Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Championship Sunday. One of the best Egg days of the year. AGree? Other choices?

Options
This is one of my favorite days to cook. Chilly weather and meaningful football on the tube. That said I have an easy cook today as Mrs Ragu will be making a few appetizers for my all app meal. I am making some Malaysian street wings. Marinated overnight with purée of coconut milk, shallot jalepeno garlic lime juice fish sauce lemongrass and turmeric. Smells like Asian heaven.....pics later tonight if I stay sober enough. What are some of the best egg cook days?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Father's Day is the winner for me.  I am at liberty to cook what I want with the taste profile I want and everyone just smiles.  Now the other 364 days are pay-back.  :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Big Ragu said:
    This is one of my favorite days to cook. Chilly weather and meaningful football on the tube. That said I have an easy cook today as Mrs Ragu will be making a few appetizers for my all app meal. I am making some Malaysian street wings. Marinated overnight with purée of coconut milk, shallot jalepeno garlic lime juice fish sauce lemongrass and turmeric. Smells like Asian heaven.....pics later tonight if I stay sober enough. What are some of the best egg cook days?

Wow, that sounds really good.  Any chance you would post to recipe?  I could really use something to cook tomorrow.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Big Ragu
    Big Ragu Posts: 148
    Options
    these came out amazing.  Always looking for a new angle on wings.  I cooked indirect at 300 for about 45 min till cooked then direct 10 min direct to crisp.  marinated overnight and the recipe calls for reserving the marinade and bringing to a boil for 10 min to use as a dipping sauce.  sauce was good but wings were as good without the sauce. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I have the wings marinading in the fridge right now. Unfortunately I did not have lemon grass so I used some lemon and lime zest. I also added some fresh lemon juice to taste.

I left about 2 cups of marinade out to reduce down tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Big Ragu
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I have the wings marinading in the fridge right now. Unfortunately I did not have lemon grass so I used some lemon and lime zest. I also added some fresh lemon juice to taste. I left about 2 cups of marinade out to reduce down tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
    to clarify the "reserve marinade" can be after the chicken has sat in it overnight.  I am sure this is why they want to bring to boil for 10 min.  essentially to kill the chicken bugs.  you are probably ok as long as you had enough to cover your wings. 
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    How spicy are these wings? You are literally just throwing the entire jalapeño in the marinade after stemming it? They look great, need to try this!
  • Big Ragu
    Options

they had a little heat but well balanced with the coconut milk and other ingredients.  the other consideration is that wings are not very receptive of marinades, so even the strongest flavors don't linger in the meat the way they do with other chicken parts. 

I made a mental note to add an additional pepper next time since I like them really spicy. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the recipie! My first bite was a little underwhelming. It was missing something.

Then I remembered to squeeze some limes over them. That did the trick.

I would defintely make them again but I would add more heat. Even with 2 whole jalapenos they were missing heat. I think I will try some hanenero devil dust, berbere, or chilli powder next time.

8lbs of wings ....
    photo 20150119_141930.jpg
  • Big Ragu
    Options
    Thanks for the recipie! My first bite was a little underwhelming. It was missing something. Then I remembered to squeeze some limes over them. That did the trick. I would defintely make them again but I would add more heat. Even with 2 whole jalapenos they were missing heat. I think I will try some hanenero devil dust, berbere, or chilli powder next time. 8lbs of wings ....
    I agree on the heat. I will add one more jalepeno next time.  Its like I said to greenwave, wings are tough to penetrate with marinades of any kind.  I read on this forum that you can brine them and they become a little more receptive....  I have not tried myself.  grab the Bon Appetit Grilling Guide.  It is full of "different" grilling recipes.  I have made about a dozen things from it and have never been disappointed.  Only complaint is BA recipes tends to be a little ingredient heavy
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    I am going to try these next weekend. Been trying to accumulate the ingredients (bought tamarind concentrate from Amazon this morning). I am wondering even if you slice the jalapeños in half if that would help add some heat?

A couple of other thoughts, my go-to wings are @RRP‌ Georgia Red Wings. These call for a 4 hour salt water soak, followed by a 54 hour marinating process. These are the most flavorful wings I've ever tried, not sure how much is because the initial brine. A longer brine wouldn't be ideal here because of the lime juice, but if you used lime zest instead I'd imagine you could extend the length of the initial soak.

I am also a little weary of heating the marinade which raw chicken has been sitting in overnight. I might make a second batch of it to use as the dipping sauce.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    I am going to try these next weekend. Been trying to accumulate the ingredients (bought tamarind concentrate from Amazon this morning). I am wondering even if you slice the jalapeños in half if that would help add some heat? A couple of other thoughts, my go-to wings are @RRP‌ Georgia Red Wings. These call for a 4 hour salt water soak, followed by a 54 hour marinating process. These are the most flavorful wings I've ever tried, not sure how much is because the initial brine. A longer brine wouldn't be ideal here because of the lime juice, but if you used lime zest instead I'd imagine you could extend the length of the initial soak. I am also a little weary of heating the marinade which raw chicken has been sitting in overnight. I might make a second batch of it to use as the dipping sauce.
    @GreenWave36 Thanks for the tip of the hat! I hope you re-read the recipe I posted. It is 4 hours in the salt only brine and then 50 hours not 54 hours in the marinade. Also it uses lemon juice, not lime juice. For safety safe I would not reuse that marinade as a dipping sauce either. Personally I don't see the need for a dipping sauce with Georgia Red Wings as they are still moist when cooked. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GreenWave36
    Options
    @RRP‌ what is the purpose of the saltwater bath before the marinade?
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    @RRP‌ what is the purpose of the saltwater bath before the marinade?

well it started out of habit. I always brine my chicken whether pieces or parts for at least 8 to 24 hours. I tried my wings for 8 hrs once and I thought they turned out salty testing. OTOH I once tried no brine and I swore the chicken fat made the marinade almost bead up and fall off. To me that 4 hours cuts the surface fat residue on the skin and allows the easier pentetration of the marinade. In fact at that point I reduced the portions of the marinade recipe since a larger volume was no longer needed! Just to clarify the recipe I posted is the reduced recipe.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @GreenWave36‌ I would shy away from lime zest. I used it on mine and was very careful to avoid getting any white, but my sauce still had a slight bitter aftertaste I am almost positive was from the zest.

I made a second batch of sauce. I reduced it down with heat to make it thicker as a baste. The wings wound up not needing any dipping sauce.