Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Keep Your Kids Away from Disneyland!!!

Options
JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
edited January 2015 in EggHead Forum
I'm sure that's the take-home message many will walk away with given the latest news:

"The measles outbreak that started at Disneyland and one other California theme park is expanding, with 59 confirmed cases in patients ranging in age from 7 months to 70 years. The California Department of Public Health has linked 42 of these cases to people who visited Disneyland or Disney's California Adventure Park.

Initially, cases were linked to people who visited the parks in mid-December, but health officials now say that other people with measles were at the parks in January while infectious and also have spread the disease.

The outbreak has spread beyond California with seven cases in Utah, Washington, Colorado and Oregon. Mexico has also confirmed a case."

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    So Tilapia, Bacon and Disney will kill a fella [-( What's next petting zoos :-S
    I didn't want to believe Mickey was as bad as Hitler, but after this... ?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    As long as beer doesn't get added to that list...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    JIC I'm sorry but, we need to confirm this story with another media outlet other than NPR. =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Legume said:
    bad/fraudulent science pointing to vaccines as a culprit for autism spectrum disorders is to blame for this by creating years of vaccine-deniers No such issues with bacon as far as I'm aware
    I was vaccinated, that might explain what's wrong with me...  :-\"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:

bad/fraudulent science pointing to vaccines as a culprit for autism spectrum disorders is to blame for this by creating years of vaccine-deniers

No such issues with bacon as far as I'm aware

But I saw Larry King interview Jenny McCarthy about autism and vaccines, and she sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Playboy models are very knowledgeable people.
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    This is what happens when people don't immunize.  We are seeing a significant increase in measles cases.  

Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Yeah, well...um, yeah. I wouldn't use her as a wiki on science issues. I can't think of one movie or show she's been in where she played a scientist.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    JIC she actually does know a lot when it comes to autism. Her Son, I believe, is autistic. She does a lot to try to improve his quality of life. That and Dayumn she still looks fantastic. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    yep - you're correct and I'm sure she's a good and caring mom that's fighting for what she believes in, unfortunately she's wrong, she's opinionated and she has a very public pulpit.  the research around treatment and therapy for those afflicted to understand and improve their quality of life is different than the scientific research into the potential cause of it.  lots of people bit on that fraudulent research, but I think the last thing I heard about her was that she had not let go of the vaccine connection and was still pushing for parents to not vaccinate their kids.  in my book, that's dangerous misuse of her fame-granted soap-box.

rant over.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    bad/fraudulent science pointing to vaccines as a culprit for autism spectrum disorders is to blame for this by creating years of vaccine-deniers No such issues with bacon as far as I'm aware
    But I saw Larry King interview Jenny McCarthy about autism and vaccines, and she sounded like she knew what she was talking about. Playboy models are very knowledgeable people.

But she has this medical expert as backup:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/23/the-disneyland-measles-outbreak-and-the-disgraced-doctor-who-whipped-up-fear-about-vaccinations/?tid=hp_mm

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NervousDad
    Options
    So Tilapia, Bacon and Disney will kill a fella [-( What's next petting zoos :-S

Aurora,OH
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yeah, well...um, yeah. I wouldn't use her as a wiki on science issues. I can't think of one movie or show she's been in where she played a scientist.
    But she did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • NervousDad
    Options

JIC she actually does know a lot when it comes to autism. Her Son, I believe, is autistic. She does a lot to try to improve his quality of life. That and Dayumn she still looks fantastic. ;)
    She knows a lot about ASD, but next to nothing about vaccines.

Anti-vaxxers are the best(worst) kind of stupid.
    Sad part is people listened to her. Jim Carey was smart to get out of there...
    Aurora,OH
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    edited January 2015
    Options

I didn't realize it started on Larry King; sounded something more like from Faux News...

Yeah, vaccine deniers have re-established measles, mumps, and whooping cough.  
    X(

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• NPHuskerFL
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @NervousDad‌ Jim Carrey & smart in the same sentence [-(
    Why not throw Alec Baldwin in the mix.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @NervousDad‌ Jenny McCarthy speaks of Autism gets ridiculed but, she actually does care because her Son has it. Jim Carrey bashes all gun owners and then retracts his rant and he's smart? I think he's funny but, a complete stereotypical Hollywood person that is completely out of touch. Now let's egg something. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @NervousDad‌ Jenny McCarthy speaks of Autism gets ridiculed but, she actually does care because her Son has it. Jim Carrey bashes all gun owners and then retracts his rant and he's smart? I think he's funny but, a complete stereotypical Hollywood person that is completely out of touch. Now let's egg something. B-)
    @NPHuskerFL, Who is criticizing McCarthy for her speaking about Autism? Now, when she spouts **** about vaccines and cites pseudoscience to back it up, she fully deserves ridicule. With the resources she has, she should know better.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Okay :)>- Guess I missed the vaccine part. That I agree with you. Opinions are like **** we all have one. But, celebrities apparently have gaping....Opinions.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    This was not Disneylands fault. It could happen at any large gathering of people where someone has a communicable disease and others were not vaccinated.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Anti-vaxxers are winning the Darwin Award through their kids.  Sadly they're killing other people's kids too.
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Definitely not a Jim Carrey fan :D When he made those comments I never watched another one of his movies again.  I just had a problem with they way she attacked vaccines without any evidence what so ever. millions die from not being vaccinated. O' and she is way hot ;)
    Aurora,OH
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Definitely not a Jim Carrey fan :D When he made those comments I never watched another one of his movies again. 
    Carey is a Canuk. Not defending or commenting in any way but he's not Hollywood.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Options

Definitely not a Jim Carrey fan :D When he made those comments I never watched another one of his movies again.  I just had a problem with they way she attacked vaccines without any evidence what so ever. millions die from not being vaccinated. O' and she is way hot ;)

I'll never understand this. He's an actor, who cares? People treat it like he drowns babies in his free time.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I got "vaccinated" at Salado last year.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    henapple said:

I've heard that drinking enough PBR has the same effect as getting a flu shot.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    henapple said:

Steven told you to not drop the soap.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I didn't even notice it man. You know what I mean.

Steve 

Caledon, ON