Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Tenderloin... (pics)

Options
As I don't hunt, I only get to eat venison when folks give it to me, so it's been a while since I've cooked it and certainly the first time on the egg.

I was going for medium-rare which the internet said was 145 degrees for venison.  I overshot it (steaks were thin and cooked fast) and ended up with medium to medium well, but the meat was still tender with a good flavor.   I forgot how lean this meat is and has a slightly different consistency than beef.   Maybe the fibers in the meat are a little finer. ?   Anyway, good stuff...

While the egg was coming up to temp I marinated in olive oil, soy, garlic, pepper and a splash of red wine.  I sprinkled some Dizzy Dust on one side after they were on the grill.

I flipped them after 3 minutes and things were looking nice...

Tented the steaks in foil and let them rest while I made some broccoli...

This is one of those Weber grill baskets.  I've had in the garage for a while and it was my first time using it.  Heated up to temp quickly while I was bringing the steaks inside.  Tossed in the broccoli and only had to stir it a couple times.  By the time the table was set the vegetables were ready.  

Nothing fancy here.  Served it up with some rosemary bread and called it done.  This cut looks a little well in the photo, but there was pink throughout.   I think for the first time cooking deer meat in a while, I'd rather be certain it was cooked all the way through anyway, even though I'm told this is best served medium rare.   Good meal.  Even SWMBO'd liked it!

LBGE/Maryland

Comments