Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking forward to Salado

Options
Well, I went and did it. A few months back (summer off, before knee injury, and before the rest of my life just seemed to get totally cray-cray), I was really contemplating making the journey to Salado. Mind you, I lived in Killeen and do NOT have fond memories, so you know the pull was strong to get me to even think about coming back. Then came Fall. Knee kept me from wanting to do much after work (still does). Life got cray-cray (not mine, just dealing with family members health issues), weather got rainy...I haven't really had the energy to egg much and I sorta had the Salado Fire in me die out. A few weeks ago, those close to me started saying I needed to take some me time...which I really don't do (anyone who is a son/daughter to aging parents/parent to littles/works in whatever way full time/living on a tight budget can probably understand this). Not my style at all, but I decided to commit to doing something totally outrageous. With the help of wonderful @Mickey‌ and the owner at the Inn, I managed to secure a room at the Inn so I will be close to the action. With the help of @Spring Chicken‌ , I'm pre-registered for the Fest, with the help of Hotwire, my plane ticket is bought (gulp). With the inspiration of everyone I've had the pleasure to get to know on here over the past year, I've committed to going back to a state I never thought I'd return to, hang out with people I've never met (as a loner, mind you...I'm traveling from WA to back to TX for the first time on my own), and am looking forward to the totally outrageous experience of immersing myself in the eggsperience and leaving the stress of the past few months behind for the weekend. I guess what I'm trying to say was that this forum really does make egging more of a lifestyle than just cooking, and I appreciate the big, dysfunctional family we make here. Thanks for being awesome enough to make me want to commit to this trip and I look forward to meeting you all. If you see the gimpy, pale, treehugger from WA when you're there, please do come say hello. I won't be cooking (Alaska said "no" to the egg as a carry-on), but I'd be glad to give a hand if you need me. I'd also love to enjoy sharing a meal and a beverage with you all. Thank you for that. Cheers. Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Sandy we can't wait to grill you about Olympia. You are going to love the Inn and its owner Will. If you should wish to cook we will have 30 Large Eggs or just help someone or just eat. This is just a hug fest with 400 of your closest friends.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Its cool your doing something for your self. I'm pumped about going this year also.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Sandy…that is way cool. You will have a great time. Salado is nothing like Killeen.lol
    If you just want to hang out and eat and drink my wife will show you around. Just don't drink as much as she did at her last Texas Eggfest and you will survive the Friday night party and even make the Eggfest. lol
    Safe travels
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Mickey said:

This is just a hug fest with 400 of your closest friends.

Best bunch of happy drunks I've ever hung around with. You must meet @henapple. If you can't find him, it just means he fell over... Again.

Seriously though, I dare you to not have a good time. Sounds like it would be well-deserved :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I really wanted to come to this, but it now looks like I will be out of the country for work at this time.  Maybe next year.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    You will have a great time and feel very welcomed.  I look forward to meeting you.  It's a GREAT Eggfest and very, very relaxed and friendly!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @PNWFoodie‌ ...plan on cooking. There's a grocery store close by. I heard too many people say they wish they had their first eggfest in Salado. Hope to see you there.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     EggObsessed group…They have very sneaky drinks. lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @Photo_Egg:  hee hee!!!!  You can count on a "Maker Fuzzy", for sure!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

And remember, if it's time for you to let loose, then let loose.  You're among friends and there's not many places in Salado to hide from us.  We're all there to have fun and enjoy the weekend.

See you in Salado.

Spring "Fest Scribe" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

You will have a great time and feel very welcomed.  I look forward to meeting you.  It's a GREAT Eggfest and very, very relaxed and friendly!

Wait, people are friendly? I thought everyone there just stole PBR? That doesn't sound very friendly.

I'm confused, if this isn't somewhere to steal beer I might have to change plans...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    That would be Tony's cooler. He won't mind, he will be passed out anyway.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    DMW said:
    Wait, people are friendly? I thought everyone there just stole PBR? That doesn't sound very friendly. I'm confused, if this isn't somewhere to steal beer I might have to change plans...
    All the beer thiefs are friendly to each other.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Sandy we can't wait to grill you about Olympia. You are going to love the Inn and its owner Will. If you should wish to cook we will have 30 Large Eggs or just help someone or just eat. This is just a hug fest with 400 of your closest friends.

I'm so looking forward to meeting you and yours! Thank you for everything the team of you do to put this together! Feel free to ask any Oly questions you may have...and I will make personalized deliveries of whatever PNW products you or anyone else may have. Just ask! We've got rubs, we have smoked salmon, we have rain...whatever you may want!
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Sandy…that is way cool. You will have a great time. Salado is nothing like Killeen.lol
    If you just want to hang out and eat and drink my wife will show you around. Just don't drink as much as she did at her last Texas Eggfest and you will survive the Friday night party and even make the Eggfest. lol
    Safe travels

There's a lot of reasons for my intense hated of Killeen...many of them not fair, I'm sure. It was a hard time both personally and professionally. In its defense, it's still better than El Paso. :) In all seriousness, I remember Salado kindly and would have loved San Antonio and Corpus Christie and REALLY loved Austin if the heat wouldn't have been so...welll....hot, lol!
    Sandy
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Salado is far enough away. It shouldn't be too bad.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    And I'll be there, which is a plus.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    And I'll be there, which is a plus.

Huge smile. Yes, sir...I am definitely looking forward to meeting you!
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    Safe travels

That's also very kind of your wife to offer. Thank you both. Can't promise on the amount of drinking thing, though...hydration is important. :)
    Sandy
  • PNWFoodie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    @PNWFoodie‌ ...plan on cooking. There's a grocery store close by. I heard too many people say they wish they had their first eggfest in Salado. Hope to see you there.

It's tempting, but my hope is to destress this weekend. Trying to find ingredients, prep equip, fridge stuff...not this year. On the other hand, ANYONE who IS cooking and needs an extra set of hands either to help, give a potty break, or give time to wander the fest for yourselves , PLEASE call on me! I'll be at the meet and greet and will gladly give you my cell number for whenever you need me. It would honestly make me happy if y'all took me up on the offer. :)
    Sandy
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Options
    @PNWFoodie I can relate to taking care of parents and you are doing the right thing by taking a break for yourself. Try to leave the guilt behind and come on down and enjoy the fun of Salado. You deserve it.  Look forward to meeting you.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA