Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My favorite meal of all

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
***WARNING***
If rare meat turns you off then there's no need to read on!

My favorite meal uses a flank steak and I have fixed it for my birthday meal for years! Yesterday was not my birthday, but to keep the meal "special" I typically only fix it a couple other times a year.

Here's the background - over 30 years ago someone gave my wife this recipe and she used to fix it in our oven in the broiler mode. The high temperature always scared her. Then when I got my first egg in 2000 it was a natural that I take over this cook.

I start with a nice 2# flank steak and then JACCARD it well to assure tenderness. Then I spread on a concoction of garlic, EVOO, salt, lemon juice, parsley flakes etc on both sides. Then I tightly wrap it in Saran Wrap for 30 hours or so. Unwrapped the next day it looks like this:

Some time during the day I saute' 1/2# of sliced white button mushrooms in 1/3 stick of butter. Meanwhile in a separate pot I mix a sauce consisting of chili sauce, burgundy, Worcestershire, water, bullion, pinches of marjoram and thyme etc and long pieces of sliced onion. Once mixed and heated I dump in the saute'd mushrooms. I set this aside to be warmed later as a garnish for the meat and mashed potatoes.

Then I get my egg to a steady 700 dome and do a quick 4 minute sear, That's 1 minute, turn 90 degrees for another minute, flip and same process of 1 and 1. Yes as you will see that mean rare! LOL

Now on to the carving board!

And now sliced and ready for serving! I LOVE THIS MEAL!!!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments