Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One wierd rib cook ...

Options
Pigasso
Pigasso Posts: 111
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well, I have been cooking ribs on the egg for a long time and never had a failure .... until yesterday. My usual cook goes like this - indirect set up, preheat egg to 250. coat ribs with yellow mustard then dry rub, place ribs in rack, place rack on grid in egg. Cook 2 1/2 hours, turn ribs "end to end" cook 2 1/2 hours more. Eat. [p]Yesterday I was greeted with BURNED RIBS! Yup - all six racks. The TruTel registered 250 throughout the cook as did the Guru. I burned alot more lump than I had thought I would, and the remenants looked like a volcano shape. Lump was over the height of the firebox and there was only a small amount left around the edges. I was using Picnic lump. [p]Dazed and confused ..... [p]Whaddyathink? [p]I plan to cook prime rib on Thursday (that magic 250 degree mark once again) and would hate another disaster![p]

Comments

• BBCause
    Options
    Pigasso,[p]I think the first thing I would do is test your dome thermometer in boiling water. Sounds like you have a temp. problem.

• Sandbagger
    Options
    Pigasso, I use picnic lump a lot and to burn nearly a full firebox for a 5 hour cook seems unusual. I'd consider if the guru and TruTel probes were influenced by the six racks or ribs...given false low temps on the devices. Just a thought..Tom
  • MadDogMoore
    Options
    Pigasso,[p]I had something similar happen yesterday. I've never before had a bad batch of ribs and I've cooked them 2-3 times a month on the BGE for the last 6 or so months. I bought great looking beef ribs and actually tried to under-cook them a just a little bit. They weren't charred, but they were way over cooked. [p]I can't explain it... I've done the same low and slow method with the exact same style and source of ribs and they were wonderful. Was something in the air? Full moon (yes, or nearly...)??? I didn't think to check the lump afterwards, so can tell you anything other than it was Royal Oak and nothing seemed wierd about the cook. They even looked great, just over done.[p]Land of Maddi

• BBCause
    Options
    MadDogMoore,[p]I'm thinking perhaps its Global Warming?

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Pigasso,
    using that much lump wasnt right, 5 hours at 250 should not have burned much, maybe at best 1/3 of all new lump. But at 2 1/2 hours it would have shown signs of over temp. Were these 6 whole racks or 3 cut in half.

• Pigasso
    Pigasso Posts: 111
    Options
    tach18k, these were whole racks - and both thermometers were calibrated prior to the cook!

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Pigasso,
    Is it possible your guru is malfunctioning? The only thing I can figure on this is the fan is staying on continually, or too long, and your TruTel may have been reading 250 because you had it too close to the ribs. Kind of like a dual problem.

• Porkchop
    Porkchop Posts: 155
    Options
    without having heard/seen more, i'd have to agree with you. could it be that, at some point, the thermometer probe was touching or resting against the meat?[p]i have a general idea of what 250 "feels" like on my hands, etc, when i reach into that cooker. i wonder if it felt hotter that the 250 the thermo was registering, and if something was keeping the already-calibrated thermo from doing its job.
  • Pigasso,[p]Even though I don't have an egg yet, I have had a similar problem on my WSM with my Guru & ET-73. The folks at BBQ Guru helped me with the problem which was the probes were being influenced by the meat. [p]Randy

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    MadDogMoore,
    No, I think it's because the Communists are up to their old tricks again. [p]Spring "Keep'n A Good Eye On 'em" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• MadDogMoore
    Options
    Spring Chicken,[p]Are you suggeting they fried my rib's with their satellite imagery?[p]Land of Maddi
  • Spring Chicken
    Options
    MadDogMoore,
    Could be... They've done it to me a couple of times. Had to be them because I eliminated all other possibilities. [p]Spring "Head Chicken Intelligence Agency" Chicken