Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Insulate Gloves for Removing and Cutting Hot Meat. Any other Techniques?

Options
I am sure this is nothing new for most of you that have been doing this along time, but thought I would share for those who may not have seen this.

I bought a six pack of cotton "String Knit Gloves" at Harbor freight for $3.99 and simply put my vinyl gloves over them. This is great for removing hot items from the grill or holding hot food while slicing.

At the Athens and Austin Texas Eggfests last year, we served smoked then pan seared duck breast. I sliced these at the table before serving. Holding the breasts with a fork or tongs was slow and cumbersome and the meat was a little too hot to handle with my vinyl gloved hand, but I did it any way... :(

At the Texas Eggfest during a demonstration, MeatChurch showed this little trick with the cotton glove under the vinyl. What a life changer! Now I don't even use tongs when removing most things from the grill.

Comments

• CurtisMaximus
    Options
    Very cool, thanks for the lead
    L BGE
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    One of my reps came to me last week and tossed me a package and said " don't say I don't do anything for you". "What is this" I asked. He says "fryer gloves" I looked at the name on them and googled it. They were food safe gloves that are heat resistant to 500F. Perfect for handling a plate setter or grates and especially for pulling pork.
  • mitch2264
    Options
    I bought a pair of the "Gator Gloves" off Amazon before the holidays and really like them.  I actually bought the other grillers in the family a pair as a Christmas present.  Where they shined was when I was pulling a fried turkey out of the fryer!  I like your idea with the cotton and latex--cheaper and maybe more dexterity.

Thanks for posting!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cool trick!  My buddy went to the Myron Mixon bbq school and they did something similar.  I really like using gloves like this. 

I have had a couple of pairs of insulated food gloves like these.  These are great for pulling pork or removing hot food items from the egg.  They are bit hard to clean- if you accidentally get water on the inside they never seem to dry.  Also I accidentally grabbed a hot pan and they melted.  I would still recommend- but they don't last forever.  FWIW I found some at home depot that were only like $5, but I don't know for sure if they were technically food safe. 

I recently got some like these.  These are not at pliable so I don't like them as much for pulling pork or things that require finer motor skills :).  However it is really nice that you can handle hot pans and food, and they are easy to clean.  You can put them in the dishwasher.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I use a pair of thick gardening gloves and I just gold em over. Cost $2 or so.
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great idea. Never thought about using a double glove to handle the heat. I often do the same thing with nitrile gloves to clean the gutters, damp, cold and wet. 

Couldn't see the forest for the trees - thanks again!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NoJokeSmoke
    Options
    My outer glove is actually Kirkland (Costco) brand Nitrile Exam Gloves.

Different types of glove materials have different melting points. So beware.

I just did a Google search on vinyl gloves and some showed a melting point as low as 176º F. However, Nitrile gloves have a melting point of 283.4ºC = 542.12ºF. 

I wouldn't attempt to pick up a plate setter or anything as the cotton isn't that insulating.  However, this method works well with the gloves that I was already using and does provide for good dexterity.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hard to beat these for $5.99.  Heat resistant enough to handle food off the grill and flexible enough to separate the fat from the meat when pulling pork.  I use them for all hot meat handling.
    Easy cleanup too, while wearing, put a little dish soap on them and rub together like you're washing your hands.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    You can get a box of nitrile gloves for a couple of bucks.... I've used this for a while now with similar cotton gloves underneath. I get XL gloves to fit over the others. Cheap and easy; just how I like it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I have several pair with different roles for each.
    The blackened leather ones are for cleaning egg, and loading lump, removing, replacing cold egg innards.
    Heavy blue welding gloves for, removing hot rig and removing or placing indirect stone while cooking, (I use a woo). Also for opening egg when cooking in excess of 400F.Somtimes a burp does not help burning arm.
    Nitrile for meat and chicken prep, avoid cross contamination.
    Neox meat gloves, for holding, and slicing hot meats, handling hot meats after cooking.

Not shown, my pink rubbermaid gloves for dishwashing, so I don't get pesky dishpan hands.
    imageimage
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited January 2015
    Options
    The black rubber gloves I have get stiff with exposure to high heat. They totally suck.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @anton‌ ...I see what you did there.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good idea @NoJokeSmoke‌. Definitely useful for some tasks.

I'm like @anton‌ in that I believe several different pairs of gloves for different tasks are best. In my opinion, leather welding gloves would be my last option to remove a plate setter(no I'm not picking nitrile over leather) but cheapo cotton potholders work great. The bad thing about leather is that once you feel the heat your burnt if you can't get the glove off. Cotton dissipates the heat as soon as you let go. Leather gloves were a big no no when I worked in a blacksmith shop pulling steel from a blazing hot furnace. We used cotton mixed with some kind of synthetic. Welding gloves are great, when your welding.

As far as pulling pork and removing larger meats such as butts, chickens and roasts, nothing beats wolf claws or something similar. No gloves needed. Almost use them as much as my ThermoPop.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    henapple said:
    @henapple ... you saw it too ... great!  I thought it was a subliminal message that only I could see.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    henapple said:
    @henapple ... you saw it too ... great!  I thought it was a subliminal message that only I could see.
    I saw it too...   I was like   "Hey...!!! " Sneaky Ba$tard....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @stemc33, thanks for the heads up, I was given the blue pair by my son who knows all welding processes. He said they are for stick, and plasma cutting. They are super thick, with some kind of insulative matl. I have taken my woo out and handled indirect stone without incident yet, I will be careful from now on, thanks again.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "