Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Ceramic Dome Needed

The ceramic dome on my large egg cracked.  Where can I get a replacement?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Did you buy the egg new? If so, it's covered under warranty.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • yeah, bought it new about 2 years ago.  how long is the warranty?

• orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    lifetime!  you should just contact your dealer and they should be able to take care of you.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Take a picture of it along with your receipt to your nearest dealer and they will help you out.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    If you never registered the egg, do it now, then call your dealer, or any good dealer. and place claim for replacement, provide serial # of egg, (found on dome in back at hinge area), and original recpt. Send pic of damage, ceramics have lifetime warranty.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    How did it crack? If dropped on the patio, not covered by warranty. If cracked during a cook, you are fine.
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Tjcoley said:
    How did it crack? If dropped on the patio, not covered by warranty. If cracked during a cook, you are fine.
    And if not covered under warranty - your dealer can get you a replacement.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    If it was cracked due to dropping, probably not coverev by warranty.

But you may want to start using a smokeware cap instead. I haven't used either other cap for about a year now.

Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • I did a lot of searching about this before buying my egg.  What I found in various forums is what has already been shared here, how it cracked is directly linked to if it is under warranty or not. 

I remember seeing what someone had to pay for a new ceramic dome and thinking that it wasn't as much as I expected. 

Obviously you can't quote me on this and I don't remember all the details (ie: size of the egg) but I think it was only a couple hundred dollars.

BBQ Tom on most social media - Instagram - YouTube
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    @robsillup, do you mean the ceramic cap that sits on top of the dome? Or do you mean the top half of the unit with the handle?

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    While we are on the subject....is there a super sly way to see if an egg has been registered?  As in bought used, have all the original paperwork, but curious if it was registered to someone else.
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    apinion said:
    While we are on the subject....is there a super sly way to see if an egg has been registered?  As in bought used, have all the original paperwork, but curious if it was registered to someone else.
    @apinion try to register it yourself may work. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    I'm waiting on the internet police to notice that I am trying to register a egg that has already been registered and poof!

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • orbbq
    orbbq Posts: 39
    I don't think their registration system actually does anything more than generate an email confirmation.  I know it doesn't authenticate the serial number, when i registered mine I mistakenly got the wrong number (took a stamped part number off something else).  Their site happily told me I was all registered and good to go.  Submitted the form again with the right number and got the same deal.

I think when it comes down to an actual claim they go off of proof of purchase from the customer or dealer (IE: receipt/ sales order/ customer record/ etc.) and not the website registration.
    BGE XL in the Pacific NW