Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak or not?

Options
13»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @saluki2007 ... I want to try it first. 

Maybe even give him a bag to try, if he's not used it.  I pushed him off the fence on the SmokeWare cap (he ordered 18 last month) and introduced him to Red Mud, which he now stocks.  Want to be a knowledgeable salesman on the lump.

But, thanks for speaking up ... now I know four people in the area who would buy it from him if available.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• MrCookingNurse
    Options
    JRWhitee said:

I used RO for years and the food was always great, the problem I had with it is how long it took for the white smoke to clear, at least an hour or so. I use Rockwood now and can get my food on in 20 minutes or so.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong but once the egg gets over 3-400 there's no more white smoke. Nowhere near an hour. I light it, go inside and play with my meat, and by the time in back its ready to go.

XLBGE 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Jeepster47  It's the only lump I use.  I actually would have 4 people that I know, including myself, that would buy it.  I order it in bulk from firecraft right now.  If you would like a bag to try, let me know and I will give you one.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Jeepster47
    Options
    @saluki2007 ... very kind offer sir.  If Dave's Ace Hardware in Wisconsin doesn't have any, I'll knock on your door right after the first of the year.

• AintEZbeingme
    Options
    use royal oak about 90% of time. live in small town and only one supplier carries only one brand of lump(ro). still it does the job for me.

THWG!!
    STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS!
    GIVE ME OYSTERS AND BEER FOR DINNER EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR
     & I'LL FEEL FINE!

SW Georgia :  LARGE & MINI BGE

• TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I like RO, it works fine for me.  The best I've used so far is the Kamodo Joe brand I got at ACE, big chunks and it seemed very hard and dense.  It seemed to last forever as well.  I got three good cooks out of one loading.  I don't have any problem with RO, it works and it's priced right.

LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

MrCookingNurse said:I Maybe I'm doing something wrong but once the egg gets over 3-400 there's no more white smoke. Nowhere near an hour. I light it, go inside and play with my meat, and by the time in back its ready to go.

I get my egg fired up with RO and by the time I read a few post here, the thing is burning 500* with no smoke.

If I played with my meat, the dam egg would glowing red.

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I have used RO for years now, its easy to get at walmart. I do have a home depot and a Menards nearby, do they have better selection of good lump? I havent had any issues really with the RO.

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Those of you that get into Chicago can purchase Nature Glo in 40 lb. bags from Berger Bros. Charcoal. I have been using it recently (I bought 240 lb.) and it seems to be very good. It is the version of RO for restaurants. The price is quite reasonable. It is highly recommended by Naked Whiz, I don't think I would go that far but it is better than most with the exception of the favorites on this site. The 40 lb. bags are a bit awkward to handle if you are a dump and light person when they are full. I emptied some into a Rubbermaid container to make it more reasonable. This is just what you need for your XXL!
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @bettysnephew ... can/do you notice a difference between Nature Glo and Royal Oak?  Nature Glo is Royal Oak in dress cloths ... but, from limited experience, I think the company puts better lump in the Nature Glo bags.

I thought it was a reflection on how brand conscious folks were when Nature Glo ranked higher than Royal Oak in their survey.  But, I'm not so sure there isn't a recognizable difference.

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Jeepster47  I agree it does seem to be of a somewhat better quality than RO. Nice sized pieces and less sparking than RO. It did have a slightly smoky aroma while I had it stored in the garage but it was a pleasant smell. It does impart a small bit of this smokiness on the cook but not at all objectionable. Might not work as well on cakes and bread as it does on protein.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • greenenvy
    Options
    Thought the RO lump was used in a number of other brands as well?

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Does anyone know how many different plants Royal Oak has for making lump? I get the impression that they have several in different parts of the country. I wonder how much of the differing impressions there are about RO may be due, at least partly, by product differences from the different plants.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.