Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Person to Meat Ratio for burgers

Options
Grilling up some bison burgers this weekend for a dinner party we are hosting.  To be honest, I've never felt like I've done a good job at making consistent burger sizes for the number of people.  I know for pork it is generally 1.5lbs/person but I'm not sure on burgers (that seems like a lot).  So I come to the forum: what ratio do you guys use?  

Comments

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Hungry teenage boys or whom are you feeding? For burgers I usually make 1/3 to 1/2 pound burgers and if its adults then 1.5 burgers a piece but if it's kids then maybe a tad smaller. Always better in my book to have a few extra then not enough.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• NoJokeSmoke
    NoJokeSmoke Posts: 42
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I make 6 ounce patties and use a 4" ring mold to form them consistently.  After cooking, they are about 1/3 of a pound.  Most guys will have two and most ladies will have one burger.  My favorite meat blend is to have the butcher grind 70% Brisket and 30% Chuck.

• StellarEvo
    Options
    I'm actually doing bison burgers - they are bit healthier and the people coming are trying to stick to some New Year's Resolutions.  I'm guessing everybody (minus me) is going to stick to 1 burger.  I just wasn't sure how big they needed to be.  I am a master at making a 3 good burgers and having a meatball size hunk left.  :))
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    3 or 4 half pounders per person if your feeding people with appetites like @SGH‌. Otherwise +1 with the quantities @NoJokeSmoke‌ gave. Also, you can make more for insurance or have a few packs of dogs on hand.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming