Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time egging

Options
Hello eggheads!
Long time eater first time poster!
I was lucky enough this last year for my fiancée to buy me an LBGE for Xmas! She got the rock of I got the egg fair trade right??? Anyway I built a table with my dad between Xmas and New Years and have been addicted ever since! I have only had a couple cooks so far but addicted non the less.
My first cook was wings and which I did indirect then finished over direct for a char, then a reverse sear to mid rare on a NY strip. Both cooks turned out great, now I'm hoping to find the time for a low and slow in the near future.
Green Abe & Ham

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Congrats!

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options

Looks like your on the right track....nice table not to mention the fun of building it with your dad....

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    i like the rustic table design, you dont see a ton of those. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Welcome to the forum.
  • yellowdogbbq
    Options
    Nice table and congrats on the new egg!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options

Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Great gift for sure. 

An observation regarding the BGE and table.  You may want to consider an air gap below the BGE in addition to the paver.  Over time table owners have reported scorching of the wood below the paver.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    lousubcap said:

An observation regarding the BGE and table.  You may want to consider an air gap below the BGE in addition to the paver.  Over time table owners have reported scorching of the wood below the paver.   

Agree. I cook a lot this weekend for the first time since I installed my table nest. Even at nuclear temps I can comfortably stick my hands under the egg. After 4 months on the paver alone, my table was turning dark.
  • Ewelch04
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Let the good times roll!
    Bluffton, SC LBGE, SBGE, Thermapen
  • AbraHammer
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Thank you for the info I'll def keep an eye on it!

Green Abe & Ham
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction!
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Welcome. great looking table, and very nice work with the  joints at the legs and rails. Egg on brother!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    Welcome aboard..Sounds like she is a keeper
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Welcome ... looks like you're hooked.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Welcome. Nice job an cooks and table
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Welcome. ..everything looks great
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Welcome! Sure wish my dad was still around to egg with. Enjoy those times!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Welcome nice table and cook
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Welcome, I like the table. Have fun.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Welcome and Nice table. Enjoy the ride.
    Seattle, WA
  • SloppyJoe
    SloppyJoe Posts: 406
    Options
    Consider a bigger paver also. A spark out out of your bottom vent could catch your table on fire.
  • noregard
    noregard Posts: 306
    Options
    Nice looking table, and even better that you got to make it with your Dad.  Not to be a nag, but the advice about an air gap should be taken very seriously.  There are too many threads about tables catching fire.  Looks like you have a nice big gap around the edges, so that's a great start!
    Jeremiah said:
    @Jeremiah, I couldn't agree more.  I've recently started talking to my Dad after 5 years apart, and it's been good.  The first time he came to my house I cooked him ABT's, venison steaks and potatoes.  He went home and bought an XL with all the trimmings, and it's been something we can easily talk about - bridging the gap one cook at a time. :)  And I have the upper hand on the knowledge scale for once, that's fun too!

Anyways, back to the OP, great looking table, enjoy your egg!  

Is that all the lump you use for a cook??
    Lethbridge, Alberta         LBGE & MM
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Sounds like good times and food looks great. Don't be afraid to fill the firebox up with lump.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    Options
    Welcome and have fun.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • AbraHammer
    Options
    noregard said:
    Nice looking table, and even better that you got to make it with your Dad.  Not to be a nag, but the advice about an air gap should be taken very seriously.  There are too many threads about tables catching fire.  Looks like you have a nice big gap around the edges, so that's a great start!
    Jeremiah said:
    @Jeremiah, I couldn't agree more.  I've recently started talking to my Dad after 5 years apart, and it's been good.  The first time he came to my house I cooked him ABT's, venison steaks and potatoes.  He went home and bought an XL with all the trimmings, and it's been something we can easily talk about - bridging the gap one cook at a time. :)  And I have the upper hand on the knowledge scale for once, that's fun too!

Anyways, back to the OP, great looking table, enjoy your egg!  

Is that all the lump you use for a cook??

That was definitely a cool experience to build this with my father he just recently returned from Afghanistan from a four year contract so I am trying to spend as much time with him to make up for lost time together! @noregard‌ -yes at first I was not using enough lump but I learned that lesson pretty quickly and now I am not afraid to fill it up. Thanks for advice!
    Green Abe & Ham
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    welcome! the egg is amazing and versatile. I just got into woking 
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Welcome, now it's time for a low and slow maybe with a pork butt for some pulled pork to share with Dad
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA