Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Frontier Lump???

Options
What are y'all's thoughts on Frontier Lump? I'm new, so when my first bag of BGE was getting low I bought a bag of Frontier at Sam's, only $10 for a 20lb bag. So far I like it better than BGE. The BGE was to stron of a smokey flavor for my wife, the Frontier is much more neutral tasting. I did notice that the pieces were very different shapes, there were. Couple of big ones that looked to be from a fork in the tree, they were about the size of a softball. Let me know if I'm missing something, but so far I really like it.

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    For $10 you can't really go wrong ....please report all the foreign objects you find. Something has to give.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Lump is like politics and religion around here. Find something you're happy with, experiment occasionally and keep egging.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Glad you're happy with it, I'm not.  Frontier is the only other lump besides BGE available around here.  Haven't noticed a difference in smoke from BGE (this is my first bag) but half the time I have to try to light it twice before it gets going, and there's a few lumps in the bag that are still raw wood, not "charcoalized" at all.

But, if its working for you, go for it!  The price is certainly right.  Maybe I need to try one more bag before eliminating it... 

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    It used to be cheaper than it is now. I think 20# for $9.99. At that price it was ok but any higher, it sparks and smokes too bad. It ain't the best but remember, it's all fuel and it all burns. Don't get too picky.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    I had an awful experience with a bag I bought from BJ's wholesale club last summer.
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options

There have been a couple of non carbonized pieces of wood, I'm half way through my second bag, and I've seen probably 3 pieces.

I haven't had a problem lighting, I use a propane torch, so that gets it going fine.

I'm not geting hardly any smoke from it.  It comes out nice and clear.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Frontier has worked OK for me the few times I've used it.  Only complaint was chunks that were too big and had to be broken up.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lowandslow
    Options
    I used Frontier and would not recommend it.  It took forever for the nasty black smoke and horrible smell to subside before food could go on.  At least an hour.  The food had a strange taste.  I would have sworn someone ground up some tires and pawned it off as charcoal.

Basically, you get what you pay for.  

I am in NJ, so the best lump I have found is Wicked Good.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I use it on occasion.  The only lump I can get around here is Frontier, RO, Cowboy, or BGE.  So its a pick your poison kind of thing for me.  If Im going to pay for garbage, I might as well pay as little as possible.  

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• mmundy81
    Options
    I also recently bought a couple a bags to try.  So far, I am very pleased. I have only done a couple of med to high heat cooks with this charcoal, but my observations so far are as follows.
        Fast lighting with the smoke thinning out quickly
        Reaches high heat easily
        Neutral
        Does not burn up quickly
    I have not had an opportunity to do a low and slow, yet, but so far in my experience, it has been almost comparable to RW.  From what I can tell, from the whiz's website, there was once an American hardwood variety and a South American hardwood variety (the USA graded out really high while the other graded out as average).  From what I can tell from frontier's site, it looks like there these varieties are no longer specified.  I wonder if the discrepancy in quality among users has something to do with this or if it is just a luck of the draw type of deal from bag to bag.

• NCEggSmoker
    Options
    I have used about 2/3 of a bag of Frontier Lump.  I experienced similar issues as @lowandslow.  Nasty black smoke for nearly 45 minutes before it cleared.  It may be that I'm not being careful enough picking out pieces which haven't been carbonized. 

The remainder of that bag has been sitting in the garage for a couple months now.  I've gone through two bags of WGWW and two bags of Kamado Joe both of which I much prefer. 

Those are the best brands I can get here locally. The WGWW (brown bag) sells for $23-$24 for a 22 pound bag and burns nice and clean if a bit sparky.

The KJ sells for $19.99 at my local ace hardware for a 22lb bag (red and white).  Really nice sized pieces, no non-carbonized so far and minimal sparking. I think this will be my go to local lump. 

Haven't yet tried Rockwood or Ozark Oak.  I should really place a firecraft order, but I'm not sure about getting 100lbs of charcoal shipped.  Seems like all the large/heavy items I've had shipped lately have arrived looking like they were kicked off the moving truck onto the street and rolled up to my front door end over end.
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Look for pcs. That begin to burn. They will catch fire, not just like a charcoal burn but a wood burn because they aren't carbonized. I used 1 bag and won't again. RO At wally world is far better. It's also who packs BGE lump. I'm a noob too and have now been thru 5 different lumps. All are different..vastly different. I bought 200# of Rockwood as it has neutral characteristics. Out of all the lesser brands RO was my preference. Now that I've tried Rockwood I'll never go back..there is in fact a difference in lump regardless of commentary. I'm a student of about all I engage in and made it a point to observe what results were.....more smoke, faster burn, smokiness, non carbonized pcs. Etc.
    Once you find what you like stick with it imo.
    Its a **** adjusting how you cook because of various lump qualities.

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    Options
    Interesting the different results from different people. I wonder if Frontier made a change. I've seen no black smoke, and very mild smoke flavor. I'll have to try some other brands for comparison.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

@Wowens - +1 to what  @theyolksonyou said.

But, if you have Home Depot or Wal-Mart near you, then Royal Oak lump is pretty decent, except for the occasional odd bit of weirdness that gets in the bags. What about ordering from firecraft .com? Most of the quality lump brands will cost about $1/lb. Also, watch Amazon for Fogo. The price is up right now, but falls to ~$1/lb intermittently.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I was buying Frontier in 34 lb bags for $20 at BJ's a couple of years ago.  My only complaint was size distribution in some of the bags.  One would be great, full of large pieces, another would have a lot of chips.  Never a complaint with lighting, smoke or smell though. 

I have tried Rockwood, and while many here swear by it, I found to many small pieces in the 2 bags I bought.

I mainly use RO these days, the price at HD is pretty good and i can always get it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I use it sometimes, its OK.  I like it as well as Royal Oak.  The True Value close to my house has it, and I buy it if I need some.  

LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    Got no problem with frontier here ... It's been my go to for the last 4 bags I've bought ... Clean quick burns no bad tastes ... Long burn times ... Enjoy

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"