Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork enchilada recipe?

Big Jim
Big Jim Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am looking for another use for my leftover pulled pork. I was hoping that someone would have an enchilada recipe that worked well with pork. I am trying to avoid just using a canned sauce since they tend to overpower milder flavors like the pork. Thanks in advance for any help. Jim

Comments

• bigjim,
    Try this. I've made it several times. Always a hit.[p]PULLED PORK ENCHILADAS
    2 cups chopped onion
    1?2 cup butter or margarine
    19 oz. Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce
    4 cups cheese, shredded (Mexican blend or Monterrey Jack)
    4 cups pulled pork, finely shredded
    4 oz. can green chiles, diced
    4 oz. can pimentos, diced
    1 pint sour cream
    Ten 8" flour tortillas
    Sauté onion in butter until tender, and lower heat. Stir in 3/4 enchilada sauce and 2 cups shredded cheese until melted. Add pork, chiles, and pimento, and mix well. Mix remaining enchilada sauce with sour cream. Pour a portion of sour cream/sauce mixture on bottom of a 13x9 baking dish, and spread evenly. Fill each tortilla with equal portions of pork mixture and roll up. Arrange in dish and spoon remaining sour cream sauce over. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake @ 350° for 30 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve with additional sour cream, if desired.

• bigjim,
    Check the recipe section:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Pulled Pork Enchiladas[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    NOW I know where I got it! Thanks. I haven't seen DavidR post recently, but I owe him a lot of thanks for many fine meals.

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    bigjim,
    I usually use a canned sauce just for convenience, but different brands can vary a lot in taste. For a simple sauce get about 6 dried new mexico chiles and remove the seeds and stems. Break them up and put them in a blender with a can of chicken broth, 2 garlic cloves, a pinch of cumin, salt, and pepper. Blend into a smooth puree then strain into a sauce pan. I use one of those rubber spatulas in the strainer to push out as much as possible. Pour another can of chicken broth through the strainer then cook the mixture at a simmer until it reduces to about one half. Don't spill it on anything, it really stains. -RP

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    I forgot to add that you can also add a can of tomatos and a little honey to the blender if you want more of a tomato type sauce. -RP

• The Naked Whiz, Thanks, a couple of others mentioned this recipe, so I think I will start with it. I think I will substitute corn for flour tortillas, but the rest sounds good. Jim

• AZRP, Thanks for the replying. I use the canned sauce when I am using ground beef, but I was afraid the cumin might hide the flavor of the pork(and I love that pork). I'll give your home made sauce recipe a try as it seems simple enough. Jim