Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What should I do with my old Egg? decisions...

Options
In the last 3 months I have had my dome and base replaced under warranty. Now I basically have two large Eggs. The cracked one is usable and I had cooked on it several times while waiting for the replacements. I was thinking about either trying to repair the crack in the base or just continuing to use it as is. Only problem is I would need to buy a new hinge assembly, fire box and fire ring which my dealer said would be covered for only 3 years since I'd be buying them separately. 

Quoted price for piecing together my old large= $392.75
Quoted price for new Mini Max=$525.04

I'm leaning toward the mini max. Is it even worth it for me to try to use my old large? 
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• 10_42bbq
    Options

For me, it would depend on the intended purpose of the second egg.  Is the capacity most important to you, or would the ability to choose to use the smaller one for smaller cooks be more important?  Think of some of your typical cooks where you would want to utilize two eggs and think about if those cooks would work with 2 larges or a large and MM.

Those are the things I would be considering if it was me making the choice. I don't think there is a wrong choice, just one that might be best for you personally.

LBGE and MBGE.  Also have a seldom used and very jealous Weber gasser. 

Lexington, SC.

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Make the base into a nice herb pot and buy yourself the MM. 

Does your price of piecing together the L include a DMFT or Smokeware cap, fire grate, cooking grate or any other parts you will need? If you decide to rebuild it, maybe some of the members here will send you the stuff they have sitting around the garage. You would want to be very careful about using it anywhere it could start a fire if it truly failed though. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    +1,

I wouldn't want to spend on a cracked base.. that could fail before 3 years, then you are SOL. MM will have lifetime warranty.

I'd maybe use it as an open grill, or a flower pot.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    Make the base into a nice herb pot and buy yourself the MM. 

Does your price of piecing together the L include a DMFT or Smokeware cap, fire grate, cooking grate or any other parts you will need? If you decide to rebuild it, maybe some of the members here will send you the stuff they have sitting around the garage. You would want to be very careful about using it anywhere it could start a fire if it truly failed though. 
    And while you are at it, flip the top and make another herb pot.

or just use the top as an herb pot, keep the bottom, and use it as a topless grill.  No need for hinges that way, just a new firebox and stuff to make a grill.  You could fashion a metal plate or something to use for shutdown so as to not waste charcoal when the cook is over.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @jls9595‌ ...I have an extra hinge/band/handle assembly you can have.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Wow. That sounds great @Henapple. I think I'll take you up on that
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!