Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crockpot stuffing

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
edited January 2015 in Off Topic
Anyone on here ever make stuffing or dressing using a slow cooker?

how did it come out?  What is your recipe? What bread type do you recommend?

I'm thinking if I spatchcock my turkey next thanksgiving, instead of making a stuffing in the oven, I'm considering using a slow-cooker instead.
I've googled some recipes and I'm interested in any ideas from my fellow eggers on this topic.
I trust your opinions more than the random web based ones I find.
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• Zmokin
    Options
    bump, I really do want to hear from you guys & gals.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    That's one thing we've never tried in the crock pot. Stuffing fixins are relatively cheap - run some experiments.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    One other thing, when we cook stuffing in the oven, we add turkey parts (wings, thighs) on top to help season it. In a crock pot this would be a gummy mess. I would suggest egging some turkey parts first to rare/med rare and then put them in the crockpot on top of the stuffing.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I have done it in the past. You just need to be carefull with the amount of liquid used. It can get gummy if you use too much. As for the bread I make my own or use brioche. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Zmokin
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I have done it in the past. You just need to be carefull with the amount of liquid used. It can get gummy if you use too much. As for the bread I make my own or use brioche. ;;)
    Thanks, so then my question becomes, how much moisture does the carcass of the turkey add to stuffing?  Should I slightly increase the broth content?  My normal stuffing uses pre-dried bread cubes I have dried in the oven so as to be completely devoid of moisture.  My onions and celery have been sauteed, then broth added, then wine with some flour & cornstarch that turns it into the consistency of gravy.  It is chilled overnight before it is mixed with the homemade croutons and then stuffed.  The bread is still pretty hard when I stuff, but it is soft when the bird is done.

I do plan on practicing some before the big day, but any help I can get so the first attempt isn't a total disaster is much appreciated.

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I don't use flour or cornstarch just broth. I saute the veggies with a stick of butter, toss with the bread, add seasonings, and add broth the night before to let the bread absorb the liquid. The mixture is a little on the dry side. You can always add more broth as the dressing gets closer to being done and is to your liking. My crockpot takes 4 hours on high but my daughter in laws crockpot takes less time. Stir the pot and becarefull not to burn. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Zmokin
    Options
    GrannyX4 said:
    I don't use flour or cornstarch just broth. I saute the veggies with a stick of butter, toss with the bread, add seasonings, and add broth the night before to let the bread absorb the liquid. The mixture is a little on the dry side. You can always add more broth as the dressing gets closer to being done and is to your liking. My crockpot takes 4 hours on high but my daughter in laws crockpot takes less time. Stir the pot and becarefull not to burn. ;;)
    Thanks, I hadn't planned on stirring, but I'll keep an eye on the sides and stir when I see browning now.

• mitch2264
    Options
    We spent Thanksgiving and Christmas at my mother's this year and this was the cooking method she used, for the first time.  My close to 80 year old mother "Googled" a recipe and found a Paula Dean one she used as a base.  Yep, she actually had her IPad up as she was making it.  Anyway, we all thought it was very good.  As a matter of fact, my wife and I hosted a New Years day party and I actually made the dressing in the crock pot--worked very well.  I basically had the same consistency (moisture) as when I bake it.  6 qt. cooker, place on low for about 6 hours and let it rip.  Oh, spray the crock down wit non-stick spray :).  I think this is our new way to do it!  I did do a smoked bone in turkey breast for each event too but did not use the carcass in the dressing.

Bread type, believe it or not, we have found hamburger buns make a good addition.  Typically we do a mixture, for sure there will be a skillet of homemade cornbread, a package of Pepperidge Farm's and a sleeve of saltine crackers.  Really it is a case of what is on hand.