Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks

Options

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Matt - the date of that banquet is our anniversary (April 14), many many years after that banquet though :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Update.

My Mom is still in the hospital. She'll be here still for a while. I am ready for this journey to cease some. It's likely she'll be here still for a while to get the wound healed.

She is getting stronger and walking around some, but assisted. She is also able to eat regular meals.

I have been scoping out rehab centers as she'll require some rehab. In my words, "sh! $s about to get real" with cost of all this crap. For the rehab can be a $100 a day! Not really worrying with that now, just wanting my mom back.

So, to the cancer part. They appear to want to start radiation on her Monday. They are not going to administer chemo due to this set back. They will do radiation six times instead of five now.

Appreciate the thougts, prayers, messages, and emails from everyone. This community is like a brotherhood.

Matthew
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Thanks for the update. I know you guys are disappointed she's not coming home for Christmas, but stay strong for her. Make the best of it and let her see that little girl if they will allow it, that always helps the grands.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options

Thanks for the update. I know you guys are disappointed she's not coming home for Christmas, but stay strong for her. Make the best of it and let her see that little girl if they will allow it, that always helps the grands.

It's a little disappointing, but that's okay.

I wish I could bring my little girl, but the staff advised not to. I honestly feel it would help speed things along.

Thanks for the kind words.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Sorry to here Mom isn't coming home for Christmas. There should be a case worker at the hospital to assist you in setting up and making the arrangements for the rehab center. When I was dealing with my dad I found them incredibly helpful. Dad had Medicare and a supplement and they paid the whole bill. I' not sure what is going on now that there were so many changes after Obama care became effective but the caseworker will help.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Prayers...I could post naked bacon man for a distraction?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    1/21/15 Update

My Mom was discharged from the nursing/rehab center yesterday evening.  She was one happy women.  Someone couldn't wipe the smile off her face.  

She will still require a home health nurse and physical therapy to come to her home for her wound throughout the week.  

This evening she will have her 16th of 35 treatment (radiation) for her cancer.  Her voice has already taken a hit from the treatment, but so far still has it.  

A new PEG tube was placed in her stomach last week and that appears to be doing a lot better than the first (which is why she's in the situation she is now).  

Still a long climb ahead, but she/we are slowly getting there.  

Again, I appreciate all the messages, comments, emails, and conversations.  

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    That is some great news. I'm sorry I missed this in december. I am wishing her a speedy recovery.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thanks @badinfluence!  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Glad to hear she is out!!!! Awesome news. Keep the good news coming.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • StillSmoken
    Options
    @tarheelmatt‌ somehow I missed this thread. It sounds like your Mother is a true fighter!! I'm glad to see she is making good progress. Prayers for your Mother and family.
    Kennesaw Ga. XL Egg. Cheers, Kevin
  • ekuapa
    ekuapa Posts: 128
    Options
    We went through something similar with my In-Law a few years back. We will keep your mom, you and your family in our prayers.
    Southaven, MS.
    BGE L
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's good to hear! Has your mom read this thread at all? It may lift her spirits some more :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Party at Matt's house!! <:-P
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Awesome news ... glad to hear she is progressing.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Awesome News !!!!!!! #:-S >:D<
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Party at Matt's house!! <:-P
    This is Awesome news...So glad to hear Matt.. I will bring a covered dish...What you cooking.. :-bd
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Im new here but I know what your going through. Cancer has touched my immediate family also. It sounds like your mother is a strong person and she is lucky to you by her side. Be strong for her.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    :-bd
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thank you so much guys. You know, @caliking‌ , that maybe a great idea. I'll show her this for sure.

@Jeremiah‌ and @johnmitchell, let's do it!

John those sprouts you fixed the other day looked phenomenal BTW.
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Glad to hear your mom is out of rehab. Hoping the remaining treatments are uneventful and successful
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Matt, so glad to hear she's making good progress.  Cancer is so evil.  Showing her this should really help her spirits.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Woo wee glad to hear the good news. Nothing like being home. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    Thanks for sharing.  I'm hoping for all the best for you and your family.  I've only been on this site for a month and I love it as well.  This post and the comments are a testament of the Egghead Lifestyle and that it's more than just cooking.
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • Holepuncher
    Options
    Kinda late. MVP , Most Valuable Parent.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Great to hear a good update, my mom is in and out of the hospital and is in memory care, it is the saddest thing on earth to watch, trust me I know and feel your pain brother. Glad there are some bright spots for you and her.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • tarheelmatt
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Thanks all again for the kind comments, emails, and messages.  I let my Mom know of all the kind folks here and she smiled really big and said that is great and tell them thanks, and then she said prayer is wonderful!  

So, with that said, I have this bit of information.  Yesterday was her final radiation treatment.  She will have to go back for a follow up later to ensure all is well and it is completely gone, but for the most part, the treatments are finished.  

So they have a gong for all patients to hit on their last treatment and all the nurses come out to hug and chat for a little while.  The doctor comes out as well.  

Here is her video from yesterday.  She would hurt me if she knew I done this maybe, but what she don't know will not hurt her.  :)  

Now, we just need to get her wound healed up (which it is going well so far) she should be back up and running soon.  We're having to pack the wound still everyday, but that is minimal and I still have my Mom.  God is good! 

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jcaspary
    Options
    Awesome news Matt!!!  I lost my MIL (she was awesome...too bad the same can't be said for the $%^%& of my ex)  two days ago last year.  Cancer is a bear to deal with for all involved.  Prayers to you and the rest of your family.
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Thanks, Joe!  

Just Googled where you're located.  My wife went to school not to far from Strongsville.  She went to Ashland University.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • jcaspary
    Options
    My sister went there also and still lives there.  Go figure.  This Egg world is a small one.  Small but wonderful!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH