Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What hot sauces yall using??

Options

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    I've been eating Pickapeppa for 50+ yrs.  My Dad brought it home to Atlanta from a trip to the Caribbean back in the late 50s and it's been in our family's houses ever since.

My other favorite is from Heart Breaking Dawns 1498 Trinidad Scorpion.  The apricot/blueberry base really adds good flavor to other BBQ sauces and the Scorpion peppers definitely add the heat
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Melinda's Garlic Habenero and Gator Hammock Swamp Gator Sauce.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Love to have that job or a job at the one of the great brew houses here
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    But no. I pick up road kill for a living. Do get some great eats that way
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Forgot about this little gem. Very tasty for tacos.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options

Tabasco or Franks......

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I have several but there are always two in the rotation more than others.  For the past month it has been these two, both EXCELLENT!

Adobe Milling is a spicy red Jalapeño hot sauce.  I could drink this stuff the flavor is so good.  It is from Durango, CO.  You can get it here if you're curious.

Susie's Hot Sauce is a much hotter Habeñero based sauce that has a full bright Caribbean flavor.  It is from Antigua/Barbuda.  You can buy it here, but only in cases.  Get the "original".  Or get it by boat which is what I did.  :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    edited January 2015
    Options
    "Don't be a chicken ****" and siracha
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Options
    ***Loophole alert*** the forum apparently stars out adult words, but editing your posts seems to bypass that function. I have a feeling this threads about to light up with some vulgarity.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Tabasco is my go to when I want to add a little heat to something that isn't normally spicy.
    Like my minestrone soup, or when making tunafish for sandwiches, or devilled eggs, etc.

When cooking, I'm more prone to use my home grown and home ground cayenne pepper powder.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    The only one I will not use is Tabasco. I believe it to be the worst hot sauce ever made. I have never understood what all the fuss is about.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I mean Tabasco original. some of the variations are very good.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    The only one I will not use is Tabasco. I believe it to be the worst hot sauce ever made. I have never understood what all the fuss is about.
    I agree with you.   I mean, if it is the only one offered in a restaurant, fine, I'll take it.  But I usually say, "Do you have ANYTHING else?" if they bring it to me.  Cholula is a pretty popular one in restaurants these days, thankfully.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options
    I used to use Crystal, but have now switched to Sriracha.  Lie the flavor.    I have some piripiri sauce made by my son when he was in Mozambique, but it is way too hot for most uses.
    Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
  • yzzi
    Options
    Cholula is pretty decent. I like dipping my chips in that.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Let's get back to @Little Steven‌ and his 1200 bottles. I want pictures!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Let's get back to @Little Steven‌ and his 1200 bottles. I want pictures!
    +1
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

They have all been packed away since we had our fire. I did unload the cupboards a few years back for a comment on the forum. Best I can do right now.

( DSC_0053.jpg)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bearsgonefishin
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Melinda's Garlic Habenero and Gator Hammock Swamp Gator Sauce

Swamp Gator is my go to

LBGE

North East Florida

Go Jags

What I would like for every football team to do that we play is to sit there and say, ‘I hate playing against these guys' -Nick Saban

• Jeremiah
    Options
    Little Steven, your house caught fire and now flooded? I think Gods trying to tell you something.
  • Little Steven
    Options

@Jeremiah we had a bbq related fire in '07. Not the best of luck in this place for sure.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Jeremiah
    Options
    In rereading my comment, it sounds kinda douchey. Sorry, meant it to be lighthearted.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    No worries. The flood is kinda minor compared to the fire.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

My go to is Franks; for me its hot enough. It brings on a little heat but certainly not like a habenaro based hot sauce.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Living in New Orleans where Tabasco is pretty much the de facto choice, I pretty much agree with you.  The flavor overpowers, rather than complements. 
    NOLA
  • cottonseed
    Options
    Best they make.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    I probably have about 20 bottles, but Aardvark's gets the most use.

Really nice combo of heat and flavor..

I also use the Tabasco Habanero in some dishes too. I love it
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I was the same way until I went to Avery Island and toured the factory. The whole island smells like the sauce and it tastes good after that. Still a long ways from my favorite but I'll use it in a restaurant if it's all they have.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Trust me on these first two. It is so damn good you won't be able to use green cap sriracha anymore. They have a 1 month aged and 3 month aged, I have only used the 3 month aged. 

The rub is ok but the sambal oelek is crazy good. Like, amazingly good. 

The next few are form a place here in SC that I love. The green is my go-to and I use the hell out of it. By far my favorite every day use hot sauce. 

This one is very good too and I have gone through couple bottles of it.

I also use this to add to other sauces I make. And I actually love to lightly coat a steak or pork butt in this before adding a rub to it. It is Carolina Reaper Puree, which is currently the hottest pepper in the world. 

Boom