Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole Foods Lump?

Options

Anyone ever try this stuff? Picked up a bag today. 8.8lbs for $5.99

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/real-hardwood-charcoal

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

Comments

• bcrombie
    Options
    I have wondered this as well. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Yes.

Before my Egg it was my go-to lump for my Webber simply based on convenience.  Lump was certainly better than briquettes. 

Since buying my Egg last May, and using it most every day, I went back and forth between BGE and Whole Foods.  I found Whole Foods burned faster, had more small pieces and dust and did not deliver the smokey BGE flavor. 

Recently, I bought a bag of Whole Foods and thought I'd try Rockwood too. Once I tried Rockwood I set the Whole Foods aside and then used it for short cooks like burgers just to get rid of it. 

I do like the Rockwood and will buy another bag before I buy BGE. I also want to try Nature-Glo and order some Ozark Oak to try. 

Bottom line, Whole Foods is ok and would use with no hesitation for quick cooks but I would not risk a low and slow on it. There are better products out there, 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    If I remember correctly, WF lump is made by Cowboy brand.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I don't think this is lump.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    I've used a few times and no major problems just on the small and ashy side. If I'm out of RW, I have no problem picking it up to hold me over.
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That's a surprising price from Whole Paycheck.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    logchief said:

That's a surprising price from Whole Paycheck.

The price is subsidized by all the profits they rake in selling herbal supplements to retards.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • greenenvy
    Options
    I just finally figured out that lump is different from charcoal/briquettes. Seems obvious, in hindsight.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX