Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Pork Loin with Blackberry Sauce ala @smokesniffer

Options
theyolksonyou
theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
Got up early this morning and got the egg rolling. Nice pork loin with S&P and red pepper flakes. Cooked indirect with over RW with no smoke. Cooked quick to get finished before church so we rolled at around 500. Overcooked for me, but it was going to the MIL house and they don't do med pork. Cooked to 160 IT. Topped with blackberry sauce I ripped off from @smokesniffer‌ and plated with steamed veggies and potato salad.

No egg pics as I was scrambling with kids etc. getting ready. sauce recipe here: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1148041/pork-tenderloin-with-black-berry-sauce-pics#latest

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    edited January 2015
    Options
    don't know why this sliced pic wouldn't upload:image Ha! antigravity pork. PIGS IN SPAAAACE!
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    Hope y'all enjoy as much as we do..use lots of sauce.. ;)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    not sure why icons aren't working properly. wink wink
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    and if you can't find blackberry jam, use bumble berry ( mixture of blackberry/blueberry)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    @theyokesonyou ... that's quite the smoke ring for a 500 degree cook.  Looks like a great meal even if the pork was a little more done than you like ... keeping the peace is not over rated.

Little semi-OT story.  I'd made a meat loaf a couple of weeks ago.  The missus leans towards the more-rather-than-under cooked theory.  She looked at the first cut, saw the smoke ring, and asked if the loaf was done.  Our 11 year old grandson was right there when she asked. He looked at it and said "yes it's done", and then, proceeded to explain smoke rings and why the ring looked red.  Good kid!!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me brother yolk. Excellent job =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'm prepping a loin right now. What internal finish would you consider the best? Not 160? Food safe chart says I could go as low as 145, your thoughts, @theyolksonyou?
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @anton‌ Depending on size and cook temp, I'd pull 140 and let it carry over. I've started pulling chops and other lean pork between 135-140 and it makes a huge difference. The in laws eat their steaks like hockey pucks too. ~X(
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    @theyolksonyou, thanks, I got a real lean loin, will go with those temps. Not stuffing it this time. I appreciate the input brother, will post pics of it later, yours looks great by the way.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... on a pork loin, like the Cosco holiday one, can you tell the difference between a 140 and a 145 degree pull?  I tried it at 140 and at 145 and couldn't really tell the difference.  

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Looks oh so good!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @theyolksonyou ... on a pork loin, like the Cosco holiday one, can you tell the difference between a 140 and a 145 degree pull?  I tried it at 140 and at 145 and couldn't really tell the difference.  

140-145 nah. 140-160 absolutely! My temps are approximations cooking or pulled IT. I used to cook pork to 160, but that's too done.
  • Jeepster47
    Options

140-145 nah. 140-160 absolutely! My temps are approximations cooking or pulled IT. I used to cook pork to 160, but that's too done.
    Good!  Coasting to 150 is the secret to pleasing the wife.