Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mini & mini max owners

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
Out there? Mickey I know is did you keep your mini? I may have a decision to make and wondering what to do with the mini if I go that path or do you keep both rather than take the hit $ wise on a mini sale.
Is it a substantial upgrade? I know its only 3" but we all know every inch counts :-?

Seattle, WA

Comments

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    Have a Mini..wanting the Mini-Max for the increased cooking space.  BUT - have a very expensive ($2K+) table/island that I'm not sure the Max will fit into without major surgery :(
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    I should add that I can cook 90% of what the Misses and I eat on the Mini.  It's just very, very TIGHT..and the extra few inches would make ALL the difference.

The only thing I'd then cook on the KJ Classic (LBGE size) would be whole spatch chicks, Pizza and the occasional big party food.
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • SmokyBear
    Options
    The Mini is also an awesome lump miser.  I swear I take more lump out of it after cooking than I put in.. :)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I don't have a Mini but, I can't say enough good things in regards to the MM. Well worth the investment imho.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    @SmokeyBear‌ yeah I have the mini and it works for my family of 4 (kids 3&5) but that's going to end soon.
    I'm in talks for a mini max now debating what id do with the mini if i pull the trigger
    Seattle, WA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Do you take your mini places? If so keep the mini its portable. The MM is "portable". Go see a MM in person and lift it and you'll see. I would sell my MM before my mini cause its easier to take to the pool. If I need more space I have other options.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    ^^ yeah. REALLY heavy.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    V the plan was to sell the Mini when I got the Mini-Max but it didn't happen (and will not). First off itis a lot heaver than the Mini but Linda & I can move easy togather where I can move the Mini in the Carten by myself now (few more years?). Also did nor realize the MM is as much taller than the Mini. If I take the Tacoma with the Lid Cover on the MM will not allow to close, the Mini in the Carten closed just fine. If I use the Van no problem or the Tacoma w/o Lid ( but not happy to expose to theft. So will have both. With the 4 Eggs if I could only keep one it would be the Mini-Max. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeremiah
    Options
    @Mickey‌ what if you leave the ceramic topper off the minimax, will it fit then?
  • Mickey
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

@Mickey‌ what if you leave the ceramic topper off the minimax, will it fit then?

Nope. Would be fine on Tundra or any full size PU just not Tacoma with Lid type hard cover.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    SmokyBear said:
    I should add that I can cook 90% of what the Misses and I eat on the Mini.  It's just very, very TIGHT..and the extra few inches would make ALL the difference.

The only thing I'd then cook on the KJ Classic (LBGE size) would be whole spatch chicks, Pizza and the occasional big party food.

I have spatched a single chicken several times on the Mini. I like about 3.5lbs but a little more size will work. Still 375/400 direct and raised on the Woo. photo photo-906.jpg

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    +1 on spatched chicken on mini. Works great- just add the cork to the thermometer so it doesn't punch the bird. @Mickey single-handedly sold me on the mini and I have not looked back. One visit to a dealer and lifting the MM and I knew it wasn't for me
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    +1 on spatched chicken on mini. Works great- just add the cork to the thermometer so it doesn't punch the bird. @Mickey single-handedly sold me on the mini and I have not looked back. One visit to a dealer and lifting the MM and I knew it wasn't for me

What Chubbs said about the cork is a must. You should have tossed the spring thing away by now on all your Eggs.

• SkinnyV
    Options
    I was thinking a few cookouts and some travel time with the max....The "heavy" comments have me a bit worried.
    I'll know more later.
    Seattle, WA
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    SkinnyV said:

I was thinking a few cookouts and some travel time with the max....The "heavy" comments have me a bit worried.
    I'll know more later.

It'll travel. image it's traveling right now! \:D/
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    =D>
    Planning those beach and summer cookouts now.
    Seattle, WA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
     I may have a decision to make and wondering what to do with the mini if I go that path or do you keep both rather than take the hit $ wise on a mini sale.

I say keep the mini. I have a mini, Joe Jr and received a MM for Christmas from my awesome wife. The mini is just perfect for so many things in my opinion. You already own it and its paid for so I would keep it as a back up if nothing else. You can never have to many heat sources. I use to think that anything smaller than a large was a waste of money. Then I kept seeing @Mickey post cooks on his mini and talk about it like it was magic. I succumbed to temptation and bought one. My biggest regret now is not buying a mini years ago. I also have some other very large smokers that I really enjoy for various reasons. That said, as I get older I see the big wood fired units going away at some point down the road. They are just to large for one old man to tend to. The mini is here to stay. The more I use it the more I like it. No matter what smokers come and go, the mighty mini will always be in my arsenal. It just works and works well with little effort or fuss. Hard to ask for much more than that. Short of using the 2 part method on unit #6, the best steaks I have ever made came off of the mini. I will always have a mini for steaks and shrimp if nothing else. I can cook steaks at 1,300 degrees and use less than 2 pounds of lump. Not many smokers can even seriously approach this kind of performance or efficiency. Heck I could talk about the mighty mini all day if time allowed. However time is short so I will leave you with my final thoughts on the mini. Its a ass kicking machine without question or doubt. Keep the mini my friend and enjoy its versatility.

Big John & Little John in the bucket.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @SGH ... once again Scottie ... it's green eggs and yellow equipment!!!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @SGH ... once again Scottie ... it's green eggs and yellow equipment!!!
    Well said my friend. Well said indeed. As you can see, im quite fond of all things green.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.