Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling deer steaks

Options
I have 4 deer steaks, about 1" thick, I plan to grill on Saturday. These are my first deer steaks and I need some help on the prep and cook. I plan to marinate but need some advise on what to use. Anybody grilled deer meat?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    What cut are they? Regardless, you need to cook them really high temp to rare and let rest 5 minutes then eat. Have your sides ready. The longer deer sits after cooking ghe tougher it gets.

Little Rock, AR

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    I've marinated in Italian dressing before in a ziplock overnight for venison fajitas and they turned out great. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Salt and pepper then grill. Be careful not to overcook them and the will cook fast.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    edited January 2015
    Options
    They dry out quick. They are incredibly lean. No fat to render. I prefer marinading them. I've also wrapped in bacon which worked well.

You can also cut them in smaller medalions and pan fry in thin layer of oil.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I marinade in Dales for about 15 minutes, then grill direct at high temp until 120° internal.
    GWN
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    While I have never Egged any deer steaks, I do have an entire deer I will soon fire up.  
    In the past, I have marinated deer steaks in Moore's sauce.  Similar to Dale's but less sodium.  Deer has very little fat so will cook really quickly.  It can be very good if cooked properly but like others have mentioned, it can dry out very easily.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • cottonseed
    cottonseed Posts: 87
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Cook em as close to medium-medium rare as you can manage.

wrapping in bacon can help. but some ppl dont like to do it. Violating the pure meat etc.

They take a marinade quite well. No longer than 24 hours.

Bourbon or red wine in the mix is good. If you use bourbon no longer than 12 hours.

then a little water and whatever spices you like to use. 

maybe a little veggie or olive oil if you feel like it.

Oh and give em a good sear on each side at 600* or so.

or you can reverse sear them.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    for me generally a thicker marinade works, something that sticks to it as you cook, a lot of heat and cook fast. Anyone have any reservations on cooking deer rare? I always do, but I know in our government guidelines book (I know I know) it recommends well. Im sure any wild game is a lot safer than anything else at a store, but just wondering if theres a specific parasite to watch out for, like in some of the wild caught fish around.
  • cottonseed
    Options
    only one i know of in ducks:

Deer can get arterial worms and lung worms.

no threat to humans really.
    Atlanta, GA
    Large Egg ~1998 model
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    The steaks are being marinated now (Dales low sodium) and in the fridge. I appreciate all comments and suggestions. Hope I can post a positive report after the grill.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • eggo
    Options
    Marinated in Dales LS for 24 hours in the fridge. Patted dry with paper towel and seasoned with garlic powder and season all. They cooked fast at 600 degrees. I pulled them at 140 + or - degrees. They were rare to med rare and were delicious and surprisingly tender. I was not confident this would turn out good but it did. 
    Thanks all for the advice.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @eggo somehow I think you are bluffin. No picks...didn't happen.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Dude, don't call him a jerky just because he didn't post pics. :D
  • eggo
    Options
    Didn't last long enough for pics.
    Eggo in N. MS