want a projector with a lot of Lumens say at least 1800 and a good contrast ratio at least 10,000:1. The BenQ W1070 fits this as does the Epson 2030 and both are $700 or less in price. Here is cool Screen for around $200 that can be used inside or out. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009H07X0Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3LH1RPMASBL6X&coliid=I3DUXTZ03LX980

Kansas City, Mo.
  • saluki2007
    Options
    You are going to love the Oppo.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Ladeback69
    Options
    You are going to love the Oppo.

So it is basically computerized high end Blue Ray player for around $500? My wife would not understand that. Man I am a little out of touch on the higher end DVD player. I am just trying to get her to let have a 1080p projector. Then I will need a new HD Preamp and then this. Guess the second egg will have to wait maybe. I will just be using my PS3 to watch Blue Ray's for now.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    cazzy said:
     I'm using great equipment, so it will be nice but it lacks the foundation that he has. I just got the approval for my projector and screen from my wife. I'm shitting myself and am going to buy it tonight.
    That's awesome.  Denon makes some great equipment, and I have heard a lot of great things about that new receiver.  I have never actually listened to Kilpsh's higher end stuff, but my brother has one of their sounds bars and it sounds good.  I know they bought a company while back called Jamo, which makes great speakers.  I used to sell those along with B&W's.  
    Oh, on the fence about an Oppo. I wish I could rent one, instead of buying since 4k Blu-Ray Players should hit the market at the end of this year. B&W's are nice....but I love my horns. This will be what I use for my next theater room: http://www.klipsch.com/thx-ultra2-home-theater-system

I have a pair of Kilpsch KPS-400 and matching center channel in my living room that bought about 12 to 15 years ago. I have matching surround speakers to go with them. They will be going into my basement home theater when its built. The have built in 12" 300 watt subs in each tower. THey weigh about 100 pounds each. I will upload a photo of them when I get home, but here is what I am talking about. They can shake the house. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http://audioscape.ca/pre-owned-specials/&ei=rgbIVOOsIcmxggSZ44CACA&bvm=bv.84349003,d.cWc&psig=AFQjCNEPOkbAHZlaZYVPXPmyIoJFeYcIjw&ust=1422481497217338

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    My home theater 7.2 with everything ressesed

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I love the weekends. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• cazzy
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Love love love your space.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    caliking said:

Thanks.  I'll look him up when I get back into town.
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • UncleFred
    UncleFred Posts: 458
    Options
    Solson005 said:
    @caliking‌ is right I've got a fairly simple setup. I'll chime in more after work.image
    Ya, THAT'S kinda what I had in mind as a set up!
    San Diego, CA - Where I've mastered Curmudgeon..working on Recluse.
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    bucky925 said:

Nice setup, but what is the height of the ceiling. It looks a little low. Here is what I have in my living room.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    We used a sheet and borrowed a projector for a couple movies over the summer for years. Then we saw the inflatable screen as the weekend special at home depot and picked one up. 

As @Ladeback69 said lumens are what you need to be focused on if your going to watch outside. I would  recommend nothing less than 2500. Mine is 3000 and if I had to buy one again I would go higher. Our backyard is pretty shady, but you have to wait until it is almost dark to see the screen well enough to enjoy the movie. I use my ps3 or apple tv using hdmi for video and paired with a sound bar using a fiber optic cable for sound. The wii is also really fun to play on the 12' screen. 

If you're trying to watch during the day or dusk you need to look at a rear projection screen and have at least 5000 lumens and there your going over $1000 easy. 

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • saluki2007
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Moved to different thread.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options

For 10-12 years I project football games onto my house using a projector from a neighbors window about 20-30' away onto my house. When dark enough I find I do not need anything to act as a screen. Have gotten 16 x 9 ratio covering about 12' H x 18' W. Call it the Game on The House Party. Have had up to 100 people partying between to two houses. Every year the neighborhood kids start asking when the "Party" will be.