Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ballotine Chicken THROWDOWN-- winner gets BIG prize!

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I wasn't bitchin' about his pics, they're grrrreat!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I wasn't bitchin' about his pics, they're grrrreat!
    I need to learn how to play this game better :)  I totally forgot about in phone filters.  Maybe next time I will use the wife's iphone 6.

I will say the depth of field in his second picture is awesome!
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac‌ I tried to break out the dslr once. I still can't compete with @hapster or @cazzy or @tarheelmatt‌ or, or, or.... I just go with the crappy phone. Either you like my food or not... I'm not a photog, although I'd like to learn. Just another high dollar hobby.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Just to be candid. This cook is really not that difficult. No more so that say lollipops, stuffed loin, stuffed and bacon wrapped meatloaf, brisket.....
    Sir, you lie :P .  Or maybe you meant no harder than all of those combined?  My kids sat and watched waiting for me to amputate a finger.

With that said, I am really glad I did it and will definitely be doing it again.  My wife already has a bunch of ideas for the stuffing.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Lear
    Jeremiah said:

All the entries looked great! And no one said anything about photo editing, they just had to be cell phone pics. Just remember, he who wins has to call the next one!

Learned something new. I had wished my entry was brighter so I just found I could have made it brighter with the effects on the phone...oh well...still lots of fun!!
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Tinyfish said:
    @‌ Ozzie_Isaac nice First nice job! Second I went with a BIG fork you topped me with 4 forks LOL.
    I figured with all of the fork, spoon, knife talk going on, I better break out the big guns :)

Your cook looked awesome. The colors in your stuffing are great looking. I will admit, I was pretty intimidated by all the beautiful cooks people are doing.  This board is hardcore!

I just went to my shed for my fork. Can't out gun a cannon ;)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I was wondering what the hell that was. :D
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I thought that was a new accessory!

Well played sir!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    Makes sense. But to clarify, noon tomorrow I'm counting votes. \:D/
    Per husker: "Contest to begin Friday 1-16-15 thru Sunday 1-18-15 up to the wee hours into 1-19-15 w/in reason. Last vote to be cast on 1-20-15 by say noon."

@Jeremiah ... tomorrow is the 19th ... so which is correct my friend?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Jeremiah
    Options

Jeremiah said:

Makes sense. But to clarify, noon tomorrow I'm counting votes. \:D/

Per husker: "Contest to begin Friday 1-16-15 thru Sunday 1-18-15 up to
    the wee hours into 1-19-15 w/in reason. Last vote to be cast on 1-20-15
    by say noon
    ."

@Jeremiah ... tomorrow is the 19th ... so which is correct my friend?

Oh crap. I'm blaming the massive amounts of NyQuil on that one. Sorry. You're correct.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I call fowl on @Tinyfish‌ . You are only allowed 2 pictures. Posting them here is skirting the rules!
    So, posting on the official only? So, starting a personal thread after posting to the " Official Thread" would also be a no no? @Jeremiah‌ Rules clarification. :)

This was fun, and it's great to see what everyone came up with. @NPHuskerFL‌ you should start a thread for any extra photos people want to share, after the voting is done
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sounds fair @blind99‌ I took a ...few. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Pfffffft. Been on the egg for ~30 minutes now. Late dinner.

Wasn't hard to do, just hard to do well. I overstuffed and had a few issues tying it up, but it's on and that's all that matters, it'll eat.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I would expect nothing less... Maybe even an animated gif of the deboning?! =D> Kind of odd I look forward to seeing total strangers make dinner, but good to know others enjoy it as much as I do. Man, more awesome entries. @UrbanForestTurnings‌ kudos for taking part, that thing is off the hook amazing, obviously a lot of work. Hope you folks get better soon!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Hell all I could taste was the bacon. And a shot of bourbon. Will never buy bacon again. So easy to do
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I pussed out. Great job guys. Way to man up
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @Jeremiah serious thank you for the inspiration!  I had a great time. Look forward to more of these if anyone else has something in mind.  
  • Jeremiah
    Options
    Hey guys thanks for the thanks but this was @NPHuskerFL‌ 's idea. I just made the thread. I love these too. It's the spirit of competition...It's why we love sports!... the NyQuil is seriously effing up my brain. Turning in now
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Just kidding, It was awesome of you to pony up the prize, you didn't have to waste your time, but you decided to, so thanks anyway @Jeremiah

• UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    It was a blast. Thanks everyone. Did anyone notice how many views this got?
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    stemc33 said:

jls9595 said:

It took me about 45 min again to de-bone my chicken. I suck at this.  I accidentally cut the skin along the back and breast so I had to use up the rest of my meat glue :D  I'll cook it tomorrow and post my entry. 

This was a challenge for me. I think it took me about 45 minutes too. I went through a million pair of nitrile gloves. I would of just used bare hands, but it was a lot easier to just take a glove off to stop/start the iPad as opposed to washing and messing with iPad.

For those of you that haven't started yet and plan to use the video as a guide, I'd recommend having somebody standing by to start and pause the video.

I just put my phone in a sandwich bag and forget gloves. Way way easier.
    Dunedin, FL
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    yzzi said:
    jls9595 said:
    It took me about 45 min again to de-bone my chicken. I suck at this.  I accidentally cut the skin along the back and breast so I had to use up the rest of my meat glue :D  I'll cook it tomorrow and post my entry. 

This was a challenge for me. I think it took me about 45 minutes too. I went through a million pair of nitrile gloves. I would of just used bare hands, but it was a lot easier to just take a glove off to stop/start the iPad as opposed to washing and messing with iPad.

For those of you that haven't started yet and plan to use the video as a guide, I'd recommend having somebody standing by to start and pause the video.
    I just put my phone in a sandwich bag and forget gloves. Way way easier.
    I wish i thought of all of these but sadly I washed my hands about 68 times during this one lol
  • Legume
    Options
    Cling-wrap over iPad.
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    It was a blast. Thanks everyone. Did anyone notice how many views this got?
    holy crap thats a lot for just a couple days
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Plastic wrap on the iPad screen worked great. Someone else suggested it, but I'm too lazy to read back thru all the thread.
  • Legume
    Options
    Posted. Lots of fun, just a little rushed.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    I watched the video twice then went in blind. No live help or video. Made it more exciting ;)
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    These are some tough cooks, very hard to judge yet, I have a few narrowed down though, all are bringing their A games.Keep bringing it , I'm judging the shizz out of this one.

:-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Made a late night decision to do this. Way fun and it picked me up out of a creative rut. I forgot how much fun a good old throwdown is.