Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Some more Georgia Red Wings

Options
13»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Thank you RRP.
    I'm gathering ingredients tomorrow. Will plan these for Super Bowl Sunday.
    :)
    Peoria, AZ huh? My wife and I both worked in Peoria, IL our whole career though we have lived in the adjoining city of Dunlap for 35 years now.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DoofusOfTheDay
    Options
    RRP said:
    Oh yeah trying these for sure.  I will probably half the amount of Pete's since my wife's taste in wings runs mild. 
    Well you have to do what you have to, but honestly these are tasty wings - NOT hot wings. After I have mixed the marinade and stirred it well I sip a teaspoon of it straight since I know what it is supposed to taste like and even straight like that the marinade is not hot. OTOH that raw taste is not what your finished wings will taste like either. Thing is with such a long soak the marinade really does get clear through to the bone and is not a superficial exterior rub or sauce taste.
    Okay since I know SWMBO doesn't follow this forum, I am going full recipe.  It doesn't sound all that hot to me on second look at ingredients.  
    Gregg
    Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
    Marietta, GA
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Check, Peoria is a 'burb of Phoenix. 
    72.5 degrees here now!!
    Soup weather! 
    =))
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    these wings are amazing, this was the first recipe of Ron's I saw and have been following his advice ever since!  every time we need to bring an appetizer somewhere my wife volunteers me to make Georgia Red Wings!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Ended up going to my sister's place for dinner tonight. I brought the wings along and we did them in the oven. I left off the Swamp Venom as the kids would be eating them. Not too hot at all like Ron mentioned. I really look forward to doing this on the egg and adding the Swamp Venom. Really interesting flavor, will definitely make these again.

Before oven, after marinade:

After 375* convection over followed by the broiler for a couple minutes when almost ready.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options

I made these a week ago but had problems downloading my pics to my computer.  Problem solved.  I followed the posted recipe -- they turned out excellent!  Here are my pics:

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

• Durangler
    Options
    Awesome.   =D>
    Just starting my first batch today. Don't have Dizzy Pig though. I'll have to concoct a substitute.

• mitch2264
    Options
    I bookmarked this one!  Thank you for posting!!
  • RRP
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Awesome.   =D>
    Just starting my first batch today. Don't have Dizzy Pig though. I'll have to concoct a substitute.

suit yourself for a subtitute, but the amount of DP Swamp Vemon is so little that personally I would just forget about it rather than dusting with some surface concoction. These marinated wings can stand on their own!
  • mgillia
    mgillia Posts: 89
    Options

RRP is correct.  If you follow his recipe they will turn out amazing!!  No substitutes.  I'm ready to do another batch!

Yum! 

Shiny side up, rubber side down!  PCB, FL

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    In a pinch, if you're out of Zing-Zang, you could use this marinate (before soaking the wings in it), as a Bloody Mary mix.  Just add Tito's.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    Options
    Anybody else find them waaaaay too salty? I don't know if one can reduce the soy or what. They were okay for me, but my wife found the inedible...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • RRP
    Options
    Chelnerul said:
    Anybody else find them waaaaay too salty? I don't know if one can reduce the soy or what. They were okay for me, but my wife found the inedible...

sorry, but this is the first complaint I have ever heard - seriously! Oh well, can't please everybody.
  • Durangler
    Options
    I did a batch this last long weekend.
    I thought they were really good & will do them again next weekend.
    I do have a question. What happens if you cut the marinate time in half??
    Half the flavor? 
  • RRP
    Options
    Durangler said:
    I did a batch this last long weekend.
    I thought they were really good & will do them again next weekend.
    I do have a question. What happens if you cut the marinate time in half??
    Half the flavor? 
    Suit yourself! That's the way I ended up batch after batch after batch arriving at 54. Personally I found anything under 36 hours wasn't worth the effort and much beyond 54 IN TOTAL was too much as the lemon juice started to ruin the chicken. My suggestion is try what YOU like - not what I like, but I still think the 54 hours I suggest nails it. OTOH I didn't pay for your wings nor material so it's YOUR cost - not mine. Just trying to be friendly and helpful here- OK? Peace brother!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @RRP. Thank you. Haven't seen either dizzy swamp or texas pete, up here in the GWN. Have you ever heard anyone using franks hot sauce? Or any other sauce? Our selection up here isn't quite as vast.
    TIA
    Large, small, and a mini
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @RRP have you ever tried Franks hot sauce instead of Texas Pete in this recipe? 

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Chelnerul
    Chelnerul Posts: 153
    Options
    RRP said:
    Chelnerul said:

sorry, but this is the first complaint I have ever heard - seriously! Oh well, can't please everybody.
    You're the man, @RRP, and I appreciate everything you post. It was most likely my fault. I had to improvise the day we did it because I didn't have any V8. Perhaps that helps to cut the saltiness int he soy?

I will try it again. Secretly. I just won't tell my wife. I positively love anything with DP Swamp Venom...
    Manning our FOB in occupied Northern Virginia...
  • RRP
    Options
    I have used Texas Pete and Frank's and both seem fine! Just don't subsitute either of them by using Tobasco!!!
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    RRP said:
    I have used Texas Pete and Frank's and both seem fine! Just don't subsitute either of them by using Tobasco!!!
    Ok Thanks Ron

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• Dave in Florida
    Options
    I did a batch of these wings and they were awesome.  I will be making these wings again.  I also did it using skinless chicken breast very much enjoyed them also.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Durangler
    Options
    No worries RRP. I've got no problems going 50 hours. I've just gotta remember to work the 4 hour brine time in there with my calculated marinade time.  :-B
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    RRP - I have my wings marinating right now!  Question though - My wife like the skin crispy.  Whats the correct way of doing your wings with making them crispy?
  • RRP
    Options
    blakeas said:
    RRP - I have my wings marinating right now!  Question though - My wife like the skin crispy.  Whats the correct way of doing your wings with making them crispy?
    I've never tried to make these GRW crispy, and I kinda doubt there is any way due the conditioning of the skin. I suppose you could try dusting them with corn starch, but even then I have my doubts. I believe the reason the corn starch trick works is the reaction to the chicken fat which in this case has already been diluted. Sorry, but I hope SWMBO will at least try these GRW!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    I smoke, then fry my wings. Never tried that woth these ones though.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
     They marinated for 56 hours which means the meat is tasty clear to the bone and then a light dusting of DP Swamp Venom gives a topical kicker at first bite!

RRP....are you a Bleu Cheese dressing kind of dipper or do you just go head on wig-a-ding?

Oh those look outstanding.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
     They marinated for 56 hours which means the meat is tasty clear to the bone and then a light dusting of DP Swamp Venom gives a topical kicker at first bite!

RRP....are you a Bleu Cheese dressing kind of dipper or do you just go head on wig-a-ding?

I've never tried dipping these nor seen the need to do so - these wings can stand alone!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,038
    Options
    RRP said:

Dang man.  Your like the guy who shows up and adds salt to a chefs pasta dinner.

That ish will get you kicked out.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited August 2015
    Options
    RRP said:

Dang man.  Your like the guy who shows up and adds salt to a chefs pasta dinner.

That ish will get you kicked out.
    A weak moment..... Guess I get that from my Buffalo brethren. Love some Bleu Cheese on my wings....but recognize it is not intended for all wings. 

I'll try and do better.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • RRP
    Options
    @northGAcock - LOL - no problem! I am a bleu cheese dressing fan so I'll keep that in mind some time! Maybe the added kicker will knock my socks off! =)