Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri tip steak vs tri tip roast??

Options
I've been wanting to try I tri tip steak for a while now and have never been able to find one. Today at my local Wal-Mart they have a tri tip roast? Are they the same or different??

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• CowtownEgger
    Options
    Same
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Not the same. Could still be yummy, but a roast and a steak are definitely different. Same cut, different techniques.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    The roast is what you see everyone talking about here - Santa Maria bbq. Better than the steatk IMO.
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Options
    So now, I'm Confused.  This is what I bought and cooked and it was labeled Tri Tip Roast? Is the steak just cut from this piece of meat?  I seasoned this and did a reverse sear.  Cooked it great in my opinion.  May be good with a sauce once cut in the future.  Maybe a marinade.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It looks great.  Yes the tri tip steaks are I have seen are typically just sliced up tri-tip roast.  Same meat...just sliced into steaks and typically smaller portions.  I prefer to cook the whole roast as you did because you get more of the rare meat. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• corey24
    Options
    So is this what most people on this site are getting and cooking?  I have been looking for a tri tip for a long time but always heard it called 'tri-tip steak' and this confused me. 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Same piece of meat, just take a whole tri tip and slice across the grain to the desired thickness and cook like any other steak.  Most stores here in CA sell it both ways, but cooking whole is the most popular as @SmokeyPittt said.  I prefer getting the untrimmed (cheapest by the cryo bag) and let folks trim off their own on the plate

Also nice looking job on that tri tip above
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • corey24
    Options

any ideas of what to do with the leftover cooked tri tip? Will it get tough reheated?

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I always do tacos or fajitas with leftover tri tips. I cook the veggies first and add meat last so it does not overcook, I just want it warmed (cut into small pieces before adding, with more seasoning).
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    corey24 said:

any ideas of what to do with the leftover cooked tri tip? Will it get tough reheated?

This question came up not too long ago:

Lots of good suggestions there.  It will get a bit tough if you reheat it too much- so the trick is to just warm it or eat it cold. It is great with steak and eggs.  I just add it toward the end and only heat quickly so there is a little pink left.  

Like @GATraveller suggested- Chimichurri is awesome with tri-tip.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    corey24 said:

@corey24 I made a killer sandwich with leftover tritip yesterday.  sliced a few nice thin pieces.  Heated up the cast iron pan, buttered and toasted a roll, then threw in the slices of tri tip, chimchurri sauce, and some cheese.  I sauteed it just long enough to heat it through and melt the cheese, maybe 90 seconds tops.  I love leftovers!

Going to have the rest tonight, sliced on a fresh salad.  I'll eat that at room temp.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • corey24
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas guys.  Sounds good!