Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reheating Tri-Tip

Options
Made a killer tri-tip last night but have half left.  What is the best way to reheat this without ruining it? 

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    It depends what you're eating it with, i make it with eggs and fry it up.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    I keep my leftovers in ziplock bags.  When it is time to reheat, the key is moisture and (relative) patience.  Slice however much you plan to eat then put it back in the in the ziplock or whatever container you are using with a moist paper towel.  Put it in the microwave on 40% power for 2-3 minutes.  When it is done, wait a minute or two for the heat to distribute and then assess it.  Repeat in 1-2 minute increments (at no more than 50% power) as needed until it is warm and the steam/moisture has a chance to get the whole piece warmed up.  This prevents/minimizes the "part of the meat is hot and overcooked while part of it is still cold" phenomenon that is usually associated with reheating in the microwave.  The meat comes out moist and evenly warmed and if you stop at a temp of 135 or so it doesn't turn your perfect medium-rare cooked meat into a well-done dried out piece of jerky.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I often just eat it cold :).  It sounds weird...but I just think of it as roast beef.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• LadyGT
    LadyGT Posts: 109
    Options
    I would eat it cold because reheating it would just dry it out.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Cold in a sandwich or chopped in eggs or on nachos.
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This is the technique I use and I think it works very well, and avoids the number one problem in reheating Tri Tip, drying out the wonderful moist nature of the cut. Technique:  Keep your left over Tri Tip in chunk form inside a zip lock. When your ready to make a sandwich (my favorite use) or anything else. Make some nice thin slices. Fill a sandwich size zip lock with water and pour it out. Place the Tri Tip slices in the bag, seal it,  and drop it in boiling water for a few minutes until the meat slices are heated through. This method keeps the meat moist not dry, and heats it evenly all the way through. Tri Tip makes amazing sandwiches with a nice crusty bread. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Legume said:

Cold in a sandwich or chopped in eggs or on nachos.

I also do on salad for lunch, or in a lettuce wrap with salsa and grated cheese.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've never even seen a tri tip. However, I've had good luck with chicken breasts by slicing them and loosely wrapping in foil, then Into a 350ish oven for about 15 minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    slice thin, dip in hot au jux, place in crusty roll and enjoy french dip. how did you end up with leftover tritip, i would have to make a few extras to do that
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    It was only my wife, daughter and I eating last evening.  Have about half the tri tip leftover. 

I think I may try the boiling bag technique.

Garnerville, NY
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    We always make sandwiches out of it cold with chimichurri

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2015
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    It was only my wife, daughter and I eating last evening.  Have about half the tri tip leftover. 

I think I may try the boiling bag technique.
    One of the reasons we buy the whole roast (free range runs just under 2 pounds) divide it into two pieces - less leftover and it does two meals. 

If you have a water bath, one hour in the SV at 130º-140ª brings it out just like the first time.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • robnybbq
    Options
    No SV here. 

I should have cooked a piece (or half) of it but we have enough frozen meat in the freezer that needs to go anyways.  I rarely fire up the Egg for a small meal for two let alone at all lately.

Wife saw a tri tip in the store so she picked it up and since yesterday was no kids sports/activities and no work day for me we decided to cook on the Egg.  Next time will probably be in April or May if I am lucky.

Cooked a hanger steak on the stove/oven a few weeks ago and it was not the same.  Not close to the Egg but it was what it was.

Garnerville, NY
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I slice the steak in half length wise to make it thinner. Put it on a cookie sheet topped with pats of butter and into a 375 oven until warm. Not dry and it's MDSH favorite way to reheat his steak. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I usually thin slice cold for sandwiches, and enjoy French dip sandwiches.
    But both the patient microwave method described above and the ziploc in hot water will work.
    or slice it up, cook with gravy and serve over rice, noodles, or taters.  Add sour cream if you want it to be a stroganoff.  You could also stir-fry with veggies and noodles for an Asian flare.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited January 2015
    Options
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Legume said:

Man I love hot beaver.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I cut cold slices into 3/4-inch strips and make a creamy sauce to dip them into--with horseradish, or chipotle, etc. This is all part of green vegetable, potato, and meat dinner.

Nothing will bring back the just-cooked crusty outside and juicy interior. Just make it a different experience.
    Judy in San Diego
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Last one I cooked, I knocked the whole 3 lber down myself that day, oye! I nuke, or foil with some au jus in the kitchen box that makes heat. Or scramby eggs and tri-tip. Cold tri-tip sammies. Tri-tip nachos, tri-tip taco's.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • robnybbq
    Options
    Ended up in a rush so I too out a frying pat - put in some olive oil.  Sliced the tri-tip and seared the cut pieces on the pan.  Came out OK.  still tender and flavorful (not like fresh cooked) but it worked.

Taco's would have been a great idea - next time.

Garnerville, NY
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I do these all the time. I slice thin and make them in fajitas. I add the meat at the last moment.