Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tilapia: worse than eating bacon.

Options
2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    sgh
    if i cant catch it i dont much want it. heres a sebago salmon cooked with a pound of butter, eat the cheek scollops and the rest went in the deep fryer, atleast i knew where the fish was swimming in

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I would eat that salmon too^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Brother fishless
    I grew up pretty poor, had to eat what we had. That said, I learned to like certain things that others did not. Just kind of accuquired a taste for them after having to eat them for years. When I was much younger, gar and grinnel was served quite often. While I no longer eat it like I once did, I will still throw down on some gar or grinnel balls from time to time. Tilapia is actually pretty good if you will give it a overnight soak in milk before deep frying. I'm certainly not saying that Tilalia is the best fish out there as there are many that are better, but I do like it. But again there isn't much that I don't like short of healthy food.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Scottie, it seems like everything out there is "one or two of your very favorites".

Well, unless the "H" standes for hyperbole...
  • SGH
    Options
    Scottie, it seems like everything out there is "one or two of your very favorites".

I very fond of most meats and seafoods. It would be hard for me to pick a clear favorite.  Thus, most fall into the category of one of my favorites as I really do like most all of them about equal.  If I were forced to name only one as my absolute favorite, it would be a toss up between ribeye, oysters, shrimp, crab, lobster, or pork shoulder. Oh, and fish. I'm real fond of most fish as well. 

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SGH said:

I very fond of most meats and seafoods. It would be hard for me to pick a clear favorite.  Thus, most fall into the category of one of my favorites as I really do like most all of them about equal.  If I were forced to name only one as my absolute favorite, it would be a toss up between ribeye, oysters, shrimp, crab, lobster, or pork shoulder. Oh, and fish. I'm real fond of most fish as well. 

@SGH‌ I think you've got a solid list nailed down there. Those are some of my very favorites too! Of course, when I'm hungry and eating something cooked well, that might be my very favorite at the time. Food is good.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:

You forgot the ice cream.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I hear ya @SGH, I eat what I like to eat.  My only saving grace is my bride, I do 99% of the cooking inside and out, so I can't get away with it all the time otherwise I'd be cooking two different meals.

Every time you turn around somebody's got another F$%^ing study out, I get so tired of the media. 
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited January 2015
    Options
    When it comes to fish, farm raised is bad stuff. I will never willingly eat farm raised fish.

Here's an article that talks about salmon crap in farm raised salmon.

http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-truth-behind-farmed-salmon
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    logchief said:

I hear ya @SGH, I eat what I like to eat.  My only saving grace is my bride, I do 99% of the cooking inside and out, so I can't get away with it all the time otherwise I'd be cooking two different meals.

Every time you turn around somebody's got another F$%^ing study out, I get so tired of the media. 
    No joke! With all the studies out on good this bad that, I've decided to just start deep frying cigarettes.

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Glad I gave up tilapia, I now wrap my basa filets in bacon - I do use a low sodium bacon, so that makes it good, right? 

Thanks Travis, had not seen this one. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SGH
    Options
    Reading this post has really made me crave fish. The first day I have off, I'm going to whip up some tilapia wrapped in bacon and deep fried in good old fashion lard. May even chase it down with 5 or 6 dozen raw oysters just for good measure.

Status- Standing by.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    SGH said:

Reading this post has really made me crave fish. The first day I have off, I'm going to whip up some tilapia wrapped in bacon and deep fried in good old fashion lard. May even chase it down with 5 or 6 dozen raw oysters just for good measure.

Now you are talking! I'll take two servings.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Man you aren't serious are you? Basa is catfish!

Basa isn't catfish (can't be called catfish) when sold in the USA by law from FDA (result of the "catfish wars". 

However, it tastes better than commercial catfish.  3:1 ratio on blind taste tests.  (see THIS)

My buddy had been using it at their school Friday (lent) catfish cook for years.  One year they couldn't get a hold of basa, so they had to substitute catfish - farmed from MS.  Everyone bitched that it wasn't as good as last year.
    Options
  • SGH
    Options
    Now you are talking! I'll take two servings.
    Brother Strick, I may serve bacon wrapped tilapia at Salado along with the oysters and hog head. You will be more than welcome to all that you want my friend. We will have to keep a eye on Nola though, he is notorious for scarfing up the grub!!

Status- Standing by.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man you aren't serious are you? Basa is catfish!

Basa isn't catfish (can't be called catfish) when sold in the USA by law from FDA (result of the "catfish wars". 

However, it tastes better than commercial catfish.  3:1 ratio on blind taste tests.  (see THIS)

My buddy had been using it at their school Friday (lent) catfish cook for years.  One year they couldn't get a hold of basa, so they had to substitute catfish - farmed from MS.  Everyone bitched that it wasn't as good as last year.
    Dude, my little Indian buddy used basa for his fish curry. Tasted awesome but look at where they raise it. It is catfish but they call it pagasis or something.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    They should pull a "Chilean sea bass" rebranding effort. Pegasus fish would sell well, Steve.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Tilapia aka Nile perch.

It already has another brand name.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tilapia are interesting fish - they can live in fresh or salt water.  They can eat poop and poop food.
    Options
    Does this count?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    henapple said:
    Does this count?

Depends what end you eat.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I like lots of fish.  I grew up on crappie, bluegills, perch, catfish, rockfish, etc. in Nebraska.  Those were our summer meals, although we ice-fished on Lake Alkali for perch in the winter.  Moved to NC after graduating from high school and encountered the wide variety of ocean fish.  However,  I have never developed a taste for tilapia.  I  cook a wide variety of fish on the BGE (e.g., salmon smoked with alder tonight in the snow), but pass on tilapia.  To me, it's tasteless.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Little_Steven - I avoid all tilapia, basa and shrimp from Asia. The only fish shrimp or prawns we use comes from locals. Have seen the video on the Mekong, there is another I can't seem to find on Thai shrimp farming - makes you want to eat nothing but good old USDA and CFIA beef, pork and poultry!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    And I was going to have Tilapia Tacos tonight for dinner.  Checking the label to see where it comes from. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    Ever since I heard Tilapia referred to as "Toilet Trout" and found out why, I avoid it when possible. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    When it comes to fish, farm raised is bad stuff. I will never willingly eat farm raised fish.
    Here's an article that talks about salmon crap in farm raised salmon.
    http://www.foodmatters.tv/articles-1/the-truth-behind-farmed-salmon
    That's pretty funny. Have a  close look at the fish being harvested.

Steve 

Caledon, ON