Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

baba ganoosh...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
No, I didn't sneeze...
I had the best baba ganoosh (baba ganuj) this weekend at a mediterrean resaurant. It's an appetizer made of mashed char-grilled eggplant (peeled after grilling, before chopping), tahini (crushed sesame seed paste), lemon juice, garlic, and cumin (that's the lower fat version - usually olive oil is added, too). Can anyone suggest what temp/time to cook my eggplants to get the skin charred and inside cooked for this purpose? The eggplants I bought are each about the size of a softball and baseball combined. This dish had a wonderful, complex, woodsy charcoal flavor that I'd like to recreate.

Comments

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    jerry,[p]Try 400-425. Stick each eggplant with a knife in a few spots so they don't explode. Roast until they completely collapse - 40 minutes to an hour, typically. You'll want to turn them every 15 minutes or so to let them pick up a little char on all sides. You don't need any wood chips; the lump adds just enough smoky flavor.[p]I make a Turkish version of the above - thick Greek-style yogurt instead of the tahini, a little olive oil, lemon, garlic, and cumin, with some chopped toasted walnuts folded in at the end. Addictive![p]Cathy
  • Jerry,
    Hi Jerry, Just to add to what Cat said, I just saw this done on one of the cook shows. She took a knife and slit maybe twenty slices in the eggplant and in each one she shoved a half garlic clove. Then she cooked it on the grill till it collapsed on itself like Cat said.I think she cooked hers at a lower temp but that doesnt matter.
    Anyway she had the extra bonus of roastd garlic to go into the baba ganoosh that way.[p]Dylan

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    jerry,[p]I've never had it, but if it tastes as good as it sounds funny, I'll have 2 helpings, please.[p]Cornfed
  • Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Q.N.E. tyme,[p]I saw that too...thanks for the reminder, Dylan, it sounds like a great addition.[p]Cathy
  • Wow - what a GREAT idea, Q.N.E. tyme! I'm definitely going to give it a try. Cat's Turkish version sounds YUMMY too. Is there a limit to the exotic foods one can make with an egg?
  • Cornfed,
    Give it a try - you might be surprised! The hard part is stopping yourself from overindulging. Try it on Pita bread. Great stuff!

• jerry,[p]Try it on the egg. You will love it. Don't forget, you may need to "salt" the eggplant because the large ones can be a bit bitter. I slice mine into one or one and a half inch thick slices, salt them for a while, wash off the salt and brush with olive oil and what ever spices you want. Grill till soft, and then serve it with your meal. I then use the left overs for the egg plant dip.

• Thanks for the tip, Teslamania
  • Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    jerry,[p]I will give it a try. Those flavors sound right up my alley.[p]And the addition of roasted garlic, suggested below, can never be a bad thing.[p]Cornfed