Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PRIME -Grade DELMONICOS/RIB EYES suggestions?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Trying to create the PERFECT Valentine's Steak ever! Unfortunately my wife is trying to make it difficult for me by wanting different sized cuts. But that's okay, I enjoy the challenge but would love any and all suggestions.[p]My butcher is getting a shipment of Prime grade Delmonicos/Rib Eyes tommorrow for Valentines. I am going to try a TREX style for the first time and will have him cut me a 1.5" thick steak. However, my wife says that she and the kids don't like it so thick, although they do enjoy Med Rare. So, I've read how to SEAR a 1.5" - 2" steak (750 degrees/90 sec per side, take off and let relax for 15-20 minutes, then finish at 400 degrees/4 or 5 min per side.) Is it really crucial to allow it to relax?[p]What approx. times would I do if a steak is only 3/4" - 1"? I would assume 750/1/1 ; relax 15 min ; 400/3/3 ??? What advantages/disadvantages would using a cast iron skillet to sear give me?[p]Oh, yeah, I've read MANY recipes where people SWEAR by simply using Koshar Sea Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Olive Oil and French's Yellow MUSTARD! I've never tried the French's Mustard yet but have seen in on lots of recipes, including Steaks, Ribs,... Can anyone explain how and why because I really haven't read an explaination as of yet and I'd hate to ruin some PRIME Grade Beauties.

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    I bought a 2" thick prime ribeye ($18.00) today and I plan to do it something like Bobby Flay did on his show recently using a bone-in Prime Rib, only I will follow the TRex sequence for time and temperature. And of course I will do mine on the Egg where Flay did his on a gasser. Then I will slice it into smaller pieces for the two of us. Flay used a seasoning he prepared on one side and put that side down on the grill. Then he put a lot of salt on the top side and followed with a self-prepared BBQ Sauce which he brushed on (I don't plan to use BBQ Sauce). He let each side cook until it "crusted" and then let it set for about 20 minutes before he sliced it. Looked pretty good. A nice salad and some wine will round it out.[p]Naturally, I will clean the kitchen afterward.[p]Spring "Lover Boy" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,

Yes let it relax, but the 400,4,4 Sounds too long for med rare, may come out med well. Its best to see what you end up with. Your meat maybe 2" think but only 5 inches long. I'd go with the think stuff, they can cut it thin if they need to.

• Woody54
    Woody54 Posts: 148
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    My two cents....[p]the relax time is simply to let the egg get back down to 400 degrees. I use mustard on ribs and butt just to help the rub stick, but the OO would do the same. You can't taste the mustard.
    Never tried a skillet, but what is to gain? Another dish to wash? I think the meat benfits from the smoke.[p]No matter what the thickness, use a meat thermometer to get the right done-ness (is this a word?).[p]Woody54

• ChileGuy
    Options
    The key is to have a polder or similar thermometer to monitor the internal temperature of the steaks. After searing at high temp, get the egg temp down to under 400 degrees so that you don't croak the probe and with the probe in the thinnest steak cook until the probe registers 120. Take that steak off, put the probe in the next thickest steak and contnue cooking until it's internal temperature reaches 120. Repeat as needed through progressively thicker steaks. You'll end up with steaks cooked beautifully to the slight rare side of medium rare.

• Charcoal Mike
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    I was watching Alton Brown the other day, and he was doing his Filet Mignon episode. He waxed poetically about the virtues of the rest as well, and explained it pretty well I thought. Alton was using a skillet and an oven, but the theory still holds. If anyone else saw the episode and can comment, it would be most appreciated. [p]He noted that if you go directly from sear to 400 degrees, or for us eggers if you just shut down the egg with the steak inside, the steak will go (from outside in) from Well Done, to Medium Well, to Medium, to Medium Rare......meaning only the very center is medium rare. Think of a large prime rib to get a better idea in your head. [p]Now, when you rest the steak after the sear, only the outside is done. The rest allows it to cool, so that when you go back on the grill or in the oven, you are cooking the entire piece evenly. This way the steak will go from well done on the outside, directly to medium rare - with a much larger more evenly cooked sweet spot.[p]Hope this helps a bit![p]- Mike[p]

• Spring Chicken,[p]I watched that episode also and was dumbstruck by his technique. He had those prime rib steaks on the gasser for 20 minutes! He kept opening it and flipping them, all the time basting them with his home-made bourbon bbq sauce. I was astonished that they weren't totally burned. It was much closer to grilling than it was to Egging.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    Spring Chicken,
    i just saw that show this last weekend. i found it humerous that he seasoned only one side so as not to over power the flavor of the prime, and then he slathered it with a bourbon sauce

