Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to put under egg?

Options
edbro
edbro Posts: 300
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having a BBQ island built that will have a special section to hold the egg. The base will be tiled just like the countertop. Can I put the egg directly on the tile? Use the ceramic feet? BBQ mat? Round paving stone?[p]For aesthetic reasons I'd like to just sit it on the tile but I don't want to crack the tile due to weight or heat.

Comments

• Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    edbro,
    With the little feet and a tile substrate you should be golden. Ask your contractor to use wonderboard (concrete sheet goods) underneath the tile if he is not already planning to do so to make double certain you will never have a problem.

• edbro
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    What does the wonderboard ensure against? I have already told him that it needs to support the weight. My only concerns were heat and/or grease.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    edbro,
    I think the wonderboard is to protect you from problems with heat. It makes more sense to put the egg on tile that is glued to a sheet of concrete than to use plywood, for example, if you are worried about heat.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    The Naked Whiz,
    That and the fact that wonderboard will last forever under tile, plywood will rot eventually.

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    edbro,
    You will be okay by just setting the Egg on the little ceramic feet. Air is the best insulator and that's the reason BGE makes 'em.[p]I made a transporter/cooking table for Baby Huey, my new small Egg, and painted the plywood surface where he would set while cooking. Even after six + hours of cooking various temperature meats in Fredericksburg, about all it did was get slightly warm.[p]If you use ceramic tile on a backer-board as mentioned earlier, you will be fine.[p]Be sure to post some completed photos.[p]Spring "Full Of Ideas and Other Stuff" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• edbro
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    Thanks guys, Wonderboard it will be! They are laying the concrete next week and it should all be done in 2 weeks, wx permitting.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    i won't get on my soapbox about chef's giving architectural advice.[p]hahahaha ...couldn't resist, man. sorry.[p]call it even

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    stike,
    Agreed...lmao...well i would be if I didn't have 2 teeth pulled this morning.[p]But seriously though wouldn't you agree about wonderboard outlasting plywood? Or am I dead wrong?

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    Now I don't know anything about Wonderboard, but I do know taht Wonder Bread under an egg will not work. It would take an awful lot of loaves of it to even have any type of insulation then you may risk toast from the heat. Hey, the Egg as a toaster.....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    you could detail it right so as not to worry about the plywood, but it would be easier to just use the wonderboard, you are correct.[p]tile is bound to leak (the joints, anyway).[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Bobby-Q
    Options
    Squeeze,
    Shouldn't you be practicing for your competition season or something?[p]lol

• Squeeze
    Squeeze Posts: 717
    Options
    Bobby-Q,
    The Wonder Bread Toast is our practice for the Anything But category in Mobile....picture the turn in box now....

Kevin Jacques
    The University of Que L.L.C. ®
    Killen, AL
    www.uofque.com

Take Your Taste Buds to School!
  • Paterfamilias
    Options
    I use a granite stepping stone about 18" square. Home Depot sells for about $14. Look for it with the cheaper concrete variety. I still use the 3 Egg feet to raise it a little and give some air flow below the Egg. I have the tempas wood BGE table. Works great.