Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why don't newbies know about this site?

RRP
RRP Posts: 25,887
Long story, but my subtle BGE decal caught the eye of a newbie today. He was in a hurry and I didn't have a chance to give him this forum address, but it raised my USUAL question. Those of us who are believers know just how valuable this forum is to us. It just baffles me why dealers - let alone BGE itself doesn't hand out slips of paper or print out on their sales receipts an advice to visit this site. Granted not every buyer will end up hanging out at this watering hole, but after teaching BGE classes now for the last 8 years I am dumb founded that people don't know this!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• tcracing
    tcracing Posts: 378
    I agree with you.
    George Foreman? Who? 
    Tim C. Panama City, Fl. 
    Large, Minimax-soon
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I know a whole bunch of eggers who don't know about this site. One of the guys I share common space with at work is an egger. He comes for ideas occasionally, only because I pointed him here, but is not a member. This is a great resource and a great community. I agree Ron, they should promote it.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Some companies couldn't market free sex......
    Jacksonville FL
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Agreed!! The guys on this forum have taught me so much, and made me a much better Egger. Learned more in a year, about the Egg and cooking with it, on this forum than I would've in a lifetime without it.
    GWN
  • Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Let's admit the forum is good and bad (in a good way). I bought my first egg based on some research and a friend that had one posting some great results on Facebook. Without the forum in 2014 I would not have gone to Salado, would not have my third egg, nor increased overall spending on food to grill by at least 5 times, cooking for several neighbors.
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • If you type in just about any type of meat (ribs, steak, pork butt) and big green egg into Google - invariably you come to this website. People who own Eggs and don't know about this forum aren't actually using their BGEs or cooking very much. Or they're just idiots.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    Those who rarely cook on their eggs subsidize our warranty.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Those who rarely cook on their eggs subsidize our warranty.
    Interesting theory...thanks for sharing! OTOH I wonder how many buyers REALLY have a clue about the warranty, let alone some of the hoops to jump through like your Father tried to summarize last week! We read here all the time about dealer's sales people who are clueless and give out crappy information. In the last 15 years I have been around the block a few times and I think know a few things and too often newbies TODAY don't bother to let important issues, ideas etc stick. Oh well...good night folks...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tisoypops
    tisoypops Posts: 267
    Yet another good thread. @RRP‌ I'm a newbie and sometimes feel overwhelmed by how many good ideas and issues and try to file them all away for later but don't always know which ones are important to remember.
    LBGE | Conroe, TX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,022
    edited January 2015
    Personally I think those who want to learn will find the forum.

I spend a lot of time on BBQ Brethren. I saw a few links to here, but the layout is so archaic it put me off.

After lurking for a while I decided there was a ton of good guys(and ladies) and advice. I signed up and then forgot about the site because it took a few weeks to get my membership approved. My dad kept prodding me to check it out again.

I am glad I did, but it was not a user friendly process.

just my 2cents.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    They know about this forum. But then they see @henapple 's bacon man pics, and its all over at that point.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    caliking said:

They know about this forum. But then they see @henapple 's bacon man pics, and its all over at that point.

That's what kept me coming back for more.
    =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • I probably wouldn't have tried making a brisket. But, after seeing pics of others making them on here, I just HAD to try it. Thanks to the help from this site, I enjoy brisket and am not intimidated by it.
    I go to other sites, but end up back here.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I was lucky enough to stumble across this thread prior to buying an egg. The KJ site sucked @$$ and this forum was friendly enough to give me advice. This site sold me, not the dealer. I showed my dealer the website, but they didn't really think very much about it(appeared that way anyways).
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    RRP said:
    Long story, but my subtle BGE decal caught the eye of a newbie today. He was in a hurry and I didn't have a chance to give him this forum address, but it raised my USUAL question. Those of us who are believers know just how valuable this forum is to us. It just baffles me why dealers - let alone BGE itself doesn't hand out slips of paper or print out on their sales receipts an advice to visit this site. Granted not every buyer will end up hanging out at this watering hole, but after teaching BGE classes now for the last 8 years I am dumb founded that people don't know this!
    Is this a rhetorical question?
  • I am finding that the Egg newbie prospects I talk to (those that want the Egg but haven't pulled the trigger yet) even see the value in this site. I had a coworker talking about cooking a beef tenderloin on his Weber Kettle. He was asking me for advice so I shared my two cents but then said "watch this" and did the search and showed him the wealth of knowledge on here. He was amazed at what we have here. It should be a selling feature for the dealers to help sell the Egg as much as it should be great info to share with the Newbs. I couldn't agree with you more @RRP.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    That's what kept me coming back for more. =))
    Save that bit of info for your therapist.

I can't imagine trying to learn the egg without the knowledge and direction on this site.  While it could be done, the trial and error would be quite costly.  With the information available and my love of cooking/eating good food - I would cook something on my egg almost every night if time allowed. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    When the Salado Ace dealer opened the doors I suggested a laptop with the forum on it for people to see while making a buying decision. 5 years later still not happening. When trying to decide what to buy and know about this resource behind the decision......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    If anyone does any kind of online research before buying, they should find this site. It is linked to from http://www.biggreenegg.com on the top navigation bar.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,829
    I found this site looking for cooking tips when I was cooking on my Weber kettle and my ProQ bullet smoker.  Based on what I read here I wanted to meet some of you.  The price of that privilege was a BGE, so I bought an XL and went to Salado.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I am finding that the Egg newbie prospects I talk to (those that want the Egg but haven't pulled the trigger yet) even see the value in this site. I had a coworker talking about cooking a beef tenderloin on his Weber Kettle. He was asking me for advice so I shared my two cents but then said "watch this" and did the search and showed him the wealth of knowledge on here. He was amazed at what we have here. It should be a selling feature for the dealers to help sell the Egg as much as it should be great info to share with the Newbs. I couldn't agree with you more @RRP.
    Absolutley true.  I didn't know the BGE existed.  Was researching WSM and stumbled upon this site, and it is absolutely great.  I don't know how you all do it.  It is such a friendly site, seemingly without any moderators (or even the need for them).  

I get about as much out of a Weber gaser that is humanly possible i think.  My stove isn't even hooked up, as I do all my cooking outside.  I can't wait for the low and slow capability.  I will be an egg head this year, hopefully sooner than later.
    Phoenix 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited January 2015
    @blasting  It will not disappoint!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Why does it take so long for approval? I read for what seemed like an eternity and kinda just figured I got lost in the shiffle but finally got approval email to post. I know several people who registered and gave up because it takes so long.

Little Rock, AR

• My egg was delivered without even a scrap of paper regarding setup, maintenance, or use. Luckily I'd previously discovered the google, and the name was branded right into the handle. Pretty sure this forum was one of the first results, and definitely played a role in my keeping the egg (it was a gift).

Agreed, though, that they definitely could leverage it better since it's an enthusiast forum.

At least they chose well for their forum layout. The other active forum I found looked like something from the early 90's and I've not even bothered with it.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    This forum is invaluable to the newb, I feel sorry for the people who only join the facebook groups, there are so many misinforming chuckleheads on that site, nobody gets, or gives proper info, it is your usual facebook BS, smart asses, and stupid comments, constant arguing and backbiting. And the funniest of all, they have kinged a guy with the title of inventing cornstarched wings, and they all believe he is the inventor! SMDH. Clownshow.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • I think I know why the manufacturer and BGE sellers don't advertise the forum. True, there is much helpful info about the product and how to use it but interspersed is plenty of sexism and racism which no national brand would want or can afford to be associated with. My family has built it's wealth on representing a national brand and we would run from this forum like it was on fire.

Woman buy BGEs too. Do you think we want to be called SWMBO all the time? How about reading a string on a cooking technique to see a picture of a woman squatting with her back to you wearing a thong, what 's that got to do with BBQ? It's like teenage boy high school crap. My local Ace is owned by a woman. Do you think she'd put a laptop by the BGEs so she could say 'hey look at this, the forum has lots of useful info but the boys are just being boys so don't take it personally'. 

There are people of color and other nationalities that read the forum. How about the racism in the 'What city don't you want to live in'  topic? How about the hate filled, racist tirades whenever the President of the US is brought up. 

The majority of businesses in the US don't want to outwardly support sexism and racism so that my friends is why the forum is not marketed as a tool to the buyer.

Large, Medium & Mini-Max - Seattle & a Puget Sound Island

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    greenenvy said:

My egg was delivered without even a scrap of paper regarding setup, maintenance, or use. Luckily I'd previously discovered the google, and the name was branded right into the handle. Pretty sure this forum was one of the first results, and definitely played a role in my keeping the egg (it was a gift).

Agreed, though, that they definitely could leverage it better since it's an enthusiast forum.

At least they chose well for their forum layout. The other active forum I found looked like something from the early 90's and I've not even bothered with it.

I believe it was actually created around 98 :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.