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Legally Blind Egghead,
    skip the mustard this time.... you have prime beef fer crine out loud.[p]go Trex, it's perfect. though you could just cook it like you always do and it'll still be great.[p]remind the wife and kids that a steak is only thick on the plate! it gets cut up with a knife into smaller bits, and thickness doesn't need to have an effect on how 'done'something is all the way thru.[p]enjoy

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • fishlessman
    Options
    2005233303.jpg
    <p />Legally Blind Egghead,
    i would go with the thicker steaks, they are easier to cook. if they want theirs thinner you could always split them
    01fd68e1.jpg

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman,
    That is a great looking hunk of beef.
    Lunch is toooo far away to see things like this posted.

• Legally Blind Egghead,[p]I guess I will toss in my 2 cents as there are many ways to do great steaks on the ceramic cooker. I cook them very basic and get what I think are great results. This first picture is what I would call a perfect steak and is cooked with the tip of the lump flame about 1 inch above the cookin grid for about 90 seconds a side. I wouldn't have any idea of what the dome temp might be as I don't use a thermometer for high temp cooks. These two steaks are rare and have a lot of soppie which is just wonderful soaked up on some Texas toast. [p]13MVC-011S.jpg[p]This picture is of a couple of steaks that are cooked toward medium rare to medium and again,they are done very basic. This cook was done with the tip of the flame about even with the cooking grid. These steaks were cooked for two minutes and then turned 90 degrees for two more minutes and turned and done the same on the second side for the nice grid marks. [p]46MVC-007S.jpg[p]The steaks are usually salted and peppered and just plain cooked. No T-Rex, no dwell, no rest, and I am satisfied with the results. Just a basic cook.[p]Dave
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Old Dave,
    I'm with you and the simple cook for a steak. I go with a room temp thick steak, a little heavy with salt about twenty minutes before cooking seems to form a nicer crust, some pepper, hot fire, 10 - 15 minute rest, and eat. -RP

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    fishlessman,
    great pic. notice how this "steak" (or "small roast":o) is medium rare _throughout_. reminds me of a nice slice of prime rib, with the plus of having a beautiful char crust on the outside! and a rib bone for dessert![p]if only i could reach thru my monitor...

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Great result! I've a two-incher (bone-in rib, that is) to cook tonight and that's exactly the way the spouse likes them to turn out -- the worst thing I can do is give her something that's beyond medium-rare! How'd you do this one?
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Haggis,
    its trexed with about a 30-40 minute rest and a roast on a raised grill somewhere between 325-350. the longer rest is to allow temps to come down further than the 400 typical and the lower roasting temps are to give a more uniform cook when there is a bone in the roast. i like to cook prime rib this way so that everyone gets an end cut cooked to the doneness they want. dont remember the exact temp i took this off at, but it looks like about 127 to me. i think max says this is called "cote de beouf", or you could call it "end cuts" like i would

fukahwee maine

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks. That sounds very similar to Max's approach on the Naked Whiz site, although he doesn't quite do a TRex. I've had good results roasting just as I would in an oven (about 20 minutes a pound at 325) but I'd like to get more sear/crust as yours has. [p]
  • Harold,[p]I just finished the most AMAZING Prime-grade Rib Eye I have ever had! I followed the TREX method and it was wonderful! I used a hair dryer and got my temp up over 900 and had to tame it a little as my wife and kids don't like a Char. I had two at 1.5" and two at about 1.25". I seard about 1/1, let relax for about 15-20 nins and finished at 400/2/2. Of course, I did the thinner ones slightly less and they were all cooked PERFECTLY, "on the rare side of medium rare!" My 10 year old ate his entire 12 oz cut and loved it. My wife said it was a great cut of meat and was cooked perfectly, however, she didn't love the smokey flavor of the chips. I guess next time I won't use any chips?[p]Oh, by the way, I winged-it as my cheapo meat therm was broken and didn't use one but I somehow lucked out! I have to say that I can't see myself ever using a different style of cooking a steak again (except perhaps different
    chip/chunk variations or non at all.)[p]If anyone out there has never tried the TREX method of cooking a steak, DO IT SOON! And choosing a beautiful piece of meat is a MUST, it does make a difference![p]These steak simply blew away ANY steak I've gotten at most restaurants and I honestly feel it rivaled Tampa's famous Bern's Steak House for me, only MUCH cheaper! I think I deserve a Scotch and a fine Premium Cigar for dessert![p]Legally Blind Egghead