Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best value for Egg Meats - Restaurant Depot or Costco?

Options
2»

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

I posted this in another thread by accident so......

I priced bone in butts at Sam's club and they were close to $2.50 a pound the other day. Today at RD they were $1.68lb for doubles and $1.44 case price.

That is as cheap as I have seen them in a long time. I like the bone in so I never price them at Costco.

BTW the two I bought were almost 23lbs, I've never see them that big at Sam's Club. Instead of doing three I will probably be able get by with just the two.

Also I got my RD membership when I was buying some stuff for a benefit and they gave it to me with no business or tax ID.

Wow, bone in butts at my local Wegmans are never higher than $1.79/lb. yesterday they were $1.49.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    @anton‌ - I was probably in line cursing myself for picking the slowest checkout line at the time you arrived (I seem to have a talent for doing this). Too bad I missed you.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • CowtownEgger
    Options
    Bought my KCBS membership today.  Soon as I get the membership card my brother and I will be making the trip for sure.  I called the one in Ft. Worth just to verify the KCBS connection and they said "yep just bring your membership card".  
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• RickyBobby
    Options
    Isn't the KCBS card only good for one trip to RD though? That's the way I read it on their site.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • CowtownEgger
    Options
    Not according to @SGH‌
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

Ft. Worth, Tx |  Union Pacific Railroad  |  Texas Tech University

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Isn't the KCBS card only good for one trip to RD though? That's the way I read it on their site.
    You can go in one time a day, everyday. You just have to show your KCBS card at the front and get a new pass. Takes less than a minute. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    You can go in one time a day, everyday. You just have to show your KCBS card at the front and get a new pass. Takes less than a minute. 
    Some RDs will actually issue you an RD card on your first visit, so you don't even need to show your KCBS card. It varies from location to location, but the results are the same.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Most folks are super jealous of my local meat selection. I have the army px and the lowest brisket prices in the country. There are many eggers who live in Austin (50 min away) who pay at least $1 more per lb than me.

I went to RD a few days ago with cen-tex. it was my first time. It was the best egghead store I've ever seen. Lump, meat, bulk seasonings, super high quality (and dirt cheap) cookware, and consumables like pans, towels and gloves.

RD is the real deal. I'll be making the 60 min drive often from now on.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    `I was in both this week. It really depends on what you buy but Costco had the best of the worst deals on Briskets this week. I bought a choice packer at RD for $4.29. Costco had Prime for $4.19. I would have bought the superior Angus choice (same Price) but I couldn't find one under 17lbs. Many over $20. They looked like canoe paddles. I've never seen so many giant Briskets in my life. I heard they were coming but I thiught it would take a few months. Nope. They had one 12 lber and it looked like a small flat stuck in with the monster Packers. Costco was no different. Like Travis said, RD is way more than meat. It's awesome.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'm in awe.  Didn't even know this place existed!

I don't think I'd use cuts of meat this big, that often...but when I was googling around I saw pictures of sacks of oysters at RD.   That may be worth the price of admission alone!

LBGE/Maryland
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @KiterTodd, it's all that and more! I saw sacks like that in the Oakland Ca store.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    anton said:

@KiterTodd, it's all that and more! I saw sacks like that in the Oakland Ca store.

WHOA WHOA don't call Alameda Oakland and have an alamedian hear you, haha.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    That's funny. Don't tell Anton, but I know folks on the peninsula that use Oakland as generic for all east bay - even Hayward.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I had a chance to visit RD a couple of weeks ago for a quick 30 min run through to check it out. Couldn't shop that day. I'll definitely be heading back.

I saw a really nice looking block of ahi in the freezer that was labeled a 'searing block' but there was no price. Has anyone tried this? The color was amazingly uniform, looked like seedless watermelon.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Legume said:

That's funny. Don't tell Anton, but I know folks on the peninsula that use Oakland as generic for all east bay - even Hayward.

Haha, I'm just messing. .. it's funny though because it's true, just like you better not call a guy from Benicia from Vallejo.
  • greenenvy
    Options
    Turns out there's one of these here in SA, so I went ahead and signed up for a tax permit so I can go check it out.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    What's KCBS?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    JRWhitee Posts: 2,540
    I go to both and here in Atlanta the restaurant depot is a better deal for pork butts, ribs and briskets. The rib roasts are a toss up though. 
    How do get into RD in Atlanta?
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    Last week I picked up 10lb bag of mussels for $13 at RD.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    RD is my choice also, but I do buy some meat at BJs or Costco due to proximity.

There is one important thing to consider about Costco. The meat they sell that is not in cryovac bags is blade tenderized.  I personally find that ridiculous and adds a small risk for contamination.  Plus, ribeyes don't need blade tenderizing.  I asked, and  they won't sell it without tenderizing it.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @Legume, we used to call San Leandro south Oakland. Now sadly, Hayward is turning into south Oakland as well, the good news is my area is starting to gentrify, we are seeing a better class of people moving in, it is slow to come, but welcome in my book. I can see snobs on the peninsula saying that, while holding their lattes pinkys out, "yes mumsy, those ruffians down in Oakland need to learn some manners"! LOL
    :P
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • greenenvy
    Options
    I've not had much luck with Costco meats. The only thing I consistently get from there are the cryovac babyback ribs. I asked once why some meats are cryovac and others not, and was told that once they start looking a bit discolored, they're taken out, washed and repacked. Bleh.

your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.” Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential

LBGE in SATX

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    What's KCBS?
    @THEBuckeye ... Google "Kansas City Barbeque Society"

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max