Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All this talk of Tilapia.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Brother Strick recently posted a thread about one of my very favorites. Yes tilapia. Been craving it since reading his post. I was able to slip off from work a little early today and I thought, why not whip up some deep fried bacon wrapped tilapia. Fried in lard no less. Guess it wasn't in the stars as they were sold out of tilapia. All was not lost however as they had a few small flounder. Almost as good as tilapia so here goes. Scored and coated with olive oil and melted butter just for good measure. Just a dab of salt, pepper and a whisker of cayenne.
Going to cook these bad boys at 550 degrees indirect over white oak wood with a few sliced lemons and limes only until they flake. Hope this turns out almost as good as tilapia. Four flounder happens to be one of my favorites as well!!

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Waiting for the finish... They look amazing
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Heck ya! These should rock Scotty!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Flounder sounds good, but I think I see a pot of crab legs there you didn't mention.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Flounder is 100 times better than tilapia. Well, everything is better than tilapia because it has zero flavor. Do you just like it because it only tastes like what you season it with?
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    your killing me with the flounder and the crab legs. Those happen to be two of MY very favorites...
  • SGH
    Options
    your killing me with the flounder and the crab legs. Those happen to be two of MY very favorites...
    Two of my personal favorites as well. I'm a pretty picky eater but flounder and crab legs is a wining combination for sure in my book. Just wish I wasn't so picky ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Here it is. I even threw in a little cheese stuffed with bacon just to get the blood moving. Turned out pretty good. Hope that yall enjoy. For the record, the bacon wrapped tilapia fried in lard is happening as soon as they have some tilapia in stock.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Do you just like it because it only tastes like what you season it with?
    I actually do like deep fried tilapia or pan cooked in pure butter and lard. Tilapia is not a great fish on its own, but because it is bland, it can be doctored up and made to be pretty dog gone good. I marinade it in whole milk over night, then season it up heavily and coat with 50/50 flour and cornmeal. Wrap in good greasy raw bacon and deep fry in lard. I give you my word, it is excellent this way. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Flounder sounds good, but I think I see a pot of crab legs there you didn't mention.
    Yes sir. I snuck them in last minute along with the cheese stuffed with bacon. Crab legs are very hard for me to pass by. Kind of like oysters, they are one of my very favorites. 

Status- Standing by.

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Can't stand with you brother, as I am wild only up here in the Pac NW. But I can applaud and appreciate a solid cooker. =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • mitch2264
    Options
    Man, that looks eggcelent!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Looks great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Never cooked fish that way but I see it served often.  Thanks for the tips!

And I'm so glad it wasn't Tilapia, I mean....Tilapia?  You might as well be eating packing foam or tofu. 
    =))

;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • SGH
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    And I'm so glad it wasn't Tilapia, 

The tilapia is coming brother. Im about to starve to death just thinking about it.

Status- Standing by.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great cook as always SGH
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SGH
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    You might as well be eating packing foam 
    With the proper use of bacon and oak smoke, packing foam can be pretty good. Most folks tend to over cook it ;)

Status- Standing by.