Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

From a pile of scraps...(very rudimentary build)

Options

This is by no means an exquisitely built egg holder and pales in comparison to most others on here, but I thought I would post it here anyways as an example of what can be done with some scrap wood and only basic tools.  I grew up in a woodworking household, but lack the tools necessary for true cabinet-making and joinery.

A little backstory:  I recently acquired a LBGE in a table from a dealer.  I previously had a medium that was mounted in a home built/modified cedar outdoor bar.  It was a little high for comfortable use and too big now that I have the large in a table.  I wanted something smaller to hold my medium that I could tuck away in the corner of my garage when not in use.

I scrapped the old bar and used nothing but the scraps and hardware from it to assemble this project.  It is all cedar lumber. I even re-used the SS deck screws.  The only tools used was a mitre saw, tape measure, cordless screwdriver/drill, and a random orbit sander.  Time investment was less than 6 hours and that included dismantling the old unit.

It is not the prettiest or the fanciest, but it is solid and serves the intended purpose. 

ETA: I intend to create an air gap between the egg and the paver but could not put my hands on my little egg feet at the moment.

LBGE and MBGE.  Also have a seldom used and very jealous Weber gasser. 

Lexington, SC.

Comments

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    Looks great!  Id be worried it will tip though.  Why not secure the fourth side?  just curious, I am NOT a woodworker!
  • 10_42bbq
    Options
    busmania said:
    Looks great!  Id be worried it will tip though.  Why not secure the fourth side?  just curious, I am NOT a woodworker!

Both are valid concerns, however I didn't have enough long pieces for the fourth side.  I had the same concerns, but now that it is done, it seems to be very stable.  

I may at some point hang a chain across the front just for some added piece of mind. Or I may build a small table surface to go around it if I stumble across the right materials. 

LBGE and MBGE.  Also have a seldom used and very jealous Weber gasser. 

Lexington, SC.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The wood will char below the egg, Get some sort of spacers under the egg to allow a buffer of air between the egg and the stone paver.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    =D>
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Nice Job, making due with what you got.  It's functional and mobile.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Please do consider a chain, sooner rather than later ... or too late, as the case may be.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• DaveRichardson
    Options

maybe look at an iron bar like a baluster for a porch or staircase bolted across the front......

Looks very good!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I like @DaveRichardson's idea.
    Perhaps just fasten an iron bar across the from with a couple of lag bolts.
    If yu ever needed to remove the egg, jsut back out the lags, and you're good to go.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I like it! I wouldn't be at all concerned about it tipping. I would suggest an air space between egg and patio block though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SanDiegoMike
    Options
    Nice build. It works!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Great..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    As long as the egg is never moved, I agree with Michael. 

My concern is that it looks easy to move by grabbing the top 2X4 next to the hinge (similar to the nest handler) and pushing it across the concrete.  If it encounters a small stone (or other object) while moving, the stone could easily stop the cart and the egg will proceed to do a belly flop ...

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max