Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Two Ways

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
I haven't done chicken for awhile and we decided wanted tandoori style. Also decided to do some BBQ for the kids that are boring.

Got two similar size ceramic grills going at dissimilar temperatures and setups.

Some drummies with Meadow Creek BBQ rub, 275* indirect on the Jr.

And now who says the small can't get hot. And this was with natural aspiration, no shop vac involved.

I flipped the woo upside down so the crossbars would assist with holding the skewers.

Flipped every 5 minutes until it was around 180*-ish +/-.

I managed to end up finishing both at around the same time.

Plated with basmati rice, homemade naan my neighbor made on cast iron on the stove, and a cucumber yogurt side my wife made that was really good.

Happy Saturday night everyone.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• GreenWave36
    Options
    that tandoori looks AWESOME
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I can dig it man :-bd Meal looks awesome!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,055
    Options
    Sweet!! That looks awesome.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The food looks excellent brother D. Couldn't help but to notice that one egg looks a little strange. Hmmmmm. Can't quite put my finger on the anomaly :-?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Gutty up. Pretty awesome work there. Looks delicious, both.
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think next time I'm going to add red food coloring just because I want tandoori chicken to be red.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    that looks great! those swords look cool
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Very nice cook indeed

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Bravo!! Both types of chicken look great. I'm always looking for a good naan recipe - think you can weasel it out of your neighbor? :)

And if I may make a humble request...mediocre Indian restos everywhere have practically made bright red tandoori chicken the standard. That's not what it's supposed to look like . Yours looks far better. So please don't add the red food color  [-O<

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Really looks good..Love the plated pic. Great combo of tasty looking food. 8->
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Now come on. I think I saw them pics some place else :-? Nice job again
  • DMW
    Options
    @caliking - I'm sure I can get his recipe, I think he found it online somewhere.

And I know the red is completely artificial and I need to just let it go. I really expected more colour to come through, given the colour of the marinade:

We used this as the marinade base, following the recipe on the bottle.

However after mixing the marinade my wife tasted it and said, "No, it's missing something" and added garlic, ginger, and more plain yogurt until it was "right". And she nailed it. The flavor was excellent.

And I think it was you last time that told me not to add the food coloring. I guess I'll just accept that real tandoori chicken should not be bright red. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Wish my wife could handle some spice.
  • DMW
    Options
    @UrbanForestTurnings - This is not spicy at all, just very flavorful. I'm not sure where my wife found the seasoning, but here is a link:

It would be an easy way to see if she would like it. Just make a small batch of marinade and only do a couple chicken thighs. Be sure to slash the chicken deep to the bone before marinating. I thought you needed to go at least overnight for the marinade, but found this over at Seriouseats.

So I gave 5 hours a try this time, and it worked great. He used whole cornish hens, I prefer thighs only. IMHO the dark meat can take the super high heat better than white meat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Thanks. Doing wings today. She likes them dry with no spice. It just kills me at times
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Have not seen that rub before, but the marinade looks good. I stopped marinating overnight a while ago because the texture of the meat turns to mush, and your wife was right on the money - mo' garlic!

If you really want the red color, I believe in India they add Kashmiri mirch, which is not very hot, and similar to paprika.

Interesting seriouseats article. I didn't know that Gujral "discovered" tandoori chicken. He did open Moti Mahal in Delhi way back when, which is practically a national treasure!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.