Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First overnight low & slow...need reassurance

Options

I am a fan of the turbo method for pork butts, however this time I'm going to try my first overnight low and slow.  Unfortunately, my timeline won't allow a turbo.  I am hoping that some experts will see this and set me straight if I'm off.

I have a 8.5# pork butt. I need it to be ready to serve by 11:00 a.m. when guests will be arriving.  We actually won't eat quite that early, but I want to be available for chatting, not cooking/pulling when the doorbell rings.

I've searched and read many low and slow posts for butt.  Some say 2 hours/pound, some say 1.5. I think I'll be shooting for 250-275 dome temp.  I do have a Maverick and can monitor grid temperature too, although I won't be up in the night to babysit the thing.  At 2 hours a pound it looks like I need to start cooking at about 6:00 p.m. tonight.  Does that sound about right? 

Indirect, elevated drip pan to catch the crud, homemade rub on top of a mustard slathering, Ozark Oak lump, hickory for smoke. Good plan, right?

Follow-up question: If I pull it at 10:00 or 10:30, what's the best way to keep it warm until noon or later ...or am I asking for trouble?

Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    It's always better to finish early. If you don't have a pit controller I'd run closer to the 275 mark as that seems to hold better for me.

when it probes like buttah, wrap tightly in foil double or triple, wrap in prewarmed towels old one if you got em, and put in a prewarmed cooler ( fill with hot water for a while). That's FTC and it will stay too hot to touch for hours. Just don't keep opening to check as you will lose heat. Doesn't have to be a yeti, I use a cheap Walmart roll around cooler.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    IMHO, at 250 to 275 I would say more like 1.5 hours per pound. Now that's 12.75 hours and if you start at 6 you should be done around 7. I always go with putting it on early if you can. If it's done early you can FTC tell a hour our half hour tell your guest arrive. If you pull it early I would cover it and put it in the oven around 200 to keep it warm and save some juice to help it stay moist. That's just my 2 cents.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    The one thing I've found in my limited experience (4 butts) is splitting them in half.  Cooks much faster at L&S and you get extra bark which I love.  You can get it done in 6-7 hours.  Put it on late in the evening and then FTC like @theyolksonyou says.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    logchief said:

The one thing I've found in my limited experience (4 butts) is splitting them in half.  Cooks much faster at L&S and you get extra bark which I love.  You can get it done in 6-7 hours.  Put it on late in the evening and then FTC like @theyolksonyou says.

You could turbo it tonight and do the same thing. When I cook 9 pounders at 300 to 350 they will be done in 6 hours.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    Another vote for around 275*F on the calibrated dome thermo.  Should yield at around 1.25-1.5 hrs/lb. If not finished in the mid-AM, then dial it up (300-350*F) to punch it home.  And as mentioned above, you can easily hold it in a prepped el cheapo cooler for 4-6 hours before pulling.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Two hours is the outside for 250. I suspect you will be done way early. Put it on a little later and if it isn't ready when you get up just open up the vents and let it power through. Once it's  smoked overnight it doesn't affect the taste.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Ask and you will receive. Lots of good advice.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I am loving all the advice. Thanks.
    Next dilemma: how long does it typically take for the dome temp and grid temp to equalize? Dome says 300, grid says 230. Should I be nervous? @sgh ... Care to chime in?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I ain't Scottie, but pick one and ignore the other. You're suffering from paralysis by analysis.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Great info all bases covered. Start early. And don't worry. Be the egg
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    $300 digi q...sleep like a baby.
    Did a few prior its possible but man you have to make sure your temp is Locked and dialed in....i suggest 1hr at least burn time before you place your meat on and go to sleep to make sure it stays there.
    Seattle, WA
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Agree with @SkinnyV‌ on the time to lock in before bed, but if you let it rock around 275 and you loaded it to the gills with lump, you can sleep well. The maverick will let you know, but if it's locked in as stated, you'll sleep all night.

I mean this as nice as possible. RELAX the maverick will tell you when it's ready to check or if something unforeseen happens.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    itsmce said:
    I am loving all the advice. Thanks. Next dilemma: how long does it typically take for the dome temp and grid temp to equalize? Dome says 300, grid says 230. Should I be nervous? @sgh ... Care to chime in?

And I'm just a box of rocks. Don't over think it. Just do it . Hell that sounds like that would be a great catchphrase. $-)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    For noon cooks I prep the smoker the night before then get up around 330. Smoker is usually to temp by 4 and meat on. Then I can pull by 11 (I do shoulders 325-350 if in a hurry). FTC till eating time.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    From my limited experience with my Maverick dome temp is always going to be higher than grid when going indirect just cause heat rises.  If you're at 230 grid and 300 you should be fine, butts are very forgiving and your goal is final internal temp around 190-203
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Throw that thing on with the bottom vent open the width of 2 quarters. Daisy wheel, petals only open. Should sit around 250-275. Now lets get cooking. Better to be done early than answering the door with bear claws
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• itsmce
    Options
    It's been on for almost 2 hours. Was getting nervous at the 300 dome temp so I closed the daisy a bit. Just checked and the dome is down to 275 and the grid reads 217.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    itsmce said:
    It's been on for almost 2 hours. Was getting nervous at the 300 dome temp so I closed the daisy a bit. Just checked and the dome is down to 275 and the grid reads 217.

Just chill. You know what your doing. Get a drink and relax
  • itsmce
    Options
    @UrbanForestTurnings‌ - done and I'm trying .
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    How many speedometers do you have in your car??  If you have a known calibrated temperature reference (most use the dome thermo as all BGEs have one) then run with it.  BTW-there are thermal gradients in your BGE and your "clock box" as well.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    How many speedometers do you have in your car??  If you have a known calibrated temperature reference (most use the dome thermo as all BGEs have one) then run with it.  BTW-there are thermal gradients in your BGE and your "clock box" as well.  FWIW-

Man stop making me use my gray matter. It huts like hell %-(
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    itsmce said:
    @UrbanForestTurnings‌ - done and I'm trying .

When you wake up in the morning. If you go to sleep. Lol. And you serve that butt to your guest and they just rant how you just served them the sweetest butt they ever had. You are going to puff out your chest like a Tom Strutting after his birds. And you will tell them "hell that ain't poop. What till my next cook.. You got it man. Have a drink on me
  • itsmce
    Options
    Morning update: dome temp: 220; grid temp: 188; internal temp: 156. I opened the vents a bit and my baby is responding, so I know there's plenty of fuel left. I think there may still be hope.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    At IT temp of 156, you may want to consider wrapping in foil to get through the stall if you want to serve at 11 AM. 
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Crank it up!!! A 275-325 dome isn't going to hurt a thing. You want it to rest so lets get going
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